Author Topic: Is it possible Win 7 and Win 8 together and later remove 7 ?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline debkol35

• View Profile
Its not a problem though.........

Right now, I am running win 7 32 bit on C drive.
I want to install Win 8 64bit on D drive.

---------Later can I remove Win 7 32 bit from C drive and  rename the Drive D to C

I am having an idea but dont know whether it will work !!

Suppose, In C drive i have installed Win 7 and in D drive Win 8. After booting into Win 8, I make Win 8 default boot through msconfig.

then I boot from windows 8 USB, and run command prompt.

then I Format C drive and use Diskpart command to change the name of D drive to C and C to D.

Is it possible to do?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible Win 7 and Win 8 together and later remove 7 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:53:19 am »
You can install Windows on a different drive. When you boot into Windows that drive should then show up as C:\.

Then when your ready you can move everything off the Windows 7 drive to the Windows 8 drive, then simply image everything from the D: drive to the C:.

Personally I hate dual boots. I use VMware for my other OS's when testing.

I wont be upgrading to Windows 8 when it firsts comes out. I want to wait and see how things go first. I am not thrilled with the start menu being gone and need to make sure all my work apps work in ti before the move.

Even then I have to wonder what was MS thinking removing the start menu?

Shane

Offline debkol35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
You can install Windows on a different drive. When you boot into Windows that drive should then show up as C:\.

Then when your ready you can move everything off the Windows 7 drive to the Windows 8 drive, then simply image everything from the D: drive to the C:.

Personally I hate dual boots. I use VMware for my other OS's when testing.

I wont be upgrading to Windows 8 when it firsts comes out. I want to wait and see how things go first. I am not thrilled with the start menu being gone and need to make sure all my work apps work in ti before the move.

Even then I have to wonder what was MS thinking removing the start menu?

Shane

Thx MR.Shane . :) I agree with you . I hate that feature given in place of start menu !!! it s*** !!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
I know there are some free replacements for it. But I want to wait and see what MS does when the backlash comes from users.

I understand they want to use metro, fine. But totally remove the start menu? Do they not know how BAD normal users hate change?

It feels like they rushed 8. Made big changes to handle touch screens and to compete with apple. But I cant help but feel big mistakes where made. Curious how it will go. So even though I will get my hands on it when it comes out I wont be replacing my Windows 7 just yet. If 8 proves to be a good upgrade then I will.

Just like with vista. I stayed on XP till 7. When 7 proved to be a good replacement I upgraded to it, totally skipping vista. I don't upgrade just because it is new lol :wink:

Shane

Offline debkol35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »
I know there are some free replacements for it. But I want to wait and see what MS does when the backlash comes from users.

I understand they want to use metro, fine. But totally remove the start menu? Do they not know how BAD normal users hate change?

It feels like they rushed 8. Made big changes to handle touch screens and to compete with apple. But I cant help but feel big mistakes where made. Curious how it will go. So even though I will get my hands on it when it comes out I wont be replacing my Windows 7 just yet. If 8 proves to be a good upgrade then I will.

Just like with vista. I stayed on XP till 7. When 7 proved to be a good replacement I upgraded to it, totally skipping vista. I don't upgrade just because it is new lol :wink:

Shane

I Completely agree with you. I am searching ms paint, calculator, wordpad, and other tools like a mad dog but unable to find them !! where the hell they go !! I should not have rushed and installed it !! DAMN... .. If they wont change this interface then I think it will flop like vista !!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »
I Completely agree with you. I am searching ms paint, calculator, wordpad, and other tools like a mad dog but unable to find them !! where the hell they go !! I should not have rushed and installed it !! DAMN... .. If they wont change this interface then I think it will flop like vista !!

I agree. I can understand the new interface for touch pads. But for the desktop? Why on earth would you have a touch pad designed interface run on a desktop!

Shane