Author Topic: Broken windows tiles (SOLVED)  (Read 12222 times)

Offline JamesB

• View Profile
Broken windows tiles (SOLVED)
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:53:29 am »
Hello every one,

I have just purchased Windows Repair (All in one) in the hope that it would fix the problem of several of the W10 tiles (that come up when you left click on the start icon) including windows store app, calculator and 13 others, not working.

All these items are listed under "other" when I click on "Start" then "All Apps" in the form of what I assume is an address of sorts. The one for the Store App is:

@[Microsoft.WindowsStore_2016.27.2.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.WindowsStore/Resources/StoreTitle]. This "address is also shown when I "mouse over" an inactive tile.

Apart from the suggested general repairs in the Repair software, I checked the completely Repair Windows 8/10 App Store (items 28.01 and 28.02 -in turn) without success. Is there anything else I could try or can the Windows Repair program not fix this (quite common, I think) issue?

Thanks & Regards, Jim

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:52:11 am by JamesB »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Broken windows tiles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:05 am »
I'm not fully conversant with the guts of WR but see what these cmds report -

From a Command Prompt (Admin) enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth - this will tell you if the system is repairable.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online cleanup-image /restorehealth

That one can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains.

If /restorehealth reports it cannot find the source file then read through this article - http://www.kapilarya.com/dism-error-0x800f081f-the-source-files-could-not-be-found-windows-10

If /checkhealth reports irreparable then you are looking a reinstall.

Offline JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »
Thank you for your reply, Boggin.

I have run all the commands that you suggested and no errors or missing source files were reported. Although this is a relatively minor problem, it is VERY annoying and I do hope that Microsoft will address it one day!

Regards, Jim

Offline JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »
I also tried running the powershell command:  Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.Ins
tallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

...and got a list of errors as long as my arm which I am sure point the way to what is wrong but it is beyond my understanding :-(

Jim

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
The cmd to restore the apps for Win 10 has been disabled in WR because since Threshold2, the cmd to reload the apps, breaks them which MS has yet to address.

I'm not sure if the cmd is the one you have just tried.

A reset may resolve but you would normally need install media - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Offline JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:15:45 pm »
Thanks again for your reply.

I am concerned not to do anything, such as a reset, that might cause me to loose important programs/data on my PC - despite assurances that I would not loose such items. I think it would be safer to wait and see if MS resolve this problem and provide a solution.

Jim

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:32:50 pm »
You could report the problem to MS but I wouldn't let any of the techs take control of your computer - they tend to screw things up :)

Offline JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 09:24:27 am »
Hi,

After days even weeks of this problem I have repaired my Windows 10 Installation by using Microsoft's media creation tool and using a USB stick for the installation files as described in http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html. I am more than pleased to say that in less than half an hour my installation was repaired and, as far as I can see, everything is now fully functional. Most importantly all my programs, data etc., were not touched. So I can recommend this repair method.

Thanks again for your valuable help.

Kindest Regards, Jim

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:33:10 am »
Good to see that you were able to sort it.

If you go to your opening post and click on Modify, you can add [SOLVED] to the thread title.