Author Topic: Repairing Pavilion dv6-1230us  (Read 18472 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing Pavilion dv6-1230us
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
A PuP is a Possibly unwanted Program.

These can cause mayhem with browsers.

The Slimdrivers driver updater program that the report has listed is this program - http://www.driverupdate.net/

If there's anything you don't understand, just ask - even Shane wasn't born with the knowledge he possesses :D

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 09:47:10 am »
*******UH OH ... Panic ....
Okay, this does not look good ... I have no access to Google Chrome at all now.

Double clicking the icon makes the screen go black then the screen comes up with the shortcut/favorites across the top, but the are inactive, they won't  open up.  Clicking on them just puts the web address on the line, like I just typed it and have yet to  hit enter.

I tried the link down in the bottom left (the globe), not the quick launch .. whatever - all I got was a white page / new tab with nothing else.

Then I tried All Programs (same place, the globe), there is a simple icon listing for GC,  still get the permission box, click OK, screen goes dark, comes up supersized, then this time it went away, no white screen with New Tab.

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 09:59:17 am »
AdwCleaner cleaned out aspects of Chrome which were probably corrupt because of the adware it found, so uninstalling and a reinstall may resolve that, but can you open Internet Explorer to see how that performs ?

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 10:12:36 am »
When I click IE, the window opens with googlechrome.com/ in the left tab and the big ole message in the middle of the screen, Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.   

I clicked the Diagnose Connection Problems and the Diagnostics box came up with "Windows cannot find "googlechrome.com" .... The option is to check the spelling or contact the network admin or ISP.  or cancel.

I have done nothing else. 

I would love to stay with this and fix it but my (disabled) husband is awake from a nap and I have to go there now.  I will check back in a couple of hours.  ~~ you may dedicate some time to yourself now if you like  ;)    ... stephanie

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 10:40:06 am »
Go into Programs and Features, right click on Google Chrome an select Uninstall - reboot then open All Control Panel Items and click on Internet Options.

Under the Advanced tab click on the Reset button - you can check all of the boxes.

Restart your computer then open Internet Explorer (IE).

It may default to MSN or Google.com for the Home page and you may also be prompted to make IE the default browser - which you can for now and use the (Recommended) setting.

Click on the Tools cog top right - click on Internet options and under the General tab, place the cursor to the right of what is showing as your home page and if it isn't www.google.com or www.google.co.uk then backspace and type in google.com or google.co.uk after the www.

google.com is for the US and google.co.uk is obviously for the UK.

Click on Apply - OK then restart IE.

If you still get the error that it can't display the webpage then close IE - go Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then in the command window type netsh winsock reset and press enter.

That should report that it has reset it successfully and that you need to restart to effect.

At the next cmd line type and enter shutdown /r /t 00 which will effect an immediate restart and then try IE again.

I'll be back later to see how you have got on.

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 04:34:18 pm »
:cheesy: YAYAYAYAY !!!  Thank you TWEAKING.COM!!  boggin, you are a genius.  Sure looks like Chrome is the problem, I'd never have believed it.  For now I have chosen MSN as our homepage ... I'm sick to death of worrying over this, so we'll iron out the rest over time.  Thank you again for your very valuable time and patience.  Thank you X100 !!! .
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »
That sounds like a result :D