Author Topic: what are the updates should i updated not to get the alerts for win 10  (Read 11054 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I have windows 7. I do not want to upgrade to windows 10. May i have the list of updates, which should not be updated and made to be hidden to be not to be alerted about win 10. I would love to , but my old computer does not support even win 8. Hence I ask. Please give the kb nos
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Windows Update will list the new updates every month. Do a GOOGLE search with the KB numbers. If the description is very vague and with the word "Update" then don't install that update. If the update is called a "Security Update" then you can install that update. Otherwise you should be cautious and do a GOOGLE search.

A good source for more info is the information written by one Woody Leonhard.
http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile

GWX Control Panel downloadable from the page below does an excellent job of keeping Windows 10 at bay. It's a constant battle for the developer to keep one step ahead of Microsoft and he is constantly updating the utility to do so.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I have two computers which I am pretty sure will not run Windows 10 but are running sweetly with Windows 7 with the aid of GWXCP and I take a pretty dim view of Microsoft's insistence on trying to download and install W10 on machines which are not supported for that OS. There are no W10 drivers available for the wifi on my Lenovo laptop, for instance, and I've found plenty of cries for help from users who've tried to upgrade.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
While there are quite a few Win 10 related updates, the main one is KB3035583 which will put the Windows icon into your system tray, but as S_G has advised, download GWX Control Panel and that has fixes to address the various stages at which the icon has made inroads onto your machine.

To ensure Win 10 isn't sneaked onto your machine, change your update settings to Check for but let me choose.... and when Windows Updates are offered, click on each and then on More info in the right pane which will open a MS info page.

Any that relate to ease of upgrade, Windows Update Agent, or Telemetry then right click on those and select Hide - although MS will keep pushing those updates - which is why the GWXCP is the better option.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
@Still_Game:

Nice tool. I use Win 7 as well and I am very happy with it. The fact that the manufacturer of my system won't supply system drivers for Win 10 is for me a good reason to not upgrade to Win 10.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
@Willy2

There's certainly no reason for me to change from W7 until I  have to replace a computer. Regular computer backups and judicious use of Windows Repair AIO has kept me going nicely so far!
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, sorry for late coming to the topic. My hard disk supposedly failed. i thought that was freeze of mouse at first. But , it is total computer freeze.
                  tried then resorted to format c: and reinstall.
                   While the first boot of install was successful, the second failed with motherboard logo, no moving further. I tried but could not succeed . the bios does not show the hard drive in usual sata 0 port. I tried to unplug and replug the pata cable, a wide tape and tried boot.  Now the lboooogo passed but no boot to hard drive.
                        first it was shown as a: error, i corrected it. Then it shows reboot and select device error.
                Would anybody give a clue of how to overcome this error. Is it a total hdd failure. please
                i am sending this reply from my laptop.
                           is there any free tool. I tried seagate tool, but it would not boot thro cd drive. i used imgburn to burn the iso.
                      i know that my hdd is healthy, and there is no chance to fail. i checked the ram and it is showing. i changed the mobo battery also. please give me link to tool

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not really into the hardware of things but is the HDD set to AHCI in the BIOS ?

A Hiren's Boot Disk has all of the tools on it that you are likely need, including repairing the MBR.

http://downloads.tomsguide.com/Hiren-s-Boot-CD,0301-51033.html

After you have downloaded the .zip you need to extract it and point ImgBurn to it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:57:03 am by Boggin »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
the bios does not show the hard drive in usual sata 0 port. I tried to unplug and replug the pata cable, a wide tape and tried boot.

Check the sata cable is secured/ swap out the cable for a different one, they can fail. The pata wide ribbon is presumably for a DVD/CD ROM drive.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, boggins and samson, thanks for the tips.
             i could not burn the image in my old laptop, which nero and imgburn would not allow to burn. Imgburn burns,but the image could notbe located. I tried with verify and it failed with layouts not match error. I do not know, how to fix it.the exact match is layouts do not match error.
            Nero could not also allow the burn with verify error.
regarding samson tip, the wide tape is the one that i have. It is a old model hdd by seagate, pata tape. i unplugged and thought i correctly plugged , but do not know, exact procedure. I thought that it also has a way of plugging. please do say how,  i know that blue tothe mother board and black to hdd. But is there any side specific to plug . i miss something here. sata cable could be plugged only one way. but i do not know about  pata tape.could it fix anyway or is there any particular method.
i could try if i could burn  the image. it is cd rw. firtst i noticed two cd drives shown one is magic iso. I removed it and then tried but could not succeed

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: what are the updates should i updated not to get the alerts for win 10
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 04:59:27 am »
J, If it is a PATA HDD then it will not show up in SATA port 0. It should be Primary Master in the BIOS.

If you are using an 80 wire PATA cable then it should have a "key" on the plug so that it can only fit one way.

What are the jumper settings on the HDD? If your PC is a DELL, they prefer "cable select" and place the drive on the correct plug on the cable for "master", the black connector at the end of the cable.  (based on my DELL experiences  :wink:)

Also, the 80 wire cables are really easy to damage if you do not pull on the plug, but instead tug the cable itself. They can also damage if folded or twisted, try swapping it for another cable if you have on.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 05:32:30 am »
Hi, when new hdd could not be replaced, the technician has given this age old hdd . Once when i looked at bios, the hdd was found in sata port 0. There was only available port , and the dvd drive has sata 1.  But i found  the dvd drive is connected with mobo with red sata thin tape, but showing as sata 1. Now, i do not find hdd in bios. I do not know what is ahci, but in power in bios i have acpi.
samson, you are correct  that it is old model intel mobo repaired by technician to replace hdd and processor in the previous attempt.
                  Now i get reboot select disk error and i do not know the fix.
in my bios, ide/ata settings have been in enhanced stage, to enable both pata and sata. I still do not know, how pata taped hdd was shown as sata 0 drive.
                  I have legacy mode,which has some settings. Should i change this to legacy, there are some options. what is achi you mentioned. i could feel the spinning in hdd, but i donot know . i do not have any spare pata tape and should only try it when i go to the richie street, where there are available. nowadays nobody use pata cable  as for as i know.
                    i made it a point to avoid the previous technician for he has provided one pata instead of my previous 4 sata ports

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 05:56:41 am »
Does anything show up under ide/ata devices in the BIOS?

You may have to try "legacy" mode, make a note of your BIOS settings, as you could lose the DVD drive  :wink:

When you removed the CMOS battery this would have reset the BIOS to default.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:54 am »
Hi, It happens to be dead hdd again. The old one worked and gone.
Now, i called my tech, and he replaced with 500 gb.
                         i could have done it myself with the knowledge that i have.
                        but i do not know the power connection. I have already lost the new hdd at previous attempt. But it turned out that the exact power plug suitable for hdd would be suffice and it is immaterial , if you take any connection points in the wire from smtp.
                       Now i am back with all the old data gone with the old hdd.
                       This is my second attempt.
                       Why this behaviour? When installing windows, after first reboot, when windows configuring after expanding, the boot stops at mobo sign.
                        Could some body adduce the reason. I also thought, there may be settings in bios, but that is not the reason. How it would have happened. Probably this is an old hdd and so i could understand. But what about new hdds, when installing.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:18 am »
J, probably best to start a new thread with this, likely to get more reads if you start a thread with a title relevant  to your problem...

So a new (or used) HDD? SATA? Did you do a full format of the new HDD, Installing what OS etc...

For future reference an image back up of your old failed HDD would have saved all your data and you could have swapped it out for the new one and been back up and running again in no time  :wink:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:03:37 am by Samson, Reason: Added info. »