Author Topic: Bug in Registry Backup v3.40  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Bug in Registry Backup v3.40
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:20:12 am »
- In the left hand bottom of the RB GUI the latest version of RB (v3.40) a bug pops up. RB seems to forget to report what RB is busy doing. See screenshot inside the red & blue boxes.

Offline streetwolf

• View Profile
Re: Bug in Registry Backup v3.40
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:11:19 pm »
Another bug.  I no longer get the message about how many hives or whatever were backed up.  Used to say 14 of 14. Now there is nothing.
Intel Core [email protected] | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K LCD | 4-512GB Samsung 970 PRO M.2 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 480GB  SanDisk USB Extreme900 | Windows 10 Pro | FIOS 1Gb

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »
Yeap I see the problem with the text not showing. The new color options use new controls and the code is pulling the color wrong and so the text color is the same as the back color and so you dont see it. I have it fixed I will have it done in the next update :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:28 pm »
IN fact it was an easy fix. I will wait till monday to put out 3.4.1 so I can release it with the next update of Windows Repair on Monday, till then here is the new exe, v3.4.1 just replace the exe you have with this one and let me know :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:41 am »
- Typo problem ?
- Yes, it seems the bug is gone.
- I also noticed that sometimes the GUI of RB does not align/overlaps with the Windows window and then Windows shows part of its own window and displays the name "Tweaking .................. " in the header. See the red Arrow in the top of the picture I attached. Does some information get passed along to Windows quickly enough ?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »
Would the following info give you a clue of what's going on when RB v3.40 & v3.41 crash ?

I had RB v3.41 installed in a special folder outside the "Program Files (x86)" folder. When I (manually) start RB  then CPU usage goes up to 25% on a 4 core CPU (one core maxed out). RB notices that the previous backup attempt failed and RB displayed the message "Backup failed. Would you like to use the "Fallback method" instead ?". When this message pops up then CPU of RB drops to zero. As soon as I make a choice CPU went back up to 25%. CPU drops back to zero only when the helper program(s) "vss ................... " starts running.

- I also noticed that regularly the RB button on the taskbar starts to flash in blue. As soon as I click on that button then & only then the main RB GUI pops up in the middle of the screen.

- Sometimes I am able to make a copy of the registry using RB. But then regularly RB crashes after that copy has been made and before the RB GUI closes.

Computers are complicated things. Right ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 08:34:36 am »
- I also noticed that sometimes the GUI of RB does not align/overlaps with the Windows window and then Windows shows part of its own window and displays the name "Tweaking .................. " in the header. See the red Arrow in the top of the picture I attached. Does some information get passed along to Windows quickly enough ?

That one I dont know. The window has a normal frame and boarder around it, I call a Windows api to remove it. This is the only way to keep the right click menu on in the task bar for it, because windows removes the right click for boarder less windows. So why the API is having trouble on yours I dont know, but I do know it is graphical so i want if video drivers might be playing a part.

I had RB v3.41 installed in a special folder outside the "Program Files (x86)" folder. When I (manually) start RB  then CPU usage goes up to 25% on a 4 core CPU (one core maxed out). RB notices that the previous backup attempt failed and RB displayed the message "Backup failed. Would you like to use the "Fallback method" instead ?". When this message pops up then CPU of RB drops to zero. As soon as I make a choice CPU went back up to 25%. CPU drops back to zero only when the helper program(s) "vss ................... " starts running.

When you first open the program it will go as fast as the cpu can do on the one core, it is loading all the controls, graphics and then loading the treeview and all that. When the startup of it is done then it would pop up that message box. And while a message box is open the program cant do anything since it is single threaded. Then when you tell it to do the fallback method it is going to work on the backup, of course it is going to go as fast as it can.

It is calling the windows api to save the registry to new files, it it coping them, grabbing their file size, getting their permissions and so on.
When it comes to using the VSS method the cpu isnt doing anything because the program is waiting for the shadow copy to be ready. Then it kicks in.

You shouldn't worry about the cpu usage, I want the program going as fast as it can. Now if the cpu was maxed out and the program was frozen, then that would be a problem. :wink:

- Sometimes I am able to make a copy of the registry using RB. But then regularly RB crashes after that copy has been made and before the RB GUI closes.
Yeap and you will see the backup did create. This has been a bug for a while now and I already figured out what it is with another user. The program is opening and closing so fast that all the graphics and such are not done drawing. Then the program goes and closes itself before the graphics where done and bomb we have a crash.

I had a hard time replicating it on my system, I did put in code to slow down the auto backups to give the graphics time to catch up. This is also why it never crashes when ran normally.

Problem is I have been able able to trace where the crash is coming from. I also have a very powerful gaming computer I work on and have a very good graphics card. So the graphics draw fast, I think thats why I cant replicate it. I also noticed it happens more when it is ran at startup from the system account.

Shane

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:26:44 am »
Good to hear you figured it out why RB sometimes crashes AFTER making a backup.

Perhaps it's better to add MORE (!!!!) delays at the beginning of the program as well. Then RB has more time to load the controls and won't crash any more. Because when I manually run the program I know that RB can/will crash. Then I want to change some settings and I am able to change one setting only before RB crashes. So, if I want to change say 5 settings then I have to start RB 5 times to do that.

Click on the link below to see my system setup (thanks to Piriform's SPECCY):
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BCNKxed2RTKQdGbN4KoZoak
(Just an average setup on a (mediocre ??) laptop)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:56 am »
Adding more delays in RB at the beginning of the program (BEFORE it makes a backup) perhaps would also solve the problem mentioned in reply #0 and #4.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »
- RB v3.41 crashes again. Yes, the "message color" problem has been solved but now it's the GUI again that's crashing with high CPU. And now it's doing that at more than 2 places in the program code.

- Task Manager reports a CPU of 25%, and that all 4 cores have about the same high CPU score. Odd, because I thought Rb would max out only 1 core to the max. Or am I missing something ?

- Perhaps more details later. MUST RUN !!!