Author Topic: Windows update cannot currently check for updates  (Read 25663 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows update cannot currently check for updates
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
The site will have been Digital River and an OEM sticker key wouldn't normally activate an install using an ISO from there.

What did activate windows report ?
Tom.

Offline BigBear68

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
I used the product key on the sticker and it reactivated my windows.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2016, 01:05:54 AM »
I tried a repair install once and while it wouldn't accept the Toshiba OEM sticker key, it did with the Toshiba generic key which a program like Belarc Advisor or Magic Jellybean will give, but when I entered activate windows, it came back as not a genuine product key and the same has happened to others - hence my concern.
Tom.

Offline BigBear68

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
In that case I will consider myself lucky I didn't add another problem to my list,I followed the reinstall instructions on the Windows 7 help forum posted by Brink and it accepted my key fine.Only problem I have now are the actual updates,it took 5 hours of checking to find just over 200 updates of which I selected 100,after 4 hours of downloading and installing updates staying at 0% it was midnight so I decided to turn off the laptop and expected to see the message it was downloading and installing updates and would shut down after this,I was surprised the laptop shut down straight away so for 4 hours it hadn't done a single thing !!,.I have been following a program called Windows Update Mini Tool here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-update-minitool.380535/ and might give that a go instead.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2016, 06:28:20 AM »
On the odd occasion I do a factory reset, I leave the updates until last and let them download overnight, but to have them continue, you would have to change the power settings to never turn the machine off while on AC although the screen turn off you can leave as default.

As the updates had or were in the process of downloading or installing, then shutting the machine down would stop that operation.
Tom.

Offline BigBear68

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi Boggin i am in need of you assistance again  :sad:,as you wrote above about the windows key i have just received a notice  my product key is invalid,can you help me out with this new issue as it seems you have had this before.

Offline BigBear68

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
Sorry managed to sort it but what you stated above turned out to be true and the product key will only run for a few days before you have to enter the OEM key,what is annoying is the guide i followed clealy stated enter your product key and made no mention of a OEM key grr,for anyone in a similar situation this is what i did.

Click on the Start button.
In the Search box, type
SLUI 3
hit the Enter Key then you will be asked to enter your product key.
with luck it should activate over the internet.

So another problem sorted,imback to (slowly) installing updates woohooo.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Sorry - a bit late in getting back, but hopefully you have resolved the key problem.

At the time I didn't delve into it and took it as read that neither of the keys I could use would activate, but on reading your post, have had a look and found that you can do it from the cmd prompt so that it will accept your COA sticker key.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-oem-product-key-be-used-to-re-install-windows/2669057f-28d6-455c-bc44-e0e68c2e3b33?auth=1

Should yours still not come out as genuine then give this method a try.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Is yours an oem ? That came pre installed let me know and I can get you your slp installation fixed it requires a cert and the oem key.
Julian

Offline BigBear68

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:27 PM »
Thanks again guys for the help,it would seem everything is good now because when i check system from the control panel it is showing as windows is activated and genuine.Windows came pre installed on my laptop with a recovery partition and no disc as is the norm,that was why i created an ISO from Digital River and that was what i used when i did the repair reinstall.At the time i didn't realise the product key was not the correct way to activate windows as on the set up screen it seemed to accept the key fine.I find it confusing having a product key sticker on a p.c when i wont actually activate windows lol.

So my next question is what is the best way to get your OEM key so i can write it down and keep it safe with my windows disc in case i need it in the future,Belarc or magic jelly bean as Boggin has stated ?.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2016, 12:51:41 AM »
The key that the likes of Belarc and Magic Jellybean give is the vendor's generic key and can be different to what is on the sticker that will be somewhere on the case.

I don' know why it is, but for some reason this can fade so that it becomes illegible, so I have written mine down for each laptop while the generic key is the same for both Toshiba laptops.
Tom.