Author Topic: Windows 7 How to correct large number of missing packages  (Read 5141 times)

Offline CogburnRoo

• View Profile
Windows 7 How to correct large number of missing packages
« on: April 02, 2016, 04:09:50 PM »
Hi,
I'm running Win 7 SP1 and have had problems lately with Windows update. I thought I had it corrected. I do have the Tweaking Repair tool with tech tools. Was noticing earlier today that the same 2 updates keep getting downloaded and installed by WinUpd. They are: KB3004375 and KB3031432. Also when I run the Tweaking repair tool it tells me I am missing 998 packages. I would rather not fix them manually and was hoping I could feed the log of missing packages into a repair or download process. I've attached the pre-scan log file.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
PS. On a side note. Is Microsoft messing with Win 7 users to "encourage" them to upgrade to Win10?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 How to correct large number of missing packages
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
Have you run the Environment Variables repairs ?

When that many Package Files are reported as corrupt or missing, it has been found that if Intel is being used, downloading the chipset drivers has resolved - but run another Pre-Scan afterwards - else Julian has his work cut out uploading them for you when he picks up your thread and you getting busy as well.
Tom.

Offline CogburnRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
Yes,
The environment variables repair was run to no avail. I checked the Chipset update utility and it didn't find anything for my machine.
I ran all of the repairs again via the tool and did the pre-scan again and it still shows 998 of them.
When you say "get busy" do you mean manually downloading them from the MS catalog?
Any other options to try?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
If you look at one of the other threads asking for help With Package files, you will see the procedure you will have to perform after they have been uploaded - but 988 is a hell of a lot.

Have you downloaded anything other than updates recently and/or run Disk Cleanup as an admin to clean out any obsolete WUs ?

Perhaps restoring to prior the updates if your restore points go back that far and then redo the Pre-Scan to see what it reports then.

You could Google for each of those two repeated updates and see if they will install manually.
Tom.

Offline CogburnRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to think about the restore possibility. I would need to go and identify any of my personal data files changed since that point and preserve them I believe correct? As well as Outlook.
The more I researched on those two MS updates it seemed like MS or no one at their forums etc. wanted to reply or touch that answer.....makes me wonder what MS is up to. I saw something about it being related to products that modify the Microsoft products outside their realm.....ahem.... like this tool!?  I could be crazy. But I see others have had the same issue without much of a resolution that I could find.

Back to this issue, what's the long term consequences if I don't do anything with all of these packages?

Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »
Apparently they can cause problems with updates but you should have tried your restore points before now as they do fall off the shelf as time goes on.

Restore points only affect system files and anything you may have installed since then - they don't affect personal stuff.

When you check the box for more restore points, check the box for Scan for affected programs as Adobe Reader, Flash Player and Java have had updates in March.

I was hoping Julian would have picked up your thread by now but with having recently moved and work commitments may have delayed that.

I'll e-mail Shane to see if he has an explanation as to why you should have so many.

Reinstalling the Chipset drivers may have the same effect as would an update if they will allow a reinstall, so that may be something to try.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
If you are still struggling with this, have a look at my thread and what I did to resolve it.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4412.0.html
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 12:32:37 AM »
try running this and see what happens copy this and save as .bat run as an admin then after that completes reboot your computer
Code: [Select]
net stop cryptsvc
esentutl /p
%systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net start cryptsvc
pause
Julian

Offline Julian