Author Topic: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7  (Read 111731 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2016, 08:05:33 am »
Try Option one - if you ever get another laptop, make sure it isn't a HP :D

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:30 am »
You won't believe it when I use Option 1 input the Paragon disc in you get a black screen for a while 20 seconds or so and it returns to Windows boot manager and says Windows failed to restart pop in your windows installation disc I tried it twice and you're absolutely right I will never buy another HP any suggestions you must be getting pretty Fed Up.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:17 am »
That should have booted from the DVD drive as it was listed.

The other item was for your HDD - were you sure you selected Option 1 for it to boot from the DVD drive ?

Try booting with F10 then have a look at that bottom menu to see what defaults you can change.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2016, 08:41:52 am »
I absolutely selected Option 1 DVD drive I just tried it again that same thing happens now I will try with F10 I found boot options under F10 on the right hand side of the screen it says set boot order device boot capability and accessibility options on the left side of the screen it has language fan always on and boot options highlighted in white the DVD is already in the drive should I push enter on boot options highlighted in the white. I'm going to be away for about a half hour and I will do whatever you've answered thanks for all your time

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:45 am »
Yes, give that a try and if it boots from the DVD then select Safe Mode in the Paragon options and leave it at that until you come back.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:55 am »
Sorry I couldn't do it at that time I had someone waiting for me downstairs whenever
I hit the boot options the screen shows  CD ROM boot enabled. Floppy boot enabled and turn on network adapter boot disabled
Below that it says boot order and this is highlighted in white should I hit enter on the boot order in white?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2016, 10:41:37 am »
No matter what I do it always reverts back to the Windows boot manager

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:00 pm »
What does it show in the boot manager - are there any options ?

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2016, 03:33:47 pm »
Hello munchie2222, If your HDD is failing and the cause is not due the the click of death and you have data on it such as photos and data you would like to rescue there is a way to do so. Of course you would have to have access to a working computer. A docking station to take 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs can be bought for approx. £14. You just disconnect the internal drive from the u/s computer and insert it into the docking station, connect the ds to a USB port and switch it on to enable access to the data. If you can get your computer working again buy an external USB HDD and move any important data to it. If any of your programs allow their data to be saved externally alter their settings to do so. My desktop computer died on me a few months ago but having a number of external HDDs connected to it saved me losing years of photographs, emails and master programs purchased over the years. Any restore points I make on the C drive I also do to an external HDD using Shane's Registry Backup program. Using this belts and braces approach has paid off as there has been times where if for some reason the C drive restore point has failed the Registry Backup one has succeeded.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2016, 02:20:37 am »
Sorry for taking so long to reply I was away due to a heath issue.
Boggin: in boot manager it says to insert the Windows installation disc and then restart the computer but I think there is a more serious problem now that I will explain further down.

Thank you of your input as1953, it is very much appreciated but I think it is to late. I don't have any pictures or Video's to worry about and most of my personnel files have been  stored on DVD as well, thank God.

Yesterday I tried to do a PRIMARY HARD DISC SELF TEST: Here are the results:
Quick test is Executing
25% complete (still the same at 25% after 18 hrs.)
#10008-replace Hard Disc 1 Rent Test Item
Full Test is Executing
00% Complete
#10008-replace Hard Disc 1 Rent Test Item

Smart Disk
Smart hard Disk Passed
ESC     Exit

Press Escape
Hard Disk test Failed
Hard disk 1 QUICK" (3003)

Now the computer won't power off.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2016, 02:51:24 am »
Hope you are feeling better Pete.

Not shutting down could be because the boot sector is corrupt on the HDD.

I'm not sure if you can still get to an admin cmd prompt but see if shutdown /r /t 00 will do it, but it may not boot up again.

You could try turning Hibernate off with this cmd to see if it will shutdown powercfg -h off but I think you will have to take it in to a repair shop to get your MS Word salvaged from the HDD, unless you want to try as1953's suggestion of getting a docking station and an external HDD to save the data onto.

I don't know how big MS Word is - MS Works is 557MB which will easily go onto a DVD or a Flash drive, but having an external HDD for system images is always useful.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2016, 03:32:45 am »
Thanks Tom, a big bite of the famous ailment called Gout, hope you've never had it or get it, it is painful.

I cant enter any commands nor shut it down so I will take it to our computer store to salvage what programs and files I can but would you still work with me to get it up and running. If so do I need a new hard drive and what should I have the computer store do.

Not that I'm cheap, I'm just plain stubborn and hate being defeated, as for MS word it comes as a package (MS Office) and think  I will be able to get that programme from a friend.
Have a great day! Thanks again
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2016, 04:22:00 am »
No, never had gout but have had the trots often enough :D

Yes, you will need a new HDD.

You could also take the ISO with you and the shop could install that - asking them to change the product key to your COA sticker key.

If that works, that will save you from the expense of an OEM Win 7 install as MS no longer supply the retail version of Win 7 anything.

The shop may have their own way of reinstalling Win 7, but this method should it work and will be the least inexpensive - I guess it depends upon the integrity of the repair shop.

Licence keys for MS Office can be tricky when it is only a single licence key and will be rejected if used on another machine.

Have the shop look for the two MS Word folders as I've described and then they can be dragged and dropped back into their respective sections once Windows has been reinstalled.

To get it to reinstall, open the MS Word folder in Windows and double click on the batch file application and that will restore it.

I assume a HP preinstalled program as such should be pretty much the same as Toshiba have theirs, although HP from our experience seem to do things their own way :(

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2016, 05:19:56 am »
Tom you won't believe this I just put the Windows repair disk I made in 2011 and was able to boot with that disk. Startup repair is checking the computer for problems and I think once that's done I will put in the Paragon disk and see if I can boot from that. I will get back to you shortly let me know if I should do things differently who knows what'll happen it's me.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2016, 05:31:34 am »
That's something at least, but I don't hold out much hope for the Paragon disk - but who knows.

I'm going to have to shoot off for while to get ready for a Drs appointment but should be back in about a couple of hours.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2016, 05:37:23 am »
Good luck at the doctor's place and I will keep you informed thanks Tom

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2016, 07:36:39 am »
It was just a routine visit - nothing serious.

Any progress to report with the repair or Paragon disks ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:16 am »
I got it to boot up as far as it accepted my password, it is now at the blue screen trying to load. I used the repair disk I made and it has been sitting at the blue screen for 10min. or so. Will keep you informed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:48 am »
Is that with the repair disk or Paragon ?

If it's with the repair disk, see if Paragon will go a bit further.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2016, 09:35:38 am »
That's with the repair disk currently I have the screen in front of me that allows me to enter commands, should I insert the Paragon disc, and could you show me the commands I should enter in order to boot with the Paragon disc.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:03 am »
What does the screen give you ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2016, 09:47:02 am »
The top of the screen highlighted in blue  it
says administrator X backward slash windows backward slash system 32 backward slash CMD. EXE
The black screen says Microsoft Windows version 6.1 .7 600
X = backward slash windows backward slash system 32 in the cursor blinks waiting for a command to be typed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:04 am »
That's the recovery environment cmd prompt - the only practical thing you could do from there is a chkdsk c: /f or /r

It may be worth running the chkdsk c: without the /f or /r switch to see how much the HDD has deteriorated, but you need to see if the Paragon disk will boot up to save any of the folders and as there are known bad sectors on the HDD, a chkdsk c: /r would probably take ages even if it could complete.

A chkdsk c: should show its report much quicker as it is a read-only mode.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2016, 10:02:01 am »
To get the Paragon disk to boot up what command do I use?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:08 am »
You would have enter exit to close the cmd window and see which window that takes you to, but as you managed to boot up with the repair disk, you will have to try your luck with the Paragon disk that way.

I normally have my other laptop to refresh my memory on what happens but it's in for repair.