Author Topic: Win 7-64 bit Missing mum file  (Read 10948 times)

Offline lancar

• View Profile
Win 7-64 bit Missing mum file
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:03:43 AM »
Hi

Could you help me replace a missing file?
I have been struggling to repair Windows Update. When I run Tweaking it found and fixed a host of other issues but not the one it noted during the pre-scan. I append below the report (I have repaired the reparse points it notes).
Thanks Richard

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.8.4 - Pre-Scan
│ Computer: LANCASTER-HP (Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
│ [Started Scan - 20/03/2016 4:13:37 PM]
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (20/03/2016 4:13:37 PM)

│ These Files Are Missing: (Total: 1)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2964358_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.1.0.mum

1 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

│ THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

│ If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

│ Files Checked & Verified: 5,444

│ Done Scanning Windows Packages Files.(20/03/2016 4:21:40 PM)
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Scanning Reparse Points.
│ Started at (20/03/2016 4:21:40 PM)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Anna\Documents\My Music) (Target Path: C:\Users\Anna\Music)
│ A Default Reparse Point is missing and this can cause problems on the system.

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Anna\Documents\My Pictures) (Target Path: C:\Users\Anna\Pictures)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Anna\Documents\My Videos) (Target Path: C:\Users\Anna\Videos)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\NULL\Documents\My Music) (Target Path: C:\Users\NULL\Music)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\NULL\Documents\My Pictures) (Target Path: C:\Users\NULL\Pictures)

│ Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\NULL\Documents\My Videos) (Target Path: C:\Users\NULL\Videos)

│ Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
│ You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.

│ Files & Folders Searched: 776,748
│ Reparse Points Found: 127

│ Done Scanning Reparse Points.(20/03/2016 4:51:09 PM)
│ Checking Environment Variables.
│ Started at (20/03/2016 4:51:09 PM)

│ No problems were found with the Environment Variables.

│ Done Checking Environment Variables. (20/03/2016 4:51:09 PM)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 7-64 bit Missing mum file
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 02:56:54 AM »
Julian will upload that Package file for you but did you run the Reparse repair tool to fix those Reparse Points ?
Tom.

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »
Yes, I did. I am running the pre-scan again now to double check the repair fixed the reparse points it could. Thanks in advance for the upload.

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:30:45 AM »
Reparse points are O.K!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:58:22 AM »
Julian should be around sometime today to deal with the Cat and Mum file requests - his day job permitting.
Tom.

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 02:10:30 AM »
Thanks for letting me know.

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:49:48 PM »
The system update readiness tool lists the same missing file but cannot resolve it and Microsoft's update catalog and download centre are no help. This is the CheckSUR log file:
Checking Packages
(f)   CBS MUM Missing   0x00000002   servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2964358_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.1.0.mum      

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 7452
 Found 1 errors
  CBS MUM Missing Total count: 1

Unavailable repair files:
   servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2964358_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.1.0.mum
   servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2964358_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.1.0.cat

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 03:27:05 AM »
First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run the pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :cheesy:

(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the upload, Julian. I am sure the missing mum file will be part of the solution but unfortunately it alone has not solved my problem with Windows Update always saying it wants to restart to install files. When I run Microsoft's own diagnostic I almost always get the same result. Screen capture attached. The exception was when it said it had fixed the 80070490 error as well.
Its driving me crazy so any suggestions you or any others have would be appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 03:34:59 AM »
It said it didn't fix that error - what does it say lower down in the details ?

When I've researched that error code previously, there's never been a fix and most have either done a repair install, a reinstall or factory reset.

See if these cmds will stop the continued prompt to restart.

Run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter -

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

shutdown /r /t 00

and then see what happens after the reboot.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 04:07:26 AM »
Do a chkdsk /f first to make sure your hdd is okay. I hate that error means your cbs manifest is corrupted it's most likely a missing manifest file or a regkey that is still linked to a manifest file. Won't hurt to try a sfc /scannow
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have already done checkdisk and system file checks (several times!) so I tried stopping and restarting the update server. After a reboot Windows Update still wanted to restart but this time I could see an update history (I couldn't before) which at least shows me what I think is the problem. I attach a screen capture which shows there is a pending update for IE11. I looked at IE and I already have that update installed. But I still went to Microsoft's Download Center, downloaded the msu package for that KB, ran it and was told it was already installed. So I am thinking that the logjam is it keeps wanting to restart to finish updating something it has already installed. I tried stopping the update server, deleting the contents of the update cache in the SoftwareDistribution folder, restarting the server and then rebooting, but that has not broken the logjam. I don't use IE and would uninstall it if I knew how and it wasn't necessary for things like the Download Center.
At least by stopping and restarting the server I can get other Windows updates and have them installed (and after a while I had already convinced Security Essentials to obtain directly its own updates), so this might be a non-critical problem I have to live with, unless you have any other suggestions?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Even though it may show as already installed, if Windows doesn't think it is installed properly then it will continue to try and install it.

Go to Installed updates - put that KB into the top right search box and when it comes up, right click on it and select Uninstall and then after the reboot and reconfigure, it should install.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »
hmm have you tried what boggin suggested? let me know how that goes if you have. :D
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
I tried your suggestion, Boggin, but unfortunately it didn't work. I doublechecked that the KB was gone and a search could not find it after it had been uninstalled (and IE shows a different version). Windows Update still shows it as pending. I also tried deleting the pending.xml files (there were half a dozen) but that did not work (and they were not recent files).
I thought when this first happened it might be a virus but could not find anything in my sweeps, which I keep repeating anyway. Currently I am doing a full manual scan with MS's Malicious Software Removal Tool, it is coming up for its 12th hour of running and is still not finished but neither has it found anything.
At least the package files now seem okay. Your pre-scan says that as does the MS Update Standalone Package.
I thought tomorrow I might try something I read: dism.exe/image:C\/cleanup-image/revertpendingactions
Have you any experience with dism?
Thanks for sticking with me through this.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
To run that Dism cmd you need to boot up into the advanced boot options to select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment and execute it from the cmd prompt in there.

However, as you have already deleted the pending.xml files it may not resolve.

It's usually used when you get an error message about another sfc /scannow already running.

I think I've recently suggested this cmd to someone else for an update problem to see if it resolved, but with working three forums, the memory boggles :)

If the Dism cmd doesn't do it then work your way through https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997 but create a restore point before making any changes to the registry.

As a blanket job to cover the catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder steps, you can enter or copy and paste these cmds to an admin cmd prompt where they will auto run, except for the last one where you will need to press enter.

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder will remove the update history but not affect already installed updates.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Happy hunting :) but have you not thought of running Windows Repair a couple of times to see if they resolve.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:23:07 AM by Boggin »
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
I use that command to get me out of a loop with updates that are stuck not installing and keep trying to install on boot you can give it a shot I'm not sure of the outcome though.
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 02:38:44 AM »
The Malicious Software removal tool finally finished after 2am, my time, 15 hours of running but I am still relieved that it found nothing. So this morning I was not feeling strong enough to try DISM for the first time and I tried checkdisk again. It refused to look at C: saying there was an installed file not yet finished. Later in the morning its mood had improved and it found no problems with the drive. I ran system file check again with no issues found and the latest version of Tweaking's Window Repair in Safe Mode. Then I tried typing Boggin's suggestion and it unfortunately did not fix Update but as I was going it would not stop msiserver as it was not running. So after a restart I went into Computer Management Services and changed BITS and MSI to automatic start from Manual.
Tomorrow I will work through the remainder of the support at Microsoft page.
And to think I used to have a life.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:18 AM »
Join the club :D

Give the Dism cmd a go - it may save you some work.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 12:11:54 AM »
i don't like you have a cbs manifest corruption i would need to see what the sfcfix log would say...
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

let's see is if this helps you out copy and paste this into notepad and save as catroot2.bat

Code: [Select]
net stop cryptsvc
esentutl /p
%systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net start cryptsvc
pause

next when that finishes i want you to reboot and try updating again.
if you can upload that sfcfix log i would appreciate it. i hate error 0x80070490  :wink:
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 04:08:33 AM »
Its not that I'm scared of DISM, you understand, just that I prefer to try other things, anything, first.
So I ran sfc again, no problems - see screen capture attached, then I downloaded SFCFix with the same result, below is the log. I forgot to boot into Safe Mode first so will repeat the scans that way if needed. After a restart Windows Update looks the same (screen capture attached):

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2016-04-01 16:11:17.771
Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 - amd64
Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-04-01 17:06:03.328
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:16 AM »
Oh, about the code for a file to be called catroot2.bat. I saved the code into a text file. You didn't say where I should stick it! So I went to \Windows\System32 and found a folder called catroot and another called catroot2.old. I renamed the latter to be .older.
Should I put the code into cmd and run it?

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 04:43:19 AM »
Boggin suggested I work my way through the suggestions on the support.Microsoft page and I just did Method 6, which seems to me on the same lines. I attach a screen capture of the cmd box (I used catroot2.try instead of catroot2.old).

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
Did you reboot your computer after running the catroot2?
Julian

Offline lancar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »
Hi, sorry to be so long in posting. It wasn't that the problem with Windows Update was fixed but that I was despairing of ever fixing it no matter how many things I tried. The only thing that kept me trying, apart from your help, was that the error code in Update Diagnostic changed. It went to 80070005. I tried some of the things suggested for that but also to no avail. Because I suspected the original problem may have been caused by a virus I had done numerous sweeps and then downloaded AVG. It also found nothing but offered a tune up service. A feature of that was to clear Windows Update. I don't know what it did, but in a couple of seconds it fixed the problem I had spent weeks on.
I think the original problem was an update for IE11, KB3139929, and I declined to re-install that update once Windows Update was working again.
There was a missing cat and mum pair and without your help that would not have been fixed.
Thanks again for the help you gave me and for sticking with it. It's only because of the work of people like you two, Boggin and Julian, that a forum like this keeps giving such great support.