Author Topic: Windows 8.1 ready to implode.  (Read 5538 times)

Offline CobyJJ

• View Profile
Windows 8.1 ready to implode.
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
Hello, everybody.

Thanks for your attention regarding this issue. I'm not a pro user, so i don't know what is the best course of action: apparently we have a total of 1.830 MISSING FILES! I'm afraid my desktop is on the verge of commiting seppuku. 

Is there something i can do about it? Thanks in advance!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 ready to implode.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:31:58 AM »
It has been known that computers using Intel have reported this amount of corruption and downloading the Intel Chipset drivers has resolved or massively reduced the amount of Package files requiring replacing.

With an OEM machine, the Chipset drivers can be found on the computer support site, but for a custom built machine you would need to go to the motherboard support site.

Julian will pick up your thread regarding missing Package Files, but as these just affect Windows Updates, you can continue to run the rest of the repairs, depending upon why you have opted to use Windows Repair.
Tom.

Offline CobyJJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:55 AM »
Thank you, Boggin! This info helped me a lot, really.

I will update Intel Chipset drivers, then. Maybe the missing files can be reduced this way.

I was using Windows Repair due to a harsh issue that I have been facing for a while. My Windows only starts if I press F12 on the boot screen and choose the SSD, otherwise Windows will just get stuck in the "starting/loading screen" and will reward me with a blue screen later, automatically rebooting and starting the same process infinitelly. Sometimes it crashes on blue screen too.

I want to study and gather information on what is causing the whole thing, already ran Windows Repair twice and followed all the instructions. I need to investigate some more.

Thanks for your help again, Boggin!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:04 AM »
Do you have an external disk drive plugged in or USB or have you left a disk in the disk drive ?

Boot up into the BIOS (Set up) and check the Boot order.

When you get it booted up, download BlueScreenView which will analyse the memory dump files and give some indication of the BSOD - did you get a Stop Error Code when it BSOD'd ?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Tom.

Offline CobyJJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:40:30 AM »
I updated all required drivers with Driver Booster from IObit, unfortunately the missing files are still present. I'm uploading the new report and a CPU-Z analysis of my PC, if this can help in any way. 

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the trouble.

P.S.: Yes! I usually use an external Hard Drive all the time and have an secondary HD. I will check the boot order right away! I have downloaded BlueScreenView and got an report of the last crash, it is exactly the same of the previous episodes, i'm attaching it for you.

Thanks again!!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:56:10 AM »
It's not really advisable to use a 3rd party program to download those sort of drivers and are best done from support sites.

Have you tried booting with all peripherals except the mouse and keyboard disconnected as sometimes a machine can get confused as which to boot from as it looks for an OS to boot up.

Should it be a driver problem then read this article on running Driver Verifier https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/244617

EDIT - Forgot to add, once Driver Verifier finds a dodgy driver, Driver Verifier should be disabled.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:07:51 AM by Boggin »
Tom.

Offline CobyJJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:45 AM »
Again, thanks for all your patience, Boggin.

I did what you told me, and this is stupid, but i think it was just it: just had to change the boot order and this issue was gone. Already tested it, Windows is starting normally!  :cheesy:

Understood, good to know that we can't really trust this kind of program. I'll read the article right away. I should be able to figure something out and come with good news!

You're helping me a lot, Boggin. My PC has a chance after all! hahaha

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:25:33 AM »
If it's now booting normally, go to your computer support site and download the Chipset and Video drivers then run the Pre-Scan again.

A 3rd party program can download the wrong drivers which can result in a BSOD - this is especially the case when Nvidia graphics are used as they are quite often OEM modified.

I tried Driver Booster once and it gave a number of drivers to be updated so tried it first with my wireless driver and it gave me the wrong one.

As I was unable to roll back the driver, I had to use my restore points to get rid of it and Driver Booster.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 05:08:46 PM »
Julian