Author Topic: Current Repairs Failing  (Read 6208 times)

Offline iTateComputers

• View Profile
Current Repairs Failing
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »
I have an Acer desktop running windows 7 64-bit that I have been trying to get fixed.  The computer is failing updates and digging around, the permissions to the Windows Installer folder are all hosed up.  That may be just one of the issues.  I have done the normal cleanups, virus scans, and rootkit scans and then I stumbled across your program.

This keeps happening in safe mode with networking and even tried to run it from safe mode command prompt and still the same thing.  Ran all the optional pre steps.  After hitting start repairs, I get the starting repairs but then it fails 30 seconds later saying the current repair has failed to start 5 times and then all the stuff about doing it in safe mode...etc.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Current Repairs Failing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »
Did the Pre-Scan in Option 2 come back clean ?

I assume you will have done a chkdsk /f from the cmd prompt then to see if any bad sectors were reported ?

Have you run a sfc /scannow or the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) to see what they report ?

If the sfc /scannow reports corruption it cannot repair, then run SFCFix.exe which will give a more concise report and may even fix the corruption.

https://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

This is for the SURT http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

It's a sizable download and can take a while to run.

Have you checked Event Viewer to see if anything is recorded regarding the Windows Installer or any other related errors ?

Offline iTateComputers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:06:28 am »
Yea, I have done all the SFC and checkdisk options.  I even enabled the built in Administrator account and it's permissions are screwed up more than the users.  I really did not want to go this route since I have put any many hours trying to get this fixed, but I'm thinking just a full reload is where I'm at now.  Love the program though.  There were some things it fixed in the pre scans and liked what I saw from the repair tool.  I guess sometimes, systems are just too hosed to get fixed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:57:24 am »
It may have to come to a reinstall but I'll pass this onto Shane should he have any other ideas.

Are you able to turn off UAC and was there anything in Event Viewer ?

Offline iTateComputers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:28:40 am »
I went ahead with the reload option.  I really think the thing was beyond fixing.  I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it and at some point, it's time to just wipe and reload.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:36:36 am »
It was probably the quickest method, but it would have been useful to find out why the Permissions screwed up.

I'll let Shane know you have done a reinstall and if everything is now AOK, then you can add (SOLVED) to your thread title by going to your opening post, click on Modify then add that to the title.