Author Topic: Missing Network Protocal  (Read 9260 times)

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
Missing Network Protocal
« on: April 18, 2016, 12:02:54 pm »
This was working really good for me until the other computers on my network tried to access my computer.  They got a message that the computer was missing network protocols.  This could not be fixed by me - a lay person - without  reinstalling the Windows 10 operating system.  I would like to use it, but I'm concerned about having the problem return.  Any advice?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Network Protocal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:52:37 pm »
That error usually relates to the winsock.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netsh winsock reset

and for good measure -

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

exit

then reboot to see if connectivity has been regained.

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:21:27 am »
So, I can do those commands, but it is says I need to do them as an administrator, so I am the only person who uses this computer and I am the administrator.  Can you advise?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:37:35 am »

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 03:03:33 pm »
Resetting winsock and the other recommendations did not solve the problem.  Ultimately, I had to reinstall my operating system and programs to get back to work. And, get my two assistants connected to me so they could work.   Still, I would like to use tweaking.com.  I have it on a non-networked computer and its great.  I wondering if there is something in the way our IT guy set up the network.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:21:07 am »
It would have been helpful if you had posted that the winsock reset cmd didn't work as a sfc /scannow run from an elevated cmd prompt or what had been recorded in Event Viewer, may have helped with other suggestions that could have negated the need to reinstall and all that entailed.

The program needs to be run within Windows on the affected machine and not as a block repair for a number of machines.

Prior to running the main repairs, a registry back up is done which would be impossible if it had to encompass all of the machines on the network from a single installation of the program.

If the Pre-Scan in Option 2 picked up corrupt Package Files - how would you know which machine they related to.

To show your appreciation for the program, you could purchase one copy and install the free version onto the other machines - this is something I've done for my two laptops.

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:07:05 am »
I don't understand your reply. 

I did purchase Tweaking.com weeks ago, and I am a paid user.  I am not trying to run Tweaking.com on multiple computers, just my computer - in my office.  What happens when I run it on my computer is the other computers on my network report the missing protocols message when they attempt to connect to my computer which is something they have to do.  My computer runs perfectly and blazingly fast after tweaking, and it connects to everybody in the network.  Everybody in the network runs as usual and connects to everybody else in the network except for me. As I said, if they try to access me, they get the missing protocols message.

It's too late for me to post any history, but I would still like to be able to use Tweaking.com.  So, as a paid customer, I am asking if you can kindly provide assistance.  Please! And, . . .
Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 04:44:35 am »
It would seem that I didn't understand your post either.

Missing network protocols usually refers to the winsock which WR resets.

This may have been the cause of the other machines not being able to connect.

You haven't said why you needed to run the Windows Repair program, but prior to running the main repairs, the program auto backs up the registry and which you could have used the restore option of that.

Having this facility as a fall back should allay your fears of a repeat should you need to run the program again.

You also have the option to uncheck any repairs you don't want to effect prior to running them.

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:59:31 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I am more convinced that the problem lies in the network configuration we have in the office. 

This is because I took Tweaking.com home and ran it on one of my home computers and found no connectivity problems with any of the five we have in the house.  I am going to run it again and be sure to have a System Restore point.  Last time, I tried turning off all tweaks that seemed network related.  But, do you have any tweak in mind that should be turned off so as not to interfere with whatever network setup we have in the office?

I would appreciate that detail.  Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 10:22:10 am »
Repair #13 deals with Network which you can uncheck, but not sure about 15 which is for Proxies.

While WR auto creates a registry back up, you can click on the Backup tab to select Restore under the registry option and then use the dropdown to select the one you want as it will create a registry back up each time you go to the Repairs option.

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 05:23:15 am »
I ran Tweaking again with 13 and 15 unchecked  I did not run the advanced repairs.  I go this error message when I tried to connect.  0x80070035: Network path not found.

I did some research and the recommendations were to turn off the firewall and anti virus and to make sure TCP was enabled over BIOS which I did.   Still getting the message.  I am attached the diagnostic log and wondering if you have any further suggestions.  I really do appreciate your help.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 08:04:58 am »
What do your friends need to do to get you connected again ?

Open Network and Sharing Center - what is the SSID set as compared to the other machines when able and unable to connect - Home, Works or Public ?

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »
This is the current set-up -

I ran tweaking.com on two computers in my home.  Computer A connects to Computer B without doing anything.  Just click on Network in Windows Explorer and both computers are visible.  From Computer A, just click on the computer B and it opens up ready to accessed and shared.

On Computer B, go through the same process.  Click Network in Windows Explorer, Click Computer A and it says  0x80070035: Network path not found.

Unlike the Office where I was originally having the problem, these computer are connected wirelessly.  There is one SSID setting for everything.  I can see that by logging into my internet provider's website/account and viewing the router settings.  The security setting say WPA and WPA 2 Recommended.

I do not see how to access the SSID settings from Open Network Sharing Center.

Offline EIanetti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
Actually, I did find the SSID setting and in both cases they are identical.  I ran the diagnosis protocol on this page on the problem comouter and itsays Diagnostics Policy Service is not running.  I'll try to turn that on and see how it goes.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 04:30:09 pm »
This is what those services look like on my Win 7 laptop -