Author Topic: Mouse is unknown device SOLVED  (Read 15849 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Mouse is unknown device SOLVED
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:43:15 am »
Hello All, I have a Lenovo laptop and although it has a key to turn off the touch pad it reverts back to touch pad use after a restart or fresh boot up so I went into mouse settings to switch off the touch pad when a mouse is connected. This has been working perfectly since obtaining the laptop in December of last year.  Twice in the last 2 days a panel has popped up saying that a recently connected usb device is unknown and not recognized by Windows. The only device connected is the mouse and upon receiving this message the mouse light goes out and becomes inoperable. Unplugging the mouse and inserting it again resolves the problem but I cannot understand why the problem occurs as it can happen after a few hours of use. The mouse is a standard one and did not come with a driver disk. Thanks for any info.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:15:49 pm by as1953, Reason: solved »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Mouse is unknown device
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:57:11 am »
Hi, It seems that it is driver problem. Have you troubleshoot the issue, by going to the device manager, and right click the unknown device and then see whether there is any error message in it. If there is yellow exclamatory mark, then, update the driver by using the properties.
                                  If the problem is different, then will say some alternative
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:15:32 am »
Hello jraju, yes I did check the Device section but only after I had reconnected the mouse and it said all is correct. If it happens again I will use the touch pad and check again but do not know if that will find anything wrong. I have W8.1 on this system. Thanks.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:21:38 am »
Hi, You mean to say that it hangs, the pointer never moves, and you loose the electricity connection. and rebooting solves the issue.
                      Could you say exactly what the problem is? Because, sudden stop of power to mouse, is to be considered as a annoying issue, for you cannot even move anything and you have to force power off the computer. If this is, then i will suggest , some registry tweak, that helped me to solve.
                 I tried update of drivers, manufa. drivers, etc. But , during hectic activity with slow speed opted pc, this issue is becoming increasingly annoyed.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:31:48 am »
When it occurs I just remove the mouse and plug it in again and it continues to work ok. The fault has only occurred once each day for the last two days.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:03:58 am »
No, it is not the solution. If it hangs, try change of port. and allow it to find the driver itself. It will fix the problem. If you experience, the same thing again and again, i will give you the registry tweak. This is explained here
               You resort to it, if you know how to muddle with registry correctly.
http://www.pimp-my-rig.com/2011/10/mouse-randomly-freezing-windows-7.html
This has fixed my problem

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:16:00 am »
ok jraju, I try another port first. In the link you sent it apparently deals with W7. As I have W8.1 are the registry parameters the same? Thanks

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:43:31 pm »
Probably the same, or otherwise, you could check the internet. I do not have windows 8. If i come across the clue, will inform you.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:54:20 am »
Yesterday I was on the laptop for about 3 hours when the message came up again and I had to disconnect the mouse and reconnect again. This happened three times in the space of 20 minutes. I then connected into the same usb port with my other mouse and the error did not occur for the rest of the session. I think the small mouse that came with the laptop case my wife bought me could have a fault. The larger mouse now in use came was originally used with the now defunct computer and I never had any problems with it over the four years it was used. All I can do now is wait and see if the problem arises again. What makes a problem hard to trace is one that is so intermittent.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:11 pm »
Since swopping the mouse for the larger one on the 4th of this month there has been no further problems so I shall consider the problem as resolved

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 03:43:26 pm »
A defective mouse is always something to consider and checking on another computer where possible can help to determine this.

Hopefully you have found the problem.

If you are ready, you can Modify your first post and add [SOLVED] to the thread title.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 04:01:14 pm »
Hello Boggin I selected Problem Solved on the drop down menu thinking that was the way to do it so I will now do as you say.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:04:39 pm »
Never noticed that before :)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »
Boggin, I think I did what you said but I cannot see the word Resolved.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:11:26 pm »
When you click on Modify in your opening post, set the cursor to the end of the thread title text and type [SOLVED] - Resolved or whatever.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse is unknown device SOLVED
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 04:36:48 pm »
I see you've done it :D