Author Topic: Win7 Update troubles  (Read 17570 times)

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
Win7 Update troubles
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
Good evening to Shane, good evening to all,

have a problem with Win7 32-bit since about 1 year. Got a lot of help from some experts, now I ran tweaking, but again no one was good enough for the solution. Me I'm just a 1/8 class expert …
The problem is, that my laptop didn't want to install an update which was named something with „c++ redistributable package“ whatsoever I tried. But now, for a while, it at least installed the current security-updates. I myself tried to run SFC in safe mode, but this didn't run. Then I used tweaking yesterday after having backuped the registry and the system like recommended. Now, after all, the whole update list is cleared, only one update is displayed: Definitionsupdate für Microsoft Security Essentials – KB2310138 (Definition 1.213.3732.0). If I go back and run „Search for Updates“ I get the error warning Code 80073712 like I got it the last months when calling for an update manually. One important information before: If I'm well, this problem occured first when I ran ccleaner quite a while before, now knowing, that ccleaner can cause serious problems with windows. But what can I do, having done this erroneously?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Win7 Update troubles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
If it is just the one update you are having trouble with, try having MS Security essentials update instead. Open it and click on the update tab and have it update there.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
Thank you very much, Shane,

for your immediate response.
Now I went to the Microsoft Homepage here https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=5201, downloaded the Security Essentials (SE) and installed it on my PC. I first had to deinstall an older version of SE, what I did. I've installed the current SE, see pic1 in the attachments.
But nothing changed? (See pic2 in the attachments).
And it again says: No updates installed (pic3).
Do you have another recommendation?
(Hopefully that works with the implementation of the pics).

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:43:50 PM »
Just an addition: While it worked always fine with the Security Essentials updates, for the time of about 1 year it always showed me, that it denied to install the obviously demanded „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package“. This package was accompanied from about 11 other updates, which were always installed successfully, but not the „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package“. During that time, when I shut down the system it always said „don't switch off the computer because of some updates“. Then it ever tried about a minute or two to install 12 updates, which included the „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package“, but wasn't successful, what I could determine in the Windows Update list after the next start. And at the next shutdown, it again tried to install these 12 updates for to put in that „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package“ successfully. But again there was noted in the Windows Update list, that the installation of „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package“ failed. So every time, when I shut down the computer it has that unsuccessful trial of an installation of this package.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:40:10 AM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:45:14 AM »
Did it produce an error code ?
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
Hello Boggin,

yes, I get the error warning Code 80073712, but looking for some decent help on the Microsoft Homepage and using some FixIt- Programs, nothing really helped. Rather desperate ...

Now new is, since I have ran tweaking several times, the yellow triangle behind the "Shut Down"-button saying, that some updates are waiting, doesn't occur anymore, the shutdown now is as fast as normal and it stopped bothering me with the note, that it will now install these 12 updates.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:46:59 AM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Well that is good news - lets hope they all install okay.

I have my update settings set to Check for but let me choose.... so having notified me there are updates, they have to wait for me to check what MS is trying to push onto me and then for me to hit the OK button and then Install.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
Hello Boggin,

I set my update settings to "automatically" just for to let me look forward, what will happen.

So yesterday evening it installed 2 updates successfully:

1) Definitionsupdate für Microsoft Security Essentials – KB2310138 (Definition 1.213.3828.0)
2) Definitionsupdate für Microsoft Security Essentials – KB2310138 (Definition 1.213.3732.0)

Both are listed in the Update List.

But when I push the button for manually search for updates, it shows me that red sign with the white cross in the foreground and tells me it was impossible to search for new updates and the error code 80073712 like in the pic2-attachment of my reply # 2 (post of January 22, 2016, 03:19:47 PM) still.

How can I manage to get the green sign again and that it shows me: Update successful - without any error code?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:06:04 PM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »
I had that problem recently and resolved it by running the pre-Scan of Windows Repair where it found problems with the Environment Variables and Reparse Points.

After getting the program to fix those, Check for Updates worked fine - but let's see what SURT finds for you.

Download the appropriate version from https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

It's a largish download so can take some time depending on your broadband speed and then you can view/copy & paste its log from -

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »
Thanks a lot for your late midnight reply, Boggin, :-)

I now immediately ran the pre scan and got some interesting information which seem to correspond quite good with the problem:

394 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.) (Highlighted by me, Nicolay).
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually. (That's right. I tried the SFC and it truely didn't work).

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help. (The log says, there are 339 files missing and possibly 55 corrupt. Now, how can I repair/replace these, if necessary by hand?)
│ Files Checked & Verified: 4.261

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(24.01.2016 01:30:23)

Next information is:

Scanning Reparse Points.
│ Started at (24.01.2016 01:53:02)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Documents and Settings) (Target Path: C:\Users)
│ A Default Reparse Point is missing and this can cause problems on the system.

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\staudt\Application Data) (Target Path: C:\Users\staudt\AppData\Roaming)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\staudt\Start Menu) (Target Path: C:\Users\staudt\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
│ You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.

│ Files & Folders Searched: 270.565
│ Reparse Points Found: 196

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(24.01.2016 01:53:15)

No problems were found with the Environment Variables.

So I used the reparse point tool and pushed the button "2. Repair selected".

It had 6 times the following wording for 6 different files ...

Running Repair on C:\Users\staudt\Start Menu

• Command to Run: Create Default Reparse Point (This Is A Default Windows Reparse Point, Lets Put It Back The Way It Should Be)
  • Calling Checking If Link Folder Exists
  • Link Folder Does Exist, We need to remove it as we can't make Reparse Points for exisiting folders.
  • Setting Owner On Folder (So We Have A Better Chance For Permission To Remove It).
  • Calling RemoveDirectoryW (Only Removes Empty Folders, Just In Case)
  • RemoveDirectoryW Returned An Error, Error: 0 - Das Verzeichnis ist nicht leer.
  • Even Though We Got An Error, Lets Keep Going.
  • Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\Users\staudt\Start Menu" "C:\Users\staudt\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"
  • Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\Users\staudt\Start Menu

... but when I pushed the button "1.  Scan Reparse Points" after the procedure again, it showed the same files missing and obviously didn't manage to repair the errors.

OK, now there we are. Shall I now use the SURT-Tool and post the log? Or are there any other steps in between recommended? (In the past months I have already run the SURT-Tool several times but had no progress).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:33:25 PM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 12:52:02 AM »
Yes, I would run SURT as its log could be more comprehensive and if files are missing then either Julian or Shane will have a clearer idea of what is going on should any files need to be uploaded.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »
Again many thanks for your efforts to help me, Boggin,

I will now prepare for further advice by the named by running SURT for to have the logs ready.

Have a good sunday!

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 03:48:05 AM »
You too :)

I've been sorting problems of my but don't how :)
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 02:54:14 AM »
Good morning America, how are you …  ♪♪♫♪

hope you all had a nice weekend! With a lot of thanks to Boggin, we had a slight progress with my problems during this weekend: The system doesn't bother me anymore with that stupid message with every shutdown „Wait with switching off. I have to install 12 updates“. And then trying for minutes to install and after the next start showing me in the list, that the installation of the „Microsoft Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package" was never successful.

Only a note is popping up from time to time still, saying there are PC-problems, important message and a flag with a red cross right side down in the bottom line of the screen: The new updates weren't found automatically. But the truth is, that in the updates list I can see, that in the meanwhile 4 definition updates for microsoft security essentials were successfully installed automatically since we started the manipulations with tweaking a few days ago.

I have now prepared the SURT logs like recommended by Boggin and am looking for another advice hopefully by you, Shane, to make further reparations of the system.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:34:48 AM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:43 AM »
You will need to post the Checksur log to progress.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »
Hello Boggin,

as you seem to be here in Europe, good afternoon to you ... :cheesy:

I produced an updated CheckSUR.log and here it is.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Thanks for the log and Good afternoon to you too :)

Did the Pre-Scan pick up those missing MUM and CAT files as well ?

That will give Julian or Shane something to work on - not sure but they look like language files.

I'll email Shane to have a look for you.

Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
Hello, good evening,

and thanks for your friendly note, Boggin.

Well, the Pre-Scan delivered rather congruent missing MUM and CAT files. If helpful, I will give any support and else send the Pre-Scan log for comparison.

Question is just where to get this whole bunch of files for the replacement?

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
Hello again to you, Boggin,

just to tell you don't hurry with Shane - I just discovered in an other thread that he moved to a new home, has a lot to do and a lot of children to be a good father with. So we'll give him any time neccessary and patience - there is no computer in the world more important than a good family life. So I'll stay quiet till the next step will happen.

Regards

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
Shane's move is well behind him now, but with updating WR and his computer business commitments, his time for anything else these days is rather limited, but he did say that he will try to get to the forum.

It's getting on for 3:30pm at his locale now so there's time yet for him to come on, but it will take some work for him to dig out those missing files to upload them for you.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »
Oh, hello Boggin,

well, sounds good to me. Couldn' t I get on the search and find out these lacking files somewhere myself?

This story of anthonyjcan - Re: Manual Fix for Windows Updates Error 8024402c - « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:52:14 PM » sounds quite similar to mine, except he is using Win7 Pro and a 64-bit version, but I didn't find out, if anthonyjcan continued his demand somewhere else in the forum?

3.30 pm at his locale – 2.50 am at mine/ours - we seem to be two night owls … :-) But now good enough for tonight.

Have a good night!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:38:32 AM by Nicolay »

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 12:38:10 AM »
For me, the time stamp of your last post is 1:52am and I'm 8hrs ahead of Shane.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Oh, hello,

that fits.

So you in the UK are 1 hr back to me here near to the luxembourgian/german border, and I'm 9 hrs ahead from Shane like the forum timestamp is indicating.

Regards

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
Yes, when I was stationed in Germany we were an hour ahead of the UK but aligned with British Summer Time where the UK's clocks go forward by an hour.
Tom.

Offline Nicolay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »
Hello Boggin,

was off for a while.

Yes, when I was stationed in Germany ...“ Well, that fits. So you in the UK are 1 hr back to me and I'm 9 hrs ahead from Shane like the forum timestamp is indicating.

I'm still looking for a place where to get my lacking files, yet didn't find any till now.