Author Topic: Movie maker effects don't play  (Read 6731 times)

Offline spyros258

• View Profile
Movie maker effects don't play
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »
Hi, i have windows xp sp3 but i can't get the effects of windows movie maker to work although they were working good in past. Also when i do right clip on any of them the choice to play the clip isn't available. I have reinstalled movie maker and removed codecs but they still don't play. Has anyone anything else to suggest me to try? Or if u could tell me what other windows files or components the movie maker requires to work well thx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Movie maker effects don't play
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:46:26 pm »
Do any of these errors apply to you http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/movie-maker-common-errors-faq and have you tried your restore points back to when it was working - or is that too long ago ?

You could also see if there's anything to help you in this article - http://superuser.com/questions/260916/how-to-install-windows-movie-maker-for-xp

Offline spyros258

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:07:02 pm »
I had reinstalled that through moviemk.inf with xp sp3 cd and i don't have any restore point when it was working good, i noticed that suddenly one day! But i see now that if i disable all plugins through movie maker the option to play clip is available but it gives unknown error. If i enable them the videos play but the lav codecs are flickering at the buttom right on screen and if i go to effects movie maker closes. It seems that it's something wrong with the codecs and i have too many. It needs to uninstall them all completely and restore the default movie maker plugins but haven't fount any good program that removes them  :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:22:42 pm »
It's quite possible a K-Lite Codec pack could resolve your problems.

Here is a help article someone has posted with links to K-Lite.

http://lehsys.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/how-to-load-k-lite-codecs-for-windows.html

Offline spyros258

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »
Finally solved! Don't know what fixed it exactly i installed again directx9 (i had 10) uninstalled all codec packs and installed again only latest k-lite codecs and at movie maker i checked all plugins including the k-lite plugins and it worked. Thx for the support!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:00:05 pm by spyros258 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »
Glad something worked for you :)

I think someone else on the forum recently had to install DirectX9 for something while they had DirectX10, as that particular application prompted for it.