Author Topic: System File Check is not successful  (Read 11619 times)

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
System File Check is not successful
« on: March 15, 2016, 01:48:17 am »
I'm now working on my wife's laptop and it seems to have a lot of issues. Originally the system had Win7, this was upgraded to Win8, then Win8.1 and Win10 (all x64). The latest update was several months ago. Recently I noticed that Acronis True Image was not creating backups and the system was running rather slow. Possibly my best choice is to perform a clean install of Win10.
I installed TC-Windows Repair and stated performing the steps.

The first real issue I encountered was with CHKDSK. The HD has several partitions (see the image). When I first got the system I partitioned the drive to separate the data from the OS and assigned the drive letter "A". Thus when I got to the step to run CHKDSK I selected all three partitions (A, C and D) (the D partition is the original Lenovo recovery partition, this I should just remove, I will never use it. It was about 2200 hours when I rebooted the system to let CHKDSK run. The next day at 1000 hours CHKDSK was still processing the C drive but stated it was 100% complete, so I let it run. At 1400 hours it was still running and my wife was bugging me to use the PC so I forced a power off, removed the battery, pressed the Power on button, installed the battery and booted up the system. Later that night about 2200 hours I setup to run CHKDSK on the C partition and let it run (BTW CHKDSK /R was used for all runs). This time the next day it had successfully run.

I then worked my way up to the SFC and when it ran it stated that files were corrupt but could not be fixed.
I then ran DISM and it failed "The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired."

At this point I was a bit lost and just left it. Tonight I tried again and again it failed. I read the page at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825020.aspx On my desktop I shared out C:\Windows and on the laptop I access this as the Z drive then ran DISM with the following (CMD window as admin).
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:z: /LimitAccess

Again it failed, the DISM log is attached. Tis late and I'm going to bed...
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: System File Check is not successful
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:18:41 am »
Try his dism cmd - it will tell you if the volume is repairable -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

Rather than doing a clean install although that may be the best option, try the upgrade now option which should preserve your apps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:20:00 am »
I forgot to mention I had tried SFCFix See http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html, it was not able to resolve the issue.
Boggin, I'll give your suggestions a try later today. Tks
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:14 am »
I just ran
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
and it reported success, see the image.
Does this mean I'm good to go? What should be my next step?
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:49:48 pm »
I just realized that I did not correctly interpret the results from the DISM command (my last post). It stated that the component store is repairable. I had incorrectly read it as having repaired. I'm back to the starting gate. I'm going to run TC-WR repair as if I just started. Possibly I made more mistakes.
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:04 am »
OK I'm going in one huge circle on this.
  • When I run WR, step 4 (SFC) it states that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
  • In Admin CMD if I run dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth it states that the files are repairable
  • I've shared out the C:\windows folder on my desktop and access it on the laptop as the Z drive then I ran  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:z: /LimitAccess (in Admin CMD window) and it fails stating the source files could not be found. Any idea what I did wrong?
  • I looked at the DISM.LOG file (it is attached) but it is so huge I have no idea what I should be looking for and if I see something I don't know what to do about it.
  • Do you need any additional information?
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:00:44 am »
Sorry - I can't read those sort of logs as my eyes go all to hell :)

I don't have Win 10 to try out these Dism cmds but for that cmd to succeed, you need to mount the volume from the ISO.

Have you considered a repair install which you can do by using the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

This won't affect anything you have installed since upgrading to Win 10, unlike a refresh or reset would, but would be advisable to create an external system image first as a fall back.

What did the SFCFix scan report ?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:03:42 am by Boggin »

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
I don't have Win 10 to try out these Dism cmds but for that cmd to succeed, you need to mount the volume from the ISO.
I'm assuming you mean the Win10 install CD as an ISO file. This I have and give it a try.
Have you considered a repair install which you can do by using the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade
If I recall correctly this would require that I reinstall my apps. For now this is a no-no for me. I'm fighting too many other issues with my four systems. However this may be the shortest distance between my problems and success. During the Christmas holidays I started a clean install of Win10 on my desktop and I'm still resolving issues on the system and access to the system from my three laptops.
This won't affect anything you have installed since upgrading to Win 10, unlike a refresh or reset would, but would be advisable to create an external system image first as a fall back.
Gee if it will not really effect anything this really sounds like a great option.
Currently I'm bouncing between my laptop (aka W700) and my wife's laptop (AKS Lenovo) both have the same issue in that SFC cannot repair the errors. I did run SFCFix on both and get the same results, see the image.
I'm going to try the ISO mount, if no success then I'll try the upgrade option.
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:57:53 pm »
On my wife's laptop I just ran SFCFix after mounting the Win10 ISO file and it failed, see the image. following is the msg.
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
jgt1942

Offline John Terdik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »
Forgot to include the SFCFix log, it looks like it ran with success.  Now I'm really confused, in the CMD window (previous post) I infer that it failed but in the log file it looks like it was a success. What do you suggest at this time?

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-03-16 13:06:54.469
Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10586 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-03-16 13:58:43.941
jgt1942

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 03:16:28 pm »
Run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports errors and if it does, then run SFCFix again.

There's another Dism cmd that you can run before dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and that is dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Not sure if it will negate the /restorehealth cannot find source file error though, but I'd go for the in place upgrade option if you still get errors reported by sfc /scannow

Did you run a chkdsk /f in support of the sfc /scannow during the Windows Repair, although it has been known for the chkdsk to come up clean while the sfc reports errors

Offline rpaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 02:47:19 am »
@jgt1942:

Please run another SFC /scannow and post the latest cbs.log if SFC continue to report errors.

On the initial log the error is related to the opencl.dll file this is a know problem o Windows 10 TH2 and need to be fixed manually, I can point you to a guide about fixing this but first we need to confirm the problem isn't gone.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:47 am »
Hey.  Not sure if you found a fix, but I had this issue too.  On some forum, somebody wrote a batch script which solved my issue.  The problem is that sfc is trying to pull whatever files are corrupt from Windows update but can't for some reason.  This tool allows, when you have mounted the install media, you to run the DISM operation again, but uses original OS install media for source of files.  Then run SFC and it will repair.  That solved it for me.

Offline rpaz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:32 am »
@Whiggs: Thanks for sharing the tool.

In my opinion is always better to post a link to the original source because the tool gets updated, this allow direct contact with the Author, etc.
http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/68326-sfc-scannow-dism-restorehealth-repair-corrupt-files.html