Author Topic: Unable to update, backup  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
Unable to update, backup
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:15:11 AM »
Hi,

I posted this already on another similar thread, but I am guessing that I should have done it as a new one. Since August the laptop running Vista Business SP1 stopped updating though I did not notice. In December the backup files program stopped too. Solutions online have all failed to fix either problem. The computer seems unaffected apart from an incredibly slow shutdown at times. I have Norton (yes I know) running.

The files below has the details...

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Tulk

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to update, backup
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 04:19:31 AM »
You can use the program to repair the Reparse points and Shane or Julian may be able to help you with those Package files, but you will have to wait until the working week and given the number of files, will take some work both by whoever picks up the thread and by you in copying them over.

Perhaps a repair install would be quicker if you have the Vista install disk and a valid retail product key.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html
Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a valid product key though the laptop was a refurbed unit. I also have an OEM disk that came with the pre-installed OS. It has a non-microsoft label saying 'Windows 32 bit OEM installation disk; for recovery use only'. I tried to boot from the disk and hit repair, but that did not work. I tried to ask it to upgrade to itself as I believe that is a way of doing a repair install, but its menu for 'upgrade from' only went as far as XP.
So I don't think it is possible unless I have a full retail disk. Am I wrong?'

Is there any value in uninstalling the updates that presumably messed with the registry in the first place? There are about a half dozen?

Thanks for the advice so far and any help in the future.

Tulk

Thanks anyway for the assist.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 04:51:10 AM »
The disk that you have is just a recovery disk that will boot you up into the advanced boot options to select the various repair options and cannot be used to install one way or another.

If just uninstalling the relevant updates would resolve, then that would be given as a solution rather than all of the work that is required in hunting down those files and uploading them to the forum.

This article explains what is required to replace those files which either Julian or Shane will take you through.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(v=ws.10).aspx

You could try the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) but it would just duplicate a log with the damaged cat and mum files the program has identified.
Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:00:19 AM »
Tried the System Update readiness Tool but got 0xc8000247 error message after a few seconds. Does that point to an Intel IRST problem?
It's a Lenovo T61 by the way and I looked for a IRST on the Lenovo site but could not find one...
Tulk

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:01 AM »
There's very little info on that SURT error code and if your machine isn't using Intel then that solution won't apply.

Does Event Viewer give any more info - it will have a time stamped error for when you ran SURT.
Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »
The Event Viewer message reads:
The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog database. The ESENT error was - 583

Tulk

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 05:34:34 AM »
When you click on the blue online help link, does it give any more info ?

I'm going to have to go now for a while and should have been gone before now but will be back later.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:42 AM »
You could try renaming the catroot2 folder but it may be best to wait for those files to be uploaded as you have other problems.

It's unfortunate that you didn't notice the problem when it occurred as at least then, your restore points could have come to your rescue to before the updates and whatever occurred then.

Renaming the catroot2 folder is done from a cmd prompt run as an administrator and the cmds are -

net stop cryptSvc

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start cryptSvc

exit

and then retry the SURT.

You can reverse the effects of that cmd by renaming the catroot2.old folder to catroot2

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:11:26 AM by Boggin »
Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Hi again and thanks once more for being on the case.

I checked the blue online further help click and it led me here
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13827.windows-server-2008-event-id-257-system-catalog-database-integrity.aspx

I did not try the rename as you suggested there may be other problems that a new Catroot2 folder would not solve.

I admit I did not consider the possibility that Microsoft had been a bit quiet -- I imagined the automatic download had been working overnight and not bothering to tell me.

Tulk

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
I see that article tells you to do pretty much what I suggested - except mine achieves the same and is easier :)

You'll just have to wait for Shane or Julian to pick up your thread, but finding and uploading those files for you and then for you to copy them into the folders will take some time given their quantity.

EDIT - Been checking End of Life for Vista Business so you should still have been receiving updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=11732
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:16:09 PM by Boggin »
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 02:52:34 AM »
I've been in contact with Shane about the large amount of files being reported as corrupt and he has suggested that when there are such a large amount it usually related to Intel Chipset drivers.

Can you check if you are using an Intel processor - you can check that by going to Device Manager and expanding Processors.

If you are then in the first instance go to your computer vendor support site to download the drivers, but if you have any problems you can run Intel's auto detect.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

As it warns your drivers could be OEM modified, create a restore point first should you use this program to download the generic drivers.

Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
Morning...
I enclose the spec of the computer from Belarc. I went onto Lenovo's site and found a bunch of software updates and installs, none of which seemed to be appropriate. I had tried to search Intel's site for IRST without much luck> Might the right IRST solve the problem do you think?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »
While I've found IRSTs for 32 and 64 bit, I haven't found one so far for the Thinkpad T61.

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds014958

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds014898

I'm a bit puzzled by the install date Belarc gives of 2013 given that Win 7 came out in 2009, but the T61 can come with Vista Business pre-installed.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/migr-67883

I think you will have to contact Lenovo for the correct IRST to download and install as I can't recommend any of those in the links with them not listing your model.

I can only pull up the UK support site but should your locale be different, then a Google for Lenovo support from your location should give you the appropriate link.

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/

However, I have found the Chipset drivers for the T61 http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t61

Scroll down and enter Chipset in the Component box and then use the dropdown for the 32 or 64 bit version of Vista and the download link is under the Readme one.

Tom.

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 08:26:14 AM »
Lenovo not much help so far... recommended ThinkVantage which offered a bunch of peripheral programs but nothing came up in the 'critical' box. I am going to phone them one more time and then consider buying a new laptop with software that works!
Thanks for the help though...
Tulk

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
That sounds like an expensive solution :D

Did you try the Chipset download ?

Shane says where Intel is used, that can give you that amount of corrupt files and downloading the Chipset drivers usually resolves it.
Tom.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 12:47:58 PM »
The chance of that many files being bad is very very low. There is a known bug in some older intel chipset drivers that would cause a corruption in the cat database file and Windows wouldnt be able to read it right.

So by updating the intel chipset drivers to the newest version the bug is fixed. So if you have an intel chipset then I would update the chipset drivers to the newest you can fine and then try the pre scan again :-)

Basically every file the pre scan check failed because the cat database is either corrupt or it is the drivers. If it is corrupt there is a way to rebuild it as well.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Tulk V Moxhay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
I may be in process of solving it. Despairing that Lenovo had the driver or Intel had the driver, I loaded the HP sponsored Intel Raid driver for that chipset. The update panel has reverted to green and it is working its way through the hard drive to ascertain which updates I need. As I copied the folder with the previous info into a .old it believes I have never updated ever, so I guess it's looking everywhere to find what needs an update -- five hours so far, but I do not think it is stalled as the hard drive seems to be being accessed once a second or so.
Thanks for the message and I will report back if this works...