Author Topic: Pile of Mum  (Read 7747 times)

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
Pile of Mum
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
Had a failed HDD in an ASUS G62Gx. Replaced drive and cloned it. Everything is working just fine except for win7 updates. Says the service is not running. Except it is lol.
Did a pre-scan with your repair tool. I expect you to fill your pants when you see the number haha. I hope you can provide a solution for me other than replacing the *.mum files. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
Re: Pile of Mum
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
I've been reading other threads on the forum and found some related posts. I ran this script to see if it would solve anything. I have a screen shot of the results.

Script run:
net stop cryptsvc
esentutl /p
%systemroot%\System32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catdb
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
del /f /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net start cryptsvc
pause

Attached is the results

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:28 AM »
I used a much simpler set of commands - see the second post in http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4412.0.html

If Julian's batch hasn't done it for you then check Event Viewer as I did, but if you are using Intel then download the Intel Chipset drivers which have been found to resolve.

Then run the Pre-Scan again to see if it has made any difference.
Tom.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
so two questions do you have an intel based processor? and after running that batch file have you rebooted and re did a prescan? i want to see if anything has changed :D
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Hmm try these commands that boggin used. Open a cmd prompt as admin and run each command one at a time.

net stop cryptsvc

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start cryptsvc

shutdown /r /t 00

After it reboots run the prescan see if they go away.
Julian

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply guys!

Yes it's an Intel Core 2 Duo P8700

Yes the CAPI2 has been coming a billion times lol. I didn't think it would throw so many errors in the event log haha. I have stopped the cryptsvc and had the cat2 rebuilt. But the pre-scan results haven't changed. Still 3560 lol. Or whatever the original number was. I didn't save the scan cause I presume its the same results considering the number is the same. If you want a fresh .txt log i can get one.

I have been having trouble locating the chipset drivers for this laptop. It's not listed on the ASUS website. I redid the nVidia drivers hoping the chipset might be in there. If you have a suggestion that would be great. It's an ASUS G72Gx.

I had a look at the dberr.txt inside the catroot2 folder and it looks like an error log for cat files. If just those were replace/repaired would that help?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
Intel has an auto detect and probably wouldn't install anything if it didn't match your system, but I've seen others direct download Nvidia graphics drivers and BSOD'd their machines because theirs had been OEM modified.

Intel also has an INF Update Utility but as the driver support site doesn't include any chipset drivers or links that would take you to Intel, I wouldn't advise you downloading that either.

ASUS tech support may give you some advice about the chipset drivers but I'm wondering if the clone you used on the new HDD may have been a little corrupt because of the failing older HDD.

You can open a ticket here https://customercare.intel.com/?lang=en-US

I wonder if a repair install would resolve this, but you would need a Win 7 x64 SP1 install disk and your COA sticker key which can sometimes fade so that it is no longer legible.
Tom.

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
Just an update. Been a while lol.

I wondered if it was the OS install as well. I backed up the drive (acronis) and did a repair install. Wouldn't take. So I did a clean install. Wiped drives, etc. Guess what. Installed the latest drivers from the ASUS site and windows updates are having the exact same problem. Interesting that would happen on a fresh install. Reloaded the OS again and installed driver by driver until windows update stopped working. It's the ATA drivers. Go figure. So going to try and figure that one out. Then probably restore the backup image and try the same driver solution and go from there.

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
good to know thank you for updating this and taking the time to go through this. this is actually very useful information to Shane and I. and I very much appreciate it. :D this can help us diagnose other computers and help with others having same issues.
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
im looking at the asus website for your laptop and on the other tab with the drivers it shows intel storage matrix have you tried that driver yet?
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
Go into Device Manager, expand IDE/ATA Controllers then right click on it and select Update driver, choose the online option and Windows may find a WHQL one for you or it may just tell you that you already have the most up to date.

I tried doing a Google search for my exact driver and all I got was 3rd party download sites - you may fair better.

Right click on the controller, select Properties and under the Details tab use the dropdown to select Hardware IDs.

Right click on the highlighted one and select Copy then paste into a Google search box.
Tom.

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
Yes the ISMS drivers are actually the culprit.

Went to Intels support website and used their Intel Driver Update Utility and it didn't find anything. Probably cause ASUS did OEM tweaks to the chipset and such. Which is what the utility said may happen. (such a smart device lol)

Just so you know where I am the AHCI ATA Standard Controller ID's are VEN: 8086 (intel) and DEV: 3A22. I use pcidatabase to find my stuffs. Which surprisingly gave me a direct URL to intel's download page for "ICH10R AHCI Driver for Microsoft Windows* (32 & 64 bit) " guess I'll find out what happens with that driver. Thanks for the suggestion Boggin. I forgot about trying this method.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
While I know pcidatabase will ID a driver from the VEN & DEV numbers, that's the first I've heard of it supplying an URL so that was a plus.
Tom.

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Afternoon. Just going to finish up and close this thread for you guys.

Both the ATA drivers and Intel Storage Matrix drivers caused the windows update errors. So the machine won't run with those drivers. Even on a fresh reinstall of windows those drivers wouldn't allow updates. So weird. Repair install failed at the VEEERY end. Something about windows7 can't run with this hardware, run this check something or other. Which I did and the tool said that all the hardware would work for win7.

Anyway. After using default ATA drivers I ran the windows pre-scan and none of the *.mum files had any errors. In fact, the tool wasn't working in safe mode either. Error was something about not loading an image. I forget the exact phrasing because it works now. The tool loaded in safe mode when it wouldn't prior to having the Storage Matrix driver installed.

So maybe for future people not having the repair tool open in safe mode because of an "image" error, may have them remove or roll back their matrix driver?

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
I'm gonna sticky this in my favs tab because I'm curious... I want shane to see this post.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 01:51:09 AM »
I'm gonna sticky this in my favs tab because I'm curious... I want shane to see this post.

I'd already emailed Shane with a link to this one as I also thought that it would be of interest to him.
Tom.

Offline umsldragon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
I can PM you my email if you need to contact me about anything. Its different than the one for this account.