Author Topic: New Member Help (SOLVED)  (Read 10560 times)

Offline BaryBazz

• View Profile
New Member Help (SOLVED)
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:54:02 am »
Hi,
I have recently become a pro user to solve my problems but I am still having problems installing 11 windows updates and get the dreaded error message 80070490.  I have tried the full suite or repairs and a few other fixes from Microsoft but still no joy.

I am using a Sony vaio laptop with win 7 home premium , 64 bit with IE11.

I don't know if it is related but when I open some pages in IE11 all the text is in a narrow width down the left hand side of the page but there is no problem when viewed in chrome or on another computer. I have tried resetting IE and playing with the compatibility settings but again no luck. Maybe this is related to getting some updates which can't be installed.

Hope you can help.
Barry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:03:00 am by BaryBazz »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: New Member Help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 05:34:56 am »
did you try windows system readiness tool. if not  try to use it . it will fix your problem
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline BaryBazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 05:57:20 am »
yes already tried that tool but no joy

Barry

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 06:36:49 am »
- Did you anything else with your system while updating ? I know Windows Update is very "brittle" and can easily be "broken". I Always use the "Update system & shutdown system" option of Windows when I close my system. Then Windows Update can use all the resources it needs and won't generate such an error.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 07:33:18 am »
That Windows Update error is a difficult one and in some cases, a factory reset/reinstall was the only solution.

If you've run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT), it will have produced a log.

This can be found in C:\Windows\Logs then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Of the MS Fixits, have you run this one to reset the update components ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Have you tried updating just one update at a time, or Googling for the MS direct download for each update ?

As for your IE problem, not sure if the Anvi Browser Repair Tool will do anything for you.

http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

Click on the IE icon in the left pane to see/edit the repairs.

How long have you had the IE problem and did it occur after downloading anything and have you tried IE without add-ons ?

Windows key+r then type iexplore -extoff and press enter then click on the home page icon to browse.

Offline BaryBazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 08:51:46 am »
That Windows Update error is a difficult one and in some cases, a factory reset/reinstall was the only solution.

If you've run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT), it will have produced a log.

This can be found in C:\Windows\Logs then double click on the Checksur one which will open in Notepad.

Of the MS Fixits, have you run this one to reset the update components ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/97105

Have you tried updating just one update at a time, or Googling for the MS direct download for each update ?

As for your IE problem, not sure if the Anvi Browser Repair Tool will do anything for you.

http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

Click on the IE icon in the left pane to see/edit the repairs.

How long have you had the IE problem and did it occur after downloading anything and have you tried IE without add-ons ?

Windows key+r then type iexplore -extoff and press enter then click on the home page icon to browse.

Hi Boggin

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I will try the solutions you have given and report back. I don't really want to do a complete reinstall and will only do this as a last resort.
I think I have sorted the IE11 problem as I've appears this was something to do with rendering.

Barry

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:00:32 am »
Thanks for the update on IE - I wouldn't have associated that with rendering as I would have expected other problems.

I assume you un/checked the first box under Advanced for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering ?

Flash Player first came to mind as Chrome has its own, but there again, other problems would have been experienced if FP had been buggy.

Offline BaryBazz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »
Here is the log. Can anyone advise.

Barry

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
Did you run the Pre-Scan in Option 2 of Windows Repairs to see if it reported missing Package files ?

There are quite a lot in the Checksur log.

If they tally with what the Pre-Scan reports and you are using an Intel CPU, then go to your computer support site and download the Chipset drivers and then redo the Pre-Scan to see what it reports then

The Component store also has corruption, but don't know if the two go together - I'll ask Shane about those.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:46:59 am »
Wow! I just read that log i would really like to see what your prescan log show's. The 0x80070490 is a nasty error with the cbs manifest.
Julian

Offline BaryBazz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:51:36 am »
Had to do a complete format in the end but all problems now sorted.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Bazzer

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 02:01:27 am »
Another member is getting the same error and this MS offering hasn't helped https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

I think he'll eventually have to do what you have done, which is the only fix others have had to resort to for that error code.

You can add [SOLVED] to your thread title by going back to your opening post, click on Modify and add that or similar to the thread title.