Author Topic: (Solved)my dvd writer could not write or burn anything  (Read 50072 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: my dvd writer could not write or burn anything
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:21 am »
hi, boggin, do you mean to say, that it should have a separate drive for cd and dvd, to have two drive letters.
I am enclosing  the upperfilters and lower filters shown in cdrom for audio. should one delete these keys i also give the device managefr, where all the controllers show as ide , both primary and secondary. Which is connected to cd rom
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 01:52:34 am »
pl find another two enclosures, the key cd rom contains so many subkeys having the same values. what is meant by it

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:55 am »
It's only one set of drivers and the disk player is only assigned with one drive letter, but the innards have different functions.

MS as well as having this Fix it, also had a let me do it myself section which involved deleting the Upper and Lower filters.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

I'm not sure why they removed that bit from the above link and that is the only Fix it they seem to be offering now.

Is this the "Hotfix" you were talking about or have you yet to run this Fix it ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 04:53:47 am »
HI, mbif i use this fix it, i get this error. If hotfix is run, i get the same error, but with a request to download some cab files , which i do not know how to install .i synced successfully the internet time. but still error. i have checked the xp updates, which does not show any pending update. a
              i wrote a  file containing 400 mb using windows writer. it proceeded well and it wrote with success message. But the result file could not be seen as it shows as cd storage is totally available, as if nothing has been written. i tried upper filters and lower filters,but there were none in the required location at hklm,software,..class and at the required key, which i have enclosed. but one other thing is where as the specification shows, as having optiarc dvd rw ad 7530 ata, the registry keys in the Enum folder for cd rom shows them as  optiarc 7561. what is the meaning of drivers of different no, came to my registry?

i will be happy if it could be able to burn data to cd.
i tried sfc.exe command, and it pass quickly without any trouble. as the OS cd would be unusable for many times, i copied the i386 folder to the c: and redirected the source to the c: to run. it was slow at beginning but after all the updates, it runs fast to finish with no error in the middle with insert disc. i have already done to redirect in the registry to avoid scratching of disc. the main problem is if sfc is executed, it also restores wups.dll from the i386 folder , so making error in future updates. i had to netstop and start the service to restore the wups2.dll to get the present updates.pl boggin,julian samson for solutions

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 05:17:42 am »
hi, i forgot to enclose some thing

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 08:00:23 am »
Which AV program are you using ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 06:36:07 pm »
AVast, even if i disabled for the session totally, i am getting the same error. Moreover, i have solved the windows update in windows xp laptop ,by disabling the avast totally, as it will also attempt to access the same file resulting in windows update failure. once, i disabled the windows update was successfully to the latest.
                 but the fixit and hot fix does not work. Boggins, would be that the links are there with broken link at microsoft end.
how to use cab file to extract to install.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 06:46:22 pm »
Hi, Shane, Boggins
                    I also tried your cd dvd fix. But the problem has not gone still.
                 I also surfed the net and the upperfilter and lowerfilters are present in Class filter group in HKLM. But there was no class filters present in the hklm in the said registry key . But i have got the filters in  device drivers in some other place in hklm in Enum folder in the ide items. Can i safely delete those upperfilters and lowerfilters. Upperfilters have Redbook while the lowerfilters have imapi. Both are found to be microsoft drivers. Can i delete those entries.
                  But all the tutorial is about class filters . There are no such entries in my registry in the laptop. There was also a item of interest cdrom.inf, what is that. i could open, and found it contains some burning programs and dvd cd manufacturerers name of those prevalent at the older time.
                   I will try to run the cd dvd repair alone to get the log .
                   I wrote the cd and it shows 702 mb as free storage

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:41 am »
I can't remember the path that was shown in the previous Let me do it myself of the CD/DVD Fix it so I can't advise one way or the other whether to delete those keys or not.

However, you could create a restore point or system image, delete the keys and see if that works, but as the disk player works okay on DVDs then I would suspect the fault lays with the disk drive itself.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 04:20:54 am »
no, it is not working on cd r also. the written file could not be seen in explorer. But when inserted in other computer having win seven, it shows the burnt files folder, but could not open, causing crash of windows explorer. ok , i will try this fix. how upperfilters and lowerfilters are not present in the folder that msoft gives the clue to delete to get back the cd dvd drive to view and to work. why it is shown in some other key in the hklm. in the enum folder, which has so many keys of cd rom. Is it because of ide sata conflict. class filters are default entries of microsoft, when installing the xp, and i have done sfc.exe with nil error. why i am not able to process the fix for it or hotfix or why the sudden alert of error while opening the hotfix. how to extract cab files. is there any way, so that i could install the same to find what is wrong. if i use imgburn, it shows as dvd ram plus minus ram.
                           Moreover i find the device id as the suggested number, but the registry entries all belong to other model. i will try to post the dvd finder log in my next post.
                                      i could hear the audio and view the video with these.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 04:51:14 am »
You've said previously that you can play DVDs but not CDs - this would prove that the disk drive is functional - just not fully, but as the CD doesn't work on another machine either then that would suggest a damaged CD.

Do you have other CDs you can try on both the affected machine and a working one ?

As for installing cab files, you may find some answers in these links http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+i+install+cab+files+in+xp
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:54:37 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 10:11:48 am »
hi, please see the explorer as well as disk management view of a new sony cd rw in the dvd drive. It sees as cd rom 0 with dvd on the bottom and online. If there is no media, then it says no media correctly.
 the explorer show as having total cd storage, and used space as zero.
i want to be specific in my information that it is a replacement to the origianl dvd that came with the laptop. There was an article in hp, which i came to know that the cd rw and dvd rw would not be recognized in the replaced dvd drive and i have to take the help of hp recovery application tool to get the software for the new drive.
                      I do not think that it is correct information, as it is a plug and play like keyboard and i do not know how to access the tool in my laptop. i have got hp security tool which gives permission of access of different divices.the default settings is to give access to all the people using it.
does the information shows that the cd rw is recognized or not. pl tell me

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 10:51:06 am »
J, looks right to me.....although mine does show as DVD-RW "Drive in My Computer"...Does it show up correctly in Device Manager?.

Compare with my screenshot below, DVD-RW Drive highlighted in the red boxes.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:23 pm »
hi, mine shows differently in device manager and in my computer. moreover, i aso do not know much about pxhelp20 in the link. i even tried that fix, but could not cure the problem.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738 should i copy this pxhelp20

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 10:15:49 pm »
hi, forgot the enclosure

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 08:47:39 am »
What brand of CD/ DVDs are you using? Some burners can be picky. I only use Maxell/ TDK/ Verbatim etc, some generic types can be rubbish.

Most burning programs have an option to select burning speed, have you tried that? Start trying the slowest first.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 05:45:53 pm »
Hi, samson,
                      i bought a new cd rw at market . It was all sony cds in which rw are available both for cd and dvd. no brand available on rw in small towns. i think sony has flooded the market on the rw stuff.
                       i changed the burner speed to 4x, from fastest.
                        The problem is on cd rw, when i burn, with windows cd wizard, everything is fine up to fianlization. But the burnt file vanishes after cd wizard finishes. In windows xp, you have to first copy files to the cd explorer and then write files to cd . After writing the cd should show the files burnt from the files ready to burn with , when you copy the file for burning. But in my case, the burn process is success , but the files writing to be cd gone and re check on explorer shows nothing.
                        Could you copy the pxhelp20.sys file here, so that i could copy that to the drivers folder system32, and then try it. I have changed the lowerfilters to this pxhelp in the registry, but there should be some sys file to activate it. I searched for this file in all the folders, but could not find it. If i go to cd , in i386 folder, all the files in windows compressed form.
                            If you could provide the file, i could try that fix totally.
                          It is not that i am persisting on using this dvd. I am having Sony optiarc dvd rw ad 7530 ata, and no problem in audio and video. only on burning files. Nero burnt successfully, but on explorer it shows as nothing as burnt and total cd space available.
                               i have writex cd lens cleaner and i also cleaned the drive.
                          sfc.exe /scannow goes smoothly in xp , and nothing could be said about the failure.
all windows updates optional , important are upto date.
                                  i also came to know about sony rootkit, and checked for xp cd service, which was not there in services. I have only imapi services in xp, in services, which when i set to automatlic, auto disables itself. It has no dependency services.
                                   imgburn burns, but on verify fails with layout do not match error.any idea how to go about. i tried removing upperfilters and lowerfilters.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 03:36:30 am »
Could you copy the pxhelp20.sys file here, so that i could copy that to the drivers folder system32, and then try it. I have changed the lowerfilters to this pxhelp in the registry, but there should be some sys file to activate it. I searched for this file in all the folders, but could not find it. If i go to cd , in i386 folder, all the files in windows compressed form.
                            If you could provide the file, i could try that fix totally.                   

I don't know if that will work J, but here you go. The location was C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Perhaps uninstalling/ reinstalling your burning software may replace it?

Here you go anyway.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 03:53:11 am »
Yes . thanks samson. i will try. Because, if it is a fix, then the file should be there in the respected directory. It is not loaded by burning software. It is sonic supported system file developed by sonic or sonic supported msoft. It is a thinking, that our market is flooded with sony cd rw, which is having 4x maximum speed , and also not supported to windows xp system.
                               samson, one more question, what is windows cd wizard, is it useful or one can remove that . It first asks you to copy the file to the cd directory and then attempt burn.
                           so, i suppose, it is copying to some folders in c: and then writes to the disc drive. who has given it? is it microsoft supported program. Because, if it is written, it should be shown in the explorer. it does not show. Then , if it is read by win 7 ultimate, then it is said to be having file type unknown and it is unusable, i mean cd r.
                                   i am trying fixes and hope to fix. More over, i tried the hklm system current controlset, services, cdfs and udfs services. If you see those, things start type is given as 4, which is disabled at any stage, ie totally disabled. I tried to give it 1 to start the services. But still the same problem.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:54:42 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 04:20:22 am »
J, I'd be suprised if copying that file worked but hey, up to you.

The market is flooded with Sony CDs? ( possibly counterfeits?), I never liked rewritable CDs or DVDs, just plain r, single use, seem more reliable.

I never use Windows burning tools, so can't help I'm afraid. I use Ashampoo http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ashampoo_burning_studio_free.html

Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the burner would get you the proper drivers and sort out the missing pxhelp20.sys file?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 09:39:25 am »
Hi, samson, i will try ashampoo definitely. i do not know its existence.yes you are correct, the upperlowerfilters are not default entries in registry. when i copy the sys to the folder and reboot, nero prompts a message that lowerupper filters are incorrectly entered in registry and nero has corrected it and i need to reboot. i did. and went to registry to see the change it made. it has changed pxhelp to blank and initiated a same entry with 1 without any value.
                                  How to disable windows cd wizard then. you are correct , that i tried to write to cdrw and dvdrw, which the vendors boosts in their product specification, but really it is total failure in cd rw and dvd rw in most cases.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:20 am »
Hi, samson, i tried ashampoo, but could not succeeded in burning. When i try to read a folder in dvd r, it reads without any problem. but , if it contains, say a setup.exe, it does not recognize the cd r. microsoft portable fix it , when tried gives no readable media in cd or dvd error message. The setup.exe was burnt in a windows 7 machine, which i could see that it is successfully burnt without any errors, (i did choose, the minimum nero speed at 16x, for copycd.
                            Now, i learn that there are problems, that may occur, in reading the general files, playing music, video and mixed contents, and all need separate fixes. Is it correct?
i removed the upperlower filters in the registry, but the problem perisists. Now i definitely know that it is a setting missing.
                        my query is , as window os consist of gui, it needs separate fix in the registry. Would not it auto detects the media.
                          dvd r could be read, but not cd...
leaving cd rw and dvd rw, not what is the problem

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 04:07:08 am »
hi, samson and boggins,
Disc recording software applications that come with HP and Compaq computers are made to recognize only the original CD/DVD drives that come with the computer. If you have added a new drive, use the disc burning software that came with the drive or use the native burning capabilities of Windows.

this is one of the quote in hp link. what does that mean. If i replace the dvd drive due to some problem and buy and replace the drive, would it not recognize.
But strange, it reads the folders in already burnt dvd r? i will be trying to fix the problem with all your ideas

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
J, I know you've looked at MS Fixits, but have you tried this one on the XP machine?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Edit

I see you had a problem downloading it. it works OK for me at the moment, try it.....Hang on, here you go.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:38:19 pm by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 01:18:55 am »
hi, when i download from link or your fixit, the same error message as in the enclosure