Author Topic: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7  (Read 110388 times)

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
Re: NEED HELP wINDOWS 7
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2016, 10:10:04 am »
Thanks Tom will be in touch, I will be away for a while but will let you know hen I am done.
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2016, 10:12:28 am »
I'll be shooting off shortly as well for my evening meal - it must be about lunchtime for you ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
Yeah it's actually shortly after lunch it's a quarter after one here. When I tried to boot from the Paragon desk it says no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key. I looked on the DVD with the Paragon program and what's on that DVD is rK14free.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:37 am »
I think you have gone as far as you can now and there's nothing else for it but to put it in.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2016, 03:59:26 am »
Sorry I haven't replied my gout got far worse so I have off my feet completely. I agree with you I will take it in as soon as I am mobile and let you know when I get it back. Until then stay healthy and thanks to everyone who offered their time and input.
Regards
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:18 am »
It's reckoned Gout is caused by too richer food, although I used to know someone who got it regular and his may have been caused by booze.

Not sure if yours could be as a result of the medication you must be taking or if you need to review your diet....

Wait until you get the disks before you take it in.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2016, 06:38:55 am »
Mine is caused buy food, if I eat to much  (RED MEAT), I am not a big drinker even though I make my own wine at home and I only get gout once or so every 2 years .
I will wait for the discs and I also wondered if I should I load Windows 10 on my wife's computer or is it too soon? and if I run  your repair program should I run it in safe mode and is there any section I would be more likely to screw up in.

Have a great day.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:49 am »
It's Shane's program - not mine :)  and there's only a need to run it if you have problems other than hardware ones.

Some haven't had any problems after upgrading to Win 10 whereas others have.

It would be up to you if you wanted to go ahead with that.

Are you going to do it via the system tray icon or Windows Updates and have you done the compatibility test via the icon ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2016, 08:25:34 am »
No I haven't done the compatibility test yet and what do you recommend, system trays icon or windows update?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:18 am »
I think I went via the system tray icon but don't remember now, but change your wife's boot options to permanently boot from CD/DVD and USB (if applicable) before the HDD before the upgrade as Win 10 boots up that quickly, they may not work afterwards should you need to revert after the 30 day grace period - and don't forget to create a system image onto preferably an external HDD.

Does your wife have the Win 10 update waiting in Windows Updates ?

You will need to run the compatibility test first as some have found their graphics drivers weren't compatible.

I think through the icon you can use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Win 10 ISO disk.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2016, 09:03:03 am »
Yes she does and the guy who owns the local computer just called because my wife stopped in to see about a new computer for an anniversary gift to me for our 48th. She was telling Scott about my problems and I just got off the phone with him and he offered to completely make my HP new for 130.00 all inclusive with the exceptions of the hard drive, if need he would replace it for $20.00.
I new his Dad very well he was an alcoholic and I spent a considerable amount of time helping his family as best I could. Scott said he wished he could do it for free but he has a new partner and it wouldn't fly to well with him.
Do you think that is a good deal or what?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:08 am »
Including the C$20 for the HDD that works out at just short of £81

If that includes putting Win 7 back on or if he is going to restore it with a bought HP OEM install so that it will be as out of the box, then that sounds very reasonable.

It cost me ~£41 for a bootable Toshiba OEM Recovery flash drive.

Have you asked him how he is going to do it ?

As your wife is planning to get you a new one for your wedding anniversary, will you really need this one refurbishing, or do you just want it back up and running for old times sake and as a back up machine ?

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2016, 09:39:48 am »
I don't want the new one, its a waste of money if the old guy can be fixed, there are things my wife wants that I would prefer she put the money into and it will be for the both of us. Yes he will put my computer back to original condition same as he did when I purchased I purchased it from him. Recover files from HDD, all third party software, ready to use and I trust him.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
I would go for that then and how very thoughtful of you.

While you may still be able to get hold of Win 7 machines, the ones that are on the shelves are more likely to be Win 10 with perhaps the odd Win 8.1.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2016, 03:42:36 am »
I will still wait for the disks you sent and a least give them a shot, after all you were good enough to send them and I want to try them just to see if I can learn something.
It's not really thoughtful but a mater of reality, we have Joanie's computer, the Samsung Tablet so we honestly don't need to spend money so I can have a new computer. We are going to buy new lawn furniture for the pool yard and a new BBQ.
Will let you know when the disk's arrive and have a great weekend.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:51 am »
If he's going to more or less factory reset it for you, then you won't need the install disks, but they can be useful for repair purposes so it wasn't a complete waste sending them to you.

Let's not forget that things deteriorated rapidly between sending you the disks and where you are now with the computer.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2016, 04:04:59 am »
I am aware of that and lets not forget that a good portion of the deterioration was probably due to my lack of knowledge. I can't thank you enough for the many hours you spent helping me, not to many people would sacrifice their time to help an old guy. You asked me at one point if I had given you a Karma and I'm not sure how that works, could you let me know.
Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2016, 04:08:52 am »
There's no need really as I found out who gave it to me, but you just click on the Applaud link under the user's name.

It wasn't anything you had done as there's nothing you can do about a failing HDD.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2016, 07:17:50 am »
I would have done that a long time ago but I wasn't aware of it. You have been amazing, your effort to help me has been relentless and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help, my wife can't believe you put up with me for so long.
Pete

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2016, 11:34:16 am »
When I take on a job, I'll always see it through to the end - whether that is to an eventual successful conclusion or to when I can go no further, either because something is above my pay grade or as in your case, a hardware fault.

Besides - I haven't had to put up with you as long as your wife has  :wink: :cheesy:

Oh - and thanks for the Karma :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:05:42 pm by Boggin »

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
I used to like you, again have a great weekend oh yes question: I have a Canon Mg-3100 wireless printer that I loaded the software on Joanie's computer but I used the USB method. Is there any reason I couldn't re-load it using the wireless method  so I would no longer need the USB connection? Ha Ha thought you were done eh?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »
You may have to uninstall it first.

I use an Epson printer and have always installed it for wireless, so not sure if you could convert yours to wireless without the reinstall.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2016, 03:50:24 am »
Thank you kind sir.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2016, 04:03:36 am »
Printer work great wireless no problem with set up. Should I mark my topic as solved and how do I do that?
Have a great weekend.

Offline munchie2222

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:30 am »
You may have to uninstall it first.

I use an Epson printer and have always installed it for wireless, so not sure if you could convert yours to wireless without the reinstall.
Printer works great and I received the discs today, is there a #1 and #2 and how can I tell which is which? Should I mark this topic as solved, and again thank you so much for everything.
Pete