Author Topic: Tweaking.com windows repair appeared on my PC without me putting it there SOLVED  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Nick D

• View Profile
Tweaking.com windows repair appeared on my PC without me putting it there.

I realise it could have come bundled with other software without me noticing. It doesn't appear in my list of programs though when I go to 'add or remove' programs. Could it be malware pretending to be the genuine software. I'm very suspicious of it because I didn't put it there myself.

Thanks
Nick

Solved - through discussing this on this forum I realised taht a microsoft engineer must ahve put it on my machine when they worked on it last year. I vaguely remember them doing that at the time now I reflect on it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:04:01 am by Nick D »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As far as I know, Shane doesn't have it bundled and it has to be physically downloaded/installed, but it should appear in Programs and Features as it does in mine.

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using, but in Win 7 - Start - All Programs is there a folder named Tweaking.com that you can expand to see if it's in there.

If it is, right click on it and select Properties and it will give its install date and if your restore points go back that far, then use one to before that date, but Scan for affected programs first so you will know if you have to reinstall anything afterwards.

Offline Nick D

• View Profile
Hi Boggin

I'm using Windows 10 and I've looked and you're right it is under Apps. I have also managed to find it in the list of programs in 'Add or Remove' programs.

I'm baffled though as I didn't install it myself and it recently ran a scan of my start up files unbidden (which is how I came to realise it was there). Could it be malware posing as tweaking.com?

If I click on Apps and scroll to it and hover over it it reveals three options
Open Windows repaior (WR)
Tweaking.com Registry repair
Tweaking.com - windows repair

Any ideas?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm as baffled as you as to how it got onto your computer.

I can't see how it could have been spoofed if that is the word, but if you have any doubts then uninstall it using a 3rd party uninstaller program.

Offline Nick D

• View Profile
OK many thanks for you help!
I just had a thought though - When I installed windows 10 I had loads of problems with it and I had several microsoft technicians work on my computer over a period of a few days. Eventually they got it all working. I guess it's possible that one of them could have installed it on my PC.

Come to think of it that seems like the likeliest scenario

Thanks
Nick

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It has been known for MS techs to use the program when they are stuck, which says a lot for the program and very little for the MS techs :)

Offline Nick D

• View Profile
Yes indeed!
Thanks for your help :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No help at all really, but it does help sometimes to have a "sounding board" if just to jog the memory :)

You can add [SOLVED] to your thread title by going to your first post, click on Modify and add that to the title.