Author Topic: Corrupt Service Packages  (Read 12716 times)

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
Corrupt Service Packages
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Greetings..  HALP! :omg:

Here is the situation:  Tuesday Feb 09 I was ready to log off for the night.  Windows Update showed that there were a number of items ready for download/install.  I selected all the items, and left the computer running all night to download/install.  I woke up Wednesday morning to a frozen computer that had two "download in progress" windows, but nothing showing any progress.  I know you are not supposed to disturb this, so I left it running and went to work.  Back again, and no progress.  After letting this go on for 24 hours, I was forced to power off the computer.  Of course, everything is screwed.  Windows will start, and if I log in immediately, I can get to my desktop.  However, everything hangs, and I am no further forward.  Safe mode will work just fine.  I then heard at work about you guys, and tried the windows repair.  Everything appears to have been fixed, with the exception of a HUGE list of corrupt service packages, and a reccomendation that I ask for help here.

Consider this a plea for help! Please find attached the text file scan results listing the corrupt files.  I am going to need some assistance to find and instructions on how to replace these files..

Thanks in advance!!!

Forgot to add:  Running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 64 Bit
2.33 GHz CPU,  8 GB Ram
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:48:39 PM by Wulferious, Reason: Update some info »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Corrupt Service Packages
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »
Does your computer use an Intel CPU ?

It has been noted that when WR reports that much Package file corruption on an Intel based machine that downloading the chipset drivers usually resolves, but I'll move your thread to the CAT and MUM File Requests section so that it attracts the best attention.
Tom.

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
Hey Boggin,

Yes, my CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz

Should I try to find a "most recent" download of the chipset drivers?

Thanks heaps!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
Yes, give that a try and let us know if it resolves.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
yes let me know if that fixes it if not i'll assist you more on this.
Julian

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
Well, good news and bad news..

First off, I now have normal windows access!  I can log onto my desktop without anything hanging, and there is only 1 service package that is outstanding in the list. 

Bad news, I no longer have audio, and although the devices are labelled as working properly with current drivers, the services will not turn on, although I have used the Windows "Fixit" tool with no result.  Windows Update also will not work.  The most current chipset driver for my CPU is from 2009, and is currently active.

Here is the WR log list:
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.2 - Pre-Scan
│ Computer: OWNER-PC (Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2) (64-bit)
│ [Started Scan - 2/15/2016 12:05:28 PM]
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (2/15/2016 12:05:28 PM)

│ These Files Are Possibly Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature): (Total: 1)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB2834886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.mum

1 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

│ Files Checked & Verified: 8,080

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(2/15/2016 12:08:13 PM)
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
│ Scanning Reparse Points.
│ Started at (2/15/2016 12:08:13 PM)

│ Reparse Points are OK!.

│ Files & Folders Searched: 517,353
│ Reparse Points Found: 81

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(2/15/2016 12:09:03 PM)
│ Checking Environment Variables.
│ Started at (2/15/2016 12:09:03 PM)

│ No problems were found with the Environment Variables.

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (2/15/2016 12:09:03 PM)
│ [Finished Scan - 2/15/2016 12:09:03 PM]

• Scan Complete - Problems Found!

• You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.

• While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.

• But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.

• If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Thanks again for your time and effort!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
Can you run Windows Repair in Safe Mode again - no need to bother with the Pre-Scan.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
I've uploaded a zip file in it are the missing files and reg file. The reg file is used to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer. Go ahead and merge that file with your registry.

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

The missing files that are in the folder that i've uploaded need to be placed in  C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run the pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :cheesy:

(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
Julian

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
Ran the WR in safe mode again, and checked in to find the file posted by  Julian.  I imported the registry item, and put the file into the packages folder.  I then ran WR scan again with the CAT selection, and here is the result.  Also, my sound service still will not activate.

Here is the scan result:

│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.2 - Pre-Scan
│ Computer: OWNER-PC (Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2) (64-bit)
│ [Started Scan - 2/15/2016 7:11:47 PM]
│ Started at (2/15/2016 7:11:47 PM)

C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB2834886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.mum

1 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(2/15/2016 7:25:13 PM)
│ Started at (2/15/2016 7:25:13 PM)

│ Files & Folders Searched: 526,737

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(2/15/2016 7:25:58 PM)
│ Started at (2/15/2016 7:25:58 PM)

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (2/15/2016 7:25:58 PM)
│ [Finished Scan - 2/15/2016 7:25:58 PM]

• You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.

• But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.

• If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:49:13 PM by Wulferious »

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:58 PM »
alright have you ran the repairs yet? you should run the Repairs the pre-scan is only optional and helps with windows update but it's not a repair.
Julian

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »
Sorry for the delay, and my bad for not making my previous procedure clear...

Yes, I ran the repairs before I sent that previous scan.  I have just run the repair routine a second time, and here is the result of the scan immediately afterwards:

│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.3 - Pre-Scan
│ [Started Scan - 2/16/2016 11:42:35 PM]
│ Started at (2/16/2016 11:42:35 PM)

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(2/17/2016 12:00:48 AM)
│ Started at (2/17/2016 12:00:48 AM)

│ Files & Folders Searched: 523,141

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(2/17/2016 12:05:33 AM)
│ Started at (2/17/2016 12:05:33 AM)

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (2/17/2016 12:05:33 AM)
│ [Finished Scan - 2/17/2016 12:05:33 AM]

I am at your service for any other info you require!

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
weird let's see the mum file before you replace it can you right click and go to properties look at the General tab and on the bottom where it says security can you see if it says you have to unblock it? if so hit that then replace it then re run the pre-scan
Julian

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
That "unblocked" issue was exactly so.  I have now unblocked it, and as soon as I come back from work tonight, I shall run the repairs again, and then scan to see how things go.

Thanks, Julian!

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »
We seem to be stuck with that KB2834886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.MUM file.  I unblocked it, but it will not STAY unblocked.  I ran the repair mode twice, once in safe mode after unblocking that MUM file, and once in normal windows after again trying to unblock that MUM.  Here is the scan log, and my audio services are still in the same state..
│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.3 - Pre-Scan
│ [Started Scan - 2/18/2016 12:05:24 AM]
│ Started at (2/18/2016 12:05:24 AM)

│ Files Checked & Verified: 8,088

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(2/18/2016 12:24:38 AM)
│ Started at (2/18/2016 12:24:38 AM)

│ Files & Folders Searched: 524,080

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(2/18/2016 12:32:28 AM)
│ Started at (2/18/2016 12:32:28 AM)

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (2/18/2016 12:32:28 AM)
│ [Finished Scan - 2/18/2016 12:32:28 AM]

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
Change of plans i've been talking with shane about this and he say's let's see if we add both the cat and mum files for that file back into the packages folder. because mum files have no digital signature but the cat files do and so since it only shows the mum file's as the one missing the digital signature lets add the cat file with it as a pair. here is the files just do the steps outlined here.
I've uploaded a zip file in it are the missing files and reg file. The reg file is used to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer. Go ahead and merge that file with your registry.

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

The missing files that are in the folder that i've uploaded need to be placed in  C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run the pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :cheesy:

(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:46:33 PM by Julian »
Julian

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »
Did so..  That certainly got rid of the KB2834886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.MUM file issue.  A scan afterwards showed no problems.  However my audio services still do not work.  I ran the WR repair cycle to see if that would carry on to fix the audio, without any luck.

When I was starting to write a message reply, my computer hung up again in normal windows mode.  Eventually I received a message after my screen went black that stated "Logon process has failed to create the Security Options Dialog".  I clicked the little box, and the main screen came back, and hung up again.  Black screen, and the same failure of security options.  In safe mode, it has not shown up.

Getting closer!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:35 AM »
Which AV program are you using ?
Tom.

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
I am using System Mechanic Professional for Anti-Virus.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
alright so what exactly happens with your sound? does an error pop up or does sound not play at all or does it show anything on the notification bar on the bottom right of the screen?
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
Did so..  That certainly got rid of the KB2834886~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.0.MUM file issue.  A scan afterwards showed no problems.  However my audio services still do not work.  I ran the WR repair cycle to see if that would carry on to fix the audio, without any luck.

When I was starting to write a message reply, my computer hung up again in normal windows mode.  Eventually I received a message after my screen went black that stated "Logon process has failed to create the Security Options Dialog".  I clicked the little box, and the main screen came back, and hung up again.  Black screen, and the same failure of security options.  In safe mode, it has not shown up.

Getting closer!!

An AV program has been known to cause this error and as it doesn't occur in Safe Mode would point to a 3rd party program.

Check to see if it occurs in a clean boot, but if your AV program reinstates itself in the clean boot, then you would need to uninstall it to be sure it wasn't the cause.

It's possible that adware or an infection has taken out the audio.

On two occasions when I was asked to clean the same computer, there was a red cross on the audio icon and running AdwCleaner reinstated it each time without the need for any driver downloads.

I don't know how effective System Mechanic is as an AV but it may not have recognised a PuP as a threat.

Run a scan with AdwCleaner and if the audio still hasn't returned, follow that up with a scan with Junkware Removal Tool

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

https://www.malwarebytes.org/junkwareremovaltool/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:30:53 PM by Boggin »
Tom.

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
Julian,

The Windows sound service will not activate no matter what.  I even tried the Windows MrFixit tool, and there is no luck there either.  The sound icon on the bottom right of my screen shows the red "X" and indicates "The Audio Service is not running".  No sound at all, and no pop-up error.

Boggin,

I ran both those tools you had posted, and they did find a few minor items.  Ask.com toolbar and Dealyply (which I had disabled).  I then totally disabled System Mechanic and all services related to System Mechanic shut down, and tried a reboot.  Desktop came up quite fast, but still no sound service.

Since yesterday, I have not had that "Logon Process has failed etc etc" appear.  So that gives me hope...

And thanks again for all your hard work, guys.  This is truly appreciated..

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 01:00:44 AM »
It's possible that one of those scans resolved the error message you were getting on boot

Are there any alerts or black downward pointing arrows against it in Device Manager and does Event Viewer or Reliability history have anything recorded ?

Is it listed in the BIOS to enable or disable ?

Sometimes resetting the CMOS is required to restore the sound, but if you have any headphones, you could plug those in to check for any sound or beeps.

With the headphones plugged in, you may hear a beep when you double click the audio icon in the system tray.

Do your Windows Updates work now ?

Tom.

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
Device Manager is showing both the on-board and PCI sound devices as working properly and enabled.  I have always used headphones, and when I click on the audio icon, nothing occurs.

On-board sound is selected as enabled in the BIOS.  I had earlier tried disabling and re-enabling the on-board without any change.

Windows Update "sort-of" works.  I had just finished running the Windows MrFixit for Windows Update, and it indicates corrupt files.  Just on a whim I ran Windows Update from the Start menu, and it found a Defender update, and installed it.

Event Viewer has a large list of items to search through..  Any place you could point me to where I should look for what you need?

And sorry, I have no idea where to find Reliability History..

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
You can find Reliability history by going Start - start to type reliability and you will see View Reliability history highlighted then press enter.

Click on any red crosses or yellow alerts and then the View details link for each item listed in the lower pane.

The Check for a solution is a waste of time.
Tom.

Offline Wulferious

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:38 PM »
Well, the method you gave me doesn't give a place to type in reliability history..  So I did a search and found a link through Administrative Tools to the Reliability Monitor..  I hope that is where you needed me to be.

My system has been showing a stability level of 10 since October 2015..  Then the Windows Update crash brought things down on Wednesday Feb 10.  All errors are showing a "disruptive shutdown" 

On Feb 11, showing boot failures and disruptive shutdowns.
Feb 12, svchost.exe CryptSvc failures and disruptive shutdowns.
Feb 13, huge amount of svchost.exe CryptSvc failures.
Feb 15, looks to be a lot of Windows Updates that I was not aware of...  All showing success! :shocked:

Now, I have spent some time trying to untangle my way through Audio Services, and I may have found something..  When I was looking at dependent services for Audio, I found that the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder will not run because it cannot find the system path "C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted"  Now I am at a standstill because I have no idea how to recover this..  I attached a snapshot of the services screen.

Hope this helps!