Author Topic: Windows Fax and Scanner Problems  (Read 10309 times)

Offline rudolph963

• View Profile
Windows Fax and Scanner Problems
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »
Replaced FXSAPI.dll and scanner is working now but still getting these messages from sfc /scannow report. Need to find out how to repair this.

Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"FXSAPI.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Fax-Common, Version = 6.1.7601.21705
Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"ehres.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ehome-ehres, Version = 6.1.7600.16385
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:35:19 pm by rudolph963 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Fax and Scanner Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:22:35 am »
Usually when you get a buggy .dll you would reinstall the program but with it being a Windows program, turning it off and then back on again may resolve.

Go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter then click on Turn Windows features on or off.

Expand Print and Document Services and uncheck the box for Windows Fax and Scan - OK - a reboot then rechecking the box should reinstate it, but create a restore point before making any changes.

You could also try unregistering/reregistering those .dlls with these commands from a command prompt run as an admin.

regsvr32 /u FXSAPI.dll

regsvr32 /i FXSAPI.dll

then do the same for ehres.dll

shutdown /r /t 00 (to effect an immediate reboot)

and then see if sfc /scannow still reports those errors either after turning it off and on or after those cmds if still required.

Offline rudolph963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »
I tried all of the above to no avail. I removed the check from windows fax and scan, closed out and restarted and got the message that the changes could not be completed and they were being uninstalled. Ran sfc  /scannow and got the following message:

Cannot repair member file [l:18{9}]"ehres.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ehome-ehres, Version = 6.1.7600.16385

Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"FXSAPI.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Fax-Common, Version = 6.1.7601.21705

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:58:08 pm »
So when you rechecked the box, you got that error message ?

Did you use a Win 7 install disk to extract and replace FXSAPI.dll ?

Offline rudolph963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 02:33:50 pm »
Never got to the point to recheck the windows fax and scan box as it would not disable/uninstall. I copied the file from my old hard drive a while ago, I think.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:43:01 pm »
That's unusual because you can normally turn on or off Windows features.

I assume your restore points don't go back far enough for them to precede the fax and scan problem ?

I'm just wondering as they are Windows files, if an offboot sfc /scannow would resolve them, but would need a Win 7 SP 1 install disk to perform that cmd.

Offline rudolph963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:24:28 pm »
Unfortunately this computer did not come with any disks. It came with windows 7 home and I upgraded to win 7 pro. Symptoms: you can scan with Microsoft Office Document Scanning but not with the HP Solution Center program which works best when it is working. Concerning the FXSAPI.dll file. I either copied it from the cloned hard drive or the original hard drive that came with this computer, I don't remember which.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:05:48 pm »
My first Toshiba Win 7 x64 laptop only came with a 32 bit disk - they must have thought I needed a coaster :)

I have Win 7 SP1 ISOs for 32 and 64 bit with which I can burn and send you a coupe of disks (one spare) for repair purposes - just PM me your address and let me know if you are using 32 or 64 bit.

The 64 bit ISO has the eicfg file removed so that it now covers from Starter to Ultimate, so can be used for the offboot sfc /scannow for your Pro.

The 32 bit is for Home Premium but I can remove the eicfg file to also make that an universal install disk.

To perform an offboot sfc /scannow you need to change the Boot order for the machine to boot up with the disk.

This can be done by tapping F2 to boot up into the BIOS to change it permanently (recommended by me) or by tapping F12 which will get you a one off boot change.

These keys are typical but can differ with make and model, but you will see which keys apply to your machine as you are momentarily prompted to press either as the machine boots up, so take notice of which they are the next time you boot up.

For instructional purposes we'll use F12.

Tapping that will get you a choice of options to select as the first media the machine will check - select the disk drive - may be listed as ODD, insert the disk and press enter.

You'll get a 10 second prompt to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.

After it has loaded the files you may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) - press enter.

When prompted, change/confirm the currency etc. then click on Repair your Computer on the splash screen.

When it looks for the OS to repair, make a note of its location as it may not always be C:

Select Command Prompt from the Window Recovery Environment (WRE).

You can use this cmd to confirm the location of the OS -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That is the Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \

Using whichever partition letter, enter (assuming c ) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ / offwindir=C:\Windows

For clarity, there's a space before each forward slash.

This takes a little bit longer than running the file check in Windows, but reports the same.

Remove the disk, enter exit to close the cmd window and Restart when done.

This cmd checks the file system on the computer against those in the install disk and hopefully will repair those .dlls for you.

Offline rudolph963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58:55 am »
Thanks for all the information and the disks. Did everything above but got the same message - windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details ... in the cbs.log

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »
I've had that on mine before now, but fortunately I was able to recover with a system image.

If you still have the Pro product key from the upgrade to Pro then you can perform a repair install with the install disk, but first back up your drivers onto something like a Flash drive and then you can drag & drop them back in after the repair install.

As it's an universal install disk, you may be asked which version you want to install - but that may just be if you were doing a clean install.

The product key can be confirmed in the free version of Speccy by clicking on Operating System after the Analyzing.

I can't remember if you need to look out for any bundled unwanted software with this download as they all seem to be doing it these days, so just look for any boxes to uncheck during the download/install.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

There are three drivers folders and they can be found in C:\Windows\System32

You may also want to back up any personal stuff, but this should repair the volume without affecting your personal files or installed programs, but I'd also recommend creating a system image as well as a system repair disk if you haven't done so already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html