Author Topic: Internet Explorer 11 issue  (Read 8011 times)

Offline mspiller

• View Profile
Internet Explorer 11 issue
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:28 am »
I ran your program and after running, IE 11 in Windows 7, no longer displayed certain pages.  It went to the URL but just displayed a blank page.  In looking at properties of those pages all of them indicate Firefox HTML Document as the type.  Any suggestions as to what might be happening?
Thanks!

Offline mspiller

• View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer 11 issue
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:59:10 am »
As an update to my problem.  I have found that my JAVA installation is no longer on my computer.  It does not show up in programs in Start menu or in control panel programs.  In going to the JAVA download site, it too, indicates that I do not have JAVA installed.  I then have tried twice to run the JAVA software installation file.  It starts and and a box appears and asks if I want to run the installation file.  When I select "Run" that box disappears and nothing else happens.  It never does anything else.  I waited about 30mins with no response.  So it looks like the program might have done something to the JAVA application and that may very well be my IE11 problem of certain pages and images not loading.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:07:14 pm »
Can you go back into the repair program and use the registry restore option to see if that resolves.

I've emailed Shane with a link to your thread and hopefully his computer business will allow him time to check this out for you.

What problems were you having that you thought WR would repair and did you do the pre-options prior to running the main repairs, such as a chkdsk /f ?

Offline mspiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I was having an issue with Windows updates for  microsoft office failing and giving the error 80070643 other windows updates work fine. I had run a few windows suggested fix-it programs for the update issue and no luck.  I found your website and program doing a search for the update issue and the 80070643 error.  I downloaded and ran your program thinking it might solve my problem.    I ran the pre-options and nothing was found.  I did select to back-up prior to running the program.  I ran the program in safe mode as instructed twice.  After the second run the computer came up fine.  I checked to see if the update problem had been fixed and it had not.  It was still occurring.  I used my computer online using Firefox and also opened a few programs on the computer.  I did not see any issues so I figured the program just did not fix my problem so sadly, I uninstalled it thinking the computer was fine except for the original windows updates not installing for microsoft office programs.  This morning I opened IE11 and noticed some images not loading and some web pages going to the URL but just having a blank page display.  Then I realized that I should not have uninstalled your program so quickly.  So I do not have the restore capability.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:36 pm »
Did Windows create a restore point prior to installing WR or preferably an earlier one ?

EDIT - Not sure if resetting IE to defaults may sort it but you could try Method 4 in this article to re-register the IE dlls.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/813444
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:47:42 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
Try the Office updates again after going into Programs and Features, right click on Office and select Repair - you may need to select Change to get the Repair option if it isn't listed to click on.

Offline mspiller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:51:42 pm »
This was not my lucky day.  Windows restore was not active so I have no restore point.  I spoke with a guy from the IT company that supplies services to my workplace today.  He too, had me do the repair option on the office program in programs and features and the repair failed.  He indicated that he could solve that problem for me tomorrow if I brought the computed in to him.  So I think I am good on the update issue. 
I tried method 4 as you suggested for the JAVA issue.  After running the fix-it and rebooting, the problem still exist with IE11 and the JAVA install still ask me if I want to run the program and I select run and then nothing else happens.  Just as before.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:46:31 am »
The Java thing seems strange.

Sometimes instead of selecting Run, Save the download then right click on the .exe and run it as an administrator can work.

You could also try its install in Safe Mode with Networking should your antivirus program be in the mix.

As for the rest, what does a sfc /scannow report ?

Offline mspiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:33 am »
Hi Boggin,
I had saved to the desktop and run from there and also have run directly from the JAVA site.  Last night I did try and run in safe mode with no luck.  SFC found nothing.  The computer is just a month old so there are not really any issues with it other than the original glitch in the office updates and now the JAVA problem.  Everything else that I have run or opened on the computer seems to be working fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:03:03 am »
MS has a Fixit for install/uninstall problems - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

You could opt for the default recommended which may also resolve the Office updates (?) but click on the lower Detect problems and let me select the fixes option then click on Installing and from there you can select Java to see if that can fix it.

Sometimes unregistering and re-registering Windows Installer can help with the cmds -

msiexec /unreg

msiexec /regserver

Personally I'd be tempted to factory reset, but you may have to contact MS to have Office reactivated, or check with them first to see if they will before the factory reset.