Author Topic: Where do I go from here?  (Read 5903 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Where do I go from here?
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:26:57 pm »
I currently work as a IT support engineer, but my true passion lies in the creation of software.  While I may not have anything major released, I have made  available my simple tools for those who would have a use for them: a form filler (https://github.com/DemonDante/FormFill/archive/master.zip) which I created as a means to expedite the process of filling out job applications back when I didn't have one.  Becoming frustrated with the inconsistency and unreliability of import tools to pull information from a document or site and put it in the right place (other form fillers which rely on HTML tag names have this same issue), I wrote this tool to allow for users to save their personal information to a file, the contents of which are encrypted with AES, so the only place which displays the user's confidential info is the GUI of the program, select which pieces of the information are relevant to the form they want filled, and insert that information into the form (either using a paste tool or when the user clicks the primary mouse button when the "I-beam" cursor is active) quickly and without needing to touch their keyboard.  Another tool, my updater program (https://github.com/DemonDante/UpdateUtility/archive/master.zip), which takes advantage of multiple powershell modules to perform both automated windows software installations and windows updates.  However, I would consider myself to be intermediate at best in regards to my knowledge and ability to write usable, production quality software, and I want to get better.  I took a few classes in college, but they never really got more advanced than how to create a GUI, and there are many things that I just don't know, like use of DLLs, COM/OLE Objects, creating Ser-defined functions, obtaining input from USB, Plug-and-play devices, and other advanced tools/topics. My question is, does anybody have any recommendations concerning reference material or maybe a tool which personally worked for you that could increase my knowledge and understanding of advanced programming concepts (eg DLLs for dummies or something).  And PLEASE do not say Microsoft development website.  I understand that it si a good tool as well, but I need to learn how to utilize the content posted there first, and their website is about as organized as an explosion.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:29:25 pm by whiggs »

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
Seriously?!  I post my question over a week ago and absolutely no feedback?!  Why don't you guys kick me square in the jewels while you are at it?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:51:40 am »
I passed on your thread to Shane but as he has been extremely busy over the last few months and has had other problems, it may have slipped through the net.

I'll email him again with a link to your thread.

No one kicks anyone in the jewels on here - if we can help - we will, but in some cases, patience is required.