Author Topic: Computer shuts down during repair stage  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Hape4me

• View Profile
Computer shuts down during repair stage
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:29:24 am »
System info- Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Program- Windows repair (All-in-one) v 3.8.3
Background info: Since the Feb 9th patch Tuesday I have one Windows update that continually has failed to load. It is KB31222648 (EDIT- correction, that should be KB3122648) a Security patch for .NET Framework 3.5.1  After inquiring of the person who built my system, he recommended I first try your program to see if it fixes it. I have no other failed Windows updates since I got the machine 2 years ago, and have not noticed any problems on the system.

I ran Windows Repair in safe mode w/network support after a power reset
I did the prescan which found no problem with Windows Packages files, no Environmental errors, however it found 43 reparse errors which I let it fix. I run Trend Micro Titanium AV which indicates no virus or malware issues on a scan.  Check Disk was found to not be needed, and System File Checker found no problems. so I did a registry backup and restore point, and proceeded to repairs.

About 3 minutes into the repair process, my system shut down. I restarted, and tried from the beginning again and got the same result, after which I went back and restored the registry from the backup point and came here.  Any ideas on what is going on? Why would the Repair process cause my PC to shut down mid process?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I am tired of Win Update daily insisting on trying and failing with this one patch and hoped your program would fix it. for now I may just hide the update until I can figure this out.
~(right now not so) Hape4me
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:06:16 am by Hape4me »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Computer shuts down during repair stage
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:54:59 am »
Are you sure sbout the update number? I did a quick search for KB31222648 and Google didn't come up with any results. I was looking for the link to download and install the update manually, which would have been my suggestion to successfully install it. Sorry, but don't have any suggestion as to why the computer shut down - did you get any error messages?
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Hape4me

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:04:36 am »
Sorry, Still_Game, I had an extra 2 in the update # above. It should be KB3122648  I will edit the original.
I have tried the update manually and automatically, same result "failed". There was an error message for the WU update failure, code 80073712 but the "get help with this error" did not help.

I got no error message from either Windows or Windows Repair program regarding the shutdown. The system just shut down and when I restarted there was no message. Thanks for trying and responding.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:19 am »
Googling that error suggests that the Windows Update Readiness Tool might resolve it. Perhaps worth a try? No experience with WURT myself but somebody more skilled than me may advise further - good luck!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update-error-80073712#1TC=windows-7
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:23:50 am »
This is the direct download for KB3122648 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50970

If you still get error 80073712 then download the appropriate SURT to see if that resolves.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

Its report can be found in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

I see SG has beaten me to that :)

Offline Hape4me

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 01:43:10 am »
hmm I think I tried that, but maybe I picked the wrong file. I know I am running 64 bit, but the update offers x64.msu or ia64.msu with no explanation fo the difference. (I assume the x86 one is not my correct choice)
I have an AMD A10-6800K APU processor if that helps, so I am guessing the x64 file rather than the Intel one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:52:56 am by Hape4me »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:38 am »
I don't know what you are looking at but the one for Win 7 x64 in my link gets you the download page.

I'm not sure why your computer shut down during WR in Safe Mode with Networking because at 3 mins it would still have been doing the Permissions reset.

Event Viewer may only have recorded an Event ID 41 which tells you absolutely nothing but you could look for similar time stamped errors.

Memory next comes to mind and while I've never had any faith in the built in Memory Diagnostics, you could run that by going Start - type memory then click on the Windows Memory Diagnostics.

If you have more than one RAM module fitted, it may be best to remove one before running the diagnostic, but only handle the card by its corners and place onto a non-conductive surface.

You haven't said which make and model of computer you are using but the likes of Dell and HP have some decent diagnostics of their own.

Offline Hape4me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:47:04 am »
Boggin, your link for the direct download for KB3122648, when I click the download button it gives 3 options for the file, x64, ia64 (which I understand to be for Intel itanium systems) and x86. I used the x64 version and that failed.

I then ran the SURT for Win 7 64bit and tried the direct download for the update again and still no success.

earlier I checked my memory using the built in mem check and there were no reported issues. Also, I have had no other problems on the system. It has 8gb RAM but I do not recall the configuration at the moment of the sticks. As for the make and model, it is a custom built system with a 110gb solid state C drive and a separate 400gb D drive for data.

The event viewer for that time period of the shutdowns shows one critical error Event ID 41 as you said, and it is preceded by several 7036 and 7045. I will try the Tweaking Windows Repair program again and pay attention to the event log again after work today and capture them. You are correct, it was during the permissions check and reset that the shutdown occurred. Thanks for trying. I will pay closer attention and copy the logs next time.  For nowe the mystery continues but I need some sleep.  :sleep:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 08:46:05 am »
Ah - I understand now - the Windows options you were getting were for the update and not SURT.

Have you checked the Checksur log to see what it has reported ?

If you click on either of the 7036 or 7045 events, more info will appear in the lower pane and clicking on the blue online help link can sometimes give the cause and possible solution.

You can copy & paste any event into the reply box by first clicking on an event and then on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane and then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 02:46:02 pm »
Did the chkdsk list any KBs in bad sectors ?