Author Topic: will there by change in speed in wifi connected to the pc, and in the pc  (Read 10405 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, i noticed a strange thing. when connected with router thro lan, the pc is having great speed, that my ISP provide, but if i just use the modem wifi to the laptop thro wifi the speed suddenly decreases . Is it a fact that when you connect to modem with pc, your normal speed prevails and when you access the same with another device, say , a laptop, the speed differs. pl your view
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You would normally get a better sync speed when wired to wireless, depending upon how far the machine using wireless is from the router - otherwise there would be very little difference when different machines are the same distance from the router.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, boggins, i want a little more information. I wired with pc, and in the adjacent room have the laptop. the router distance is only a room distance. at maximum the router is about fifteen to twenty feet, whereas the distance from router to comp, wired is three to four feet. but i do not know, how if is connected to wired the speed is somewhat greater than the speed , thro wireless.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Chances are your ethernet NIC adapter is rated faster than your wireless adapter and also, wireless has the overheads for things like WPA2 security.

My set up is ancient but my ethernet NIC is 100Mbps and my wireless G adapter is 54Mbps YMMV  :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There's less latency/time lag with wired and the further away from the router, the weaker the wireless signal will be.

When you are in another room to the router though, it isn't so much the distance although a factor, but what sort of material the signal has to travel through.

Sometimes changing channels in the router can help and using a program like inSSIDer3 can assist in finding the best channel to use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

@ Samson - the speeds you are referring to are for data transfer to other machines and has nothing to do with broadband speeds.

http://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-fi-vs.-ethernet-how-much-better-is-a-wired-connection/

Offline Samson

• View Profile
@ Samson - the speeds you are referring to are for data transfer to other machines and has nothing to do with broadband speeds.

So are you saying that a 100Mbps  broadband connection would run just as fast on a 54Mbps wireless g connection as on a 100Mbps wired ethernet NIC?

EDIT

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread J  :shy:

The above example I gave is not a good one, but. Surely with a 200Mbps broadband connection and a gigabit NIC and a gigabit connection at the router it would be faster than 100Mbps NIC and the same 100Mbps at the router?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:41:30 am by Samson »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Your ADSL broadband sync speed is determined by the length and quality of the cable and joints between you and the exchange.

I have a 10/100 PCI Family Ethernet Controller and a Wireless b/g/n adapter rated at 300 Mbps with a broadband sync speed of around 6.6meg.

A Gigabit Ethernet is 10/100/1000.

Log into the router and check the Downstream Attenuation - divide that by 13.81 and that will give you the approx. length of cable in kms between you and the exchange, so the higher that figure, the lower the sync speed and vice versa.

Even when someone is within spitting distance of the exchange, their Downstream Attenuation may not reflect that because of the cable routing and who else it has to service.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
I get that Boggin. But the point I was trying to make was that the NIC can sometimes be the bottleneck to speed, talking here about fibre really I guess. http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3851&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

I'll shut up... Sorry for hijacking J  :shy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The discussion may have served its purpose in clarifying an adapter's rating and broadband sync speeds :)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
The discussion may have served its purpose in clarifying an adapter's rating and broadband sync speeds :)

:cheesy: Did I mention that my 54g wireless USB adapter is plugged into a USB 1.1 port, so even slower!
You can tell, that although I am the head of my family, where I sit in the pecking order of the household  :cheesy:

J, really, really sorry for hijacking  :shy:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
             One more thing. we are having a fair average speed up to a certain limit and then set to normal speed.  UP to one gb, you get 2mbbs speed and then 512 kb speed. Then you are alerted to get extra speed by accepting their alert, the cost of which will come in the next bill.
                 My point of query is because, in the first week of browsing, when i  experienced the normal speed , where as it should be the higher to the eligibility of connection.
                i checked the speed it was around 1.30 to 1.6 at that time. But when downloaded the program, malware bytes, it was only around 52 to 60 kb per seconds, which equals normal speed.
                So, i have the doubt of broadband width with wired and wireless connection.
                 Boggins, is it that this broadband width will be spread across the use of device , if some device access this brandwidth. if suppose, i use pc, wired with , laptop and android mobile with wireless thro the same modem, would the speed i mentioned above would be apportioned automatically between these devices.
                    Is it also the fact, if you are downloading the two applications at the same time, the speed of brandwidth will get apportioned.
Samson, you are not hijacking the thread, you are adding points that everybody should know. Boggins, i have to go through your post about router link to try for any change , thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The bandwidth doesn't really get apportioned say when one device is streaming video, that will impact upon another or other devices and if they are all involved in heavy downloads/uploads, that can max out the bandwidth to the point of disconnection for one or more devices.

There is a thing called Quality of Service (QoS) which is set within the router where you can set a given % of the bandwidth to each device, but as you are on a low package anyway, for each device to be reasonably functional, common sense will need to prevail with the usage of the devices.

To determine what your max speed is, do a speed test with just one device switched on, but some ISPs can throttle the bandwidth to their customers at peak times so that each has some form of connection.

If you aren't getting what you are paying for then you should take that up with your ISP, but it could just as easily be because of a bad connection somewhere between you and the exchange which will produce a line fault that your ISP can investigate.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:15:59 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
hi, thanks for the best possible explanation. so it is possible that the downloading site could throttle the download speed of their program. excellent , i have seen that qos somewhere, but could not remember. thanks .moreover, when i raised the query , i was only using the laptop, and the speed of the bandwidth shown as normal

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No, it's the ISP who could be throttling the bandwidth - however, at peak times your speed could be reduced because of an increase in users.

This is called Contention - this article explains this - http://www.choose.net/media/guide/features/broadband-speeds-explained.html

You could check this by doing downloads at different times of the day as I doubt your ISP would admit to throttling.