Author Topic: computer freezing  (Read 5851 times)

Offline MRWayne

• View Profile
computer freezing
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:39:20 am »
Even after using the Windows Repair tool from Tweak.com, my laptop is freezing up. Only method to free it is to turn off then on again. The only solutions I fnd on Google is to download a software tool. I want something I can trust.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: computer freezing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:44:29 pm »
I assume the computer works okay in Safe Mode with Networking for you to download/run WR ?

Have you installed anything or updated any drivers recently ?

Depending upon how long this has been going on, you could try your restore points to prior this and the restore would be best done in Safe Mode.

In the advanced boot options you could also try Last Known Good Config but if the machine boots up okay, then that may not achieve anything.

Which antivirus program are you using ?

In Safe Mode - go Start - type devmgmt.msc and press enter, then in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices look for any yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows.

In Safe Mode go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK then reboot to see if it still freezes.

Your antivirus program could reinstate itself in this mode, so you may have to disable it in Safe Mode to eliminate it as a possible cause.

If it still freezes then go back into msconfig and under the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services and then click on Apply - OK then Restart to see if it still freezes, but it's a must that you hide all MS services first before clicking on Disable all - otherwise you are going to have serious problems on top of your current one.

If either resolves then in msconfig if just disabling the start up programs resolved, then enable each one in turn and reboot until the freeze reoccurs and do the same for the non-MS services if that resolved.

In Safe Mode go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the data, if you aren't presented with a pane with Critical, Error etc. then click on Administrative Events in the left pane then on Open in the lower right pane and look for time stamped events when you were last booted up in normal mode and the freeze occurred.

It may also be worth running an antimalware scan with a robust scanner in Safe Mode with Networking with something like the ESET Free Online Scanner and it may be prudent to run this first before you try your restore points.

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Check the boxes for PuPs and PuMs then click on Advanced and check the boxes except for Archives and Proxy.

This scan can take some time depending upon how much you have installed.

Give us some feed back on what you find by trying those suggestions.

Offline MRWayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:42:34 pm »
I do not have any antivirus program besides SuperantiSpyware and Window Defender. I use to download antivirus software but I have been told by several Technicians to never download those programs that advertise online.

I will try your suggestions and then give you some feedback. Thank you very much for all your help so far.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:21:35 am »
Which version of Windows are you using ?