Author Topic: If Windows 7 fails to complete boot up in normal or safe mode  (Read 10642 times)

Offline em17976

• View Profile
If Windows 7 fails to complete boot up in normal or safe mode
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
Can we use windows repair all in one to repair it.

Is there a version that can be put on to a thumb drive and if so can I have instructions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: If Windows 7 fails to complete boot up in normal or safe mode
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:58:12 pm »
I think there is a portable version for it somewhere but not sure where the download button is for it.

It wouldn't do you any good though because WR needs to be run within Windows.

If your machine isn't booting up at all then your HDD could have died, but check that you don't have a CD in the disk drive or an external HDD or any other peripheral plugged in.

However, if you have access to another Win 7 machine of the same architecture i.e. 32 or 64 bit then you can create a system repair disk with which to see if it will boot up with that.

To change the boot order, tap F12 (usually) as you switch on - select ODD (Disk Drive) insert the disk and press enter.

Press any key to boot from CD/DVD when prompted and if an inverse window opens with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted, press enter then navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Startup Repair, but if it can't locate the OS to repair then I would think that would confirm the death of the HDD.

You could also see if it will boot up into the BIOS by tapping something like F2 and check that the HDD is set to AHCI - it could be under Advanced/Sata Controller Mode

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:41 am »
I was a bit pushed for time when I first responded to your thread that I didn't do it as fully as I would normally have.

We need some more details about the machine you are using, such as make & model, is it a desktop pc or a laptop and do any lights come on, flashing or otherwise and can you hear the fans start up.

If a laptop are you using it on battery and/or AC ?

If no fans or lights come on, flashing or otherwise, with a Desktop that could point to the PSU and in both cases, either the RAM or a failed motherboard.

If the machine has more than one RAM module, then removing one and checking to see if it will boot up and then try with just the other module is a quick check.

With both modules removed and an attempt to boot up may produce memory error beeps or flashing lights - a failure of neither to occur could point to motherboard failure, but my Toshiba laptop doesn't give any indication with all of the modules removed.

If that is also the case then I would advise taking it to a reputable repair shop for further investigation.

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:06:19 am »
Here we go,
Laptop Acer Windows 7 /64 .
It boots to loading desktop and after 4 minutes or so it comes to a light blue screen and it says not genuine windows.

Did a diagnostic safe boot up and the bootlog text show this       It goes on for many lines but most drivers are not loaded

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\snapman.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorF.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hwpolicy.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\fltsrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\disk.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%teredo.displayname%;Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpi_amd64.devicedesc%;ACPI x64-based PC
Did not load driver Acronis Virtual Disk Bus
Did not load driver Acronis TIB Mounter
Did not load driver @battery.inf,%*compbatt.devicedesc%;Microsoft Composite Battery
Did not load driver @netavpna.inf,%mp-agilevpn-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-l2tp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-bh-dispname%;WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ip-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ipv6-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IPv6)

I can access the hard drive as a usb attached and all files seem good.

I can not go to completion in safe mode.

In looking at the folder structure I have used tweaking registry backup.

I think I see a folder named for it but I need Shane to put me in the right direction and instructions on how to pull out the reg file(if it can be done). I was praying that with  registry backup by tweaking working on a primary laptop it could go into the usb attached harddrive and restore the registry.
Maybe another tweak can be made so if the program is on two laptops and the hard drives are both good it could be extended one level.
The OS is genuine but I guess when it has 3000 or more did not loads it goes to the not genuine link.
I have a 3 week old backup so I am sort of prepared BUT this is a learning process and I want to know. I have not run a virus scan on the corrupted hard drive but I would like to restore the registry if possible//

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:48 am »
As you can hook up the HDD to another machine, you can check its health with the Trial version of HDSentinel which will examine and give a report on all connected HDDs.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

I'll email Shane about your problem as he can't always get onto the forum because of other work commitments, but not sure if you may have to wait until at least Monday for that now.

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:05:12 am »
I have hdsentinnel on both laptops. On the good laptop it has health @100%.  The bad laptop has given me a problem previously and it has one weak sector and it claims 99%.
I ran chkdsk/f on it about a month ago and I also have done virus scans malabytes and hitman. Also JRT & adaware.

I will wait for Shane because he is one of a kind. I think it has to do with the registry because it did two days ago a windows update of 20 some files on automatic and it did that once before about a week ago. When going through windows repair it says there are no restore points and there were many of them.

I do have backups of about 3 weeks ago but I would like to learn from this because it boots to a point as I showed above.
I have Glary on and Glary had a problem about a year ago with this file BootDefragDriver.Sys which according to glary would be loaded right where the bootloader quits and fails with all drivers.  A fix for that is to delete that file but I don't have that file.

It would be great if Shane was able to tweak the program that it could do its magic on a usb connected hard drive.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
I've sent Shane the email, so it will just be a case of waiting.

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:50 am »
Thank you Mr B

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 01:08:25 pm »
I made a page showing different ways you can restore the registry
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,3.html

If restoring the registry doesnt help you could have windows repair try to work, if you cant get safe mode up you will have to run it in normal windows, just make sure any AV is turned off and try to close any background programs you can, then make sure the program does ALL the repairs.

Without knowing what the problem is on the computer WR may or may not help, but it is worth a shot :-)

Shane

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:22:21 pm »
Shane, I just looked at the first video on the first page.  You make it look easy.

I'll play with it tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »
Well i tried to make it easy lol

Shane