Author Topic: Registry Backup v 1.3.0. Questions on it's features.  (Read 8870 times)

Offline streetwolf

• View Profile
Registry Backup v 1.3.0. Questions on it's features.
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
I've been a long time user of the fabulous Registry Backup program knows as ERUNT.  I'm sure you know about it.  Unfortunately it doesn't work under Windows 8 and hasn't even been updated in years although it worked up to Windows 7.  ERUNT had some features that I wish RB had and maybe it does but I'm not familiar with how to use them.  They concern scheduling of backups.

1. ERUNT had a command line form that after doing the first backup of the day it would not take anymore backups if Windows was restarted.  I haven't come across any option like this in RB.  Every restart of Windows kicks off another backup.  Since I restart my machine and Windows very often I don't need all these subsequent backups. A backup when I first start my computer under Windows 8 is all I need.  I usually keep them for 7 days in which the oldest backup will get deleted to make way for the new one.

2. ERUNT had a silent mode where the backup took place site unseen. No message boxes, no status bars, no anything.  I had the option of producing messages if I wanted to.  the only message I let be displayed is any type of backup failure.

Other than these two things, RB is a fine replacement for ERUNT.
Intel Core [email protected] | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K LCD | 4-512GB Samsung 970 PRO M.2 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 480GB  SanDisk USB Extreme900 | Windows 10 Pro | FIOS 1Gb

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup v 1.3.0. Questions on it's features.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »
1. ERUNT had a command line form that after doing the first backup of the day it would not take anymore backups if Windows was restarted.  I haven't come across any option like this in RB.  Every restart of Windows kicks off another backup.  Since I restart my machine and Windows very often I don't need all these subsequent backups. A backup when I first start my computer under Windows 8 is all I need.  I usually keep them for 7 days in which the oldest backup will get deleted to make way for the new one.

Thats not a bad option to add. A check box saying dont make more than 1 auto backup per day. I will see what I can do :-)

2. ERUNT had a silent mode where the backup took place site unseen. No message boxes, no status bars, no anything.  I had the option of producing messages if I wanted to.  the only message I let be displayed is any type of backup failure.

Right now the auto option just has it open, run then close. The person sees it. Unless you run it from the task scheduler under the system account. Under the system account the user sees nothing :wink:

Shane

Offline streetwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:18:49 am »
Thanks for the quick reply especially right after you mini vacation.  Hope you had a good time. 

ERUNT was a great little program.  It wouldn't be beneath anyone to 'borrow' some of it's functionality.  Since it hasn't been updated in years it seems the author has abandoned it.  He no longer replies to my emails.  I asked him about W8 support and all I heard back was a chorus of crickets.  :smiley:

I'm looking forward to the once a day backup option.  It really is a great option to add to RB.  Have you given any thought to having a command line version of RB similar to ERUNT?  You could still use your GUI to generate the command line options or like Erunt document them and have the user do the hard work of adding them manually to a shortcut.  Either way the result would be a shortcut that can be used in many ways.  With ERUNT I set up a shortcut to take a backup on demand as I called it, located wherever I told it to go.  I used this when I was about to do something to my system that might force me to restore my Registry.  All I needed to do was click on the shortcut and viola instant Reg backup.  No need to use a GUI to slow things up.

Great job on a fine program, Shane.  ERUNT has saved my 'life' many times over the years, I'm sure RB will do the same.
Intel Core [email protected] | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K LCD | 4-512GB Samsung 970 PRO M.2 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 480GB  SanDisk USB Extreme900 | Windows 10 Pro | FIOS 1Gb

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:30:05 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply especially right after you mini vacation.  Hope you had a good time. 

My kids had a good time. I am the one who had to setup the camp site and then take it back down again the next day lol.

Have you given any thought to having a command line version of RB similar to ERUNT?  You could still use your GUI to generate the command line options or like Erunt document them and have the user do the hard work of adding them manually to a shortcut.  Either way the result would be a shortcut that can be used in many ways.  With ERUNT I set up a shortcut to take a backup on demand as I called it, located wherever I told it to go.  I used this when I was about to do something to my system that might force me to restore my Registry.  All I needed to do was click on the shortcut and viola instant Reg backup.  No need to use a GUI to slow things up.

Right now it has the one command line. Showing the gui is important. Let me explain.

Erunt used the API to backup the reg. This could only backup load reg files and MS says that the VSS is the best way. By using the volume shadow copy service I can grab every reg file in every profile. And the VSS takes a few to load up. SO having the GUI so the person can see what it is doing and when it is done is important since it takes a min or so.

I also have the fallback option where if the VSS fails my program backs up the loaded reg files just like erunt, with the API.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help.html

I had been using erunt and decided I wanted to make something better and grow upon my old fav erunt. So you now have my program :-)

Shane

Offline streetwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 06:02:13 am »
I was wondering why you used VSS. You still plan on adding the once a day only backup thing I talked about?  If you do decide to add it and need a tester let me know and I'll be glad to give it a go.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:35:42 pm »
Yeah I am going to add that option, I like the idea of it :-)

VSS lets me get every reg file ont he system and the reg files as a whole without having to read them. MS says this is the best way to do it because of volatile regkeys.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms891450.aspx

All registry keys are created as volatile, and the information is stored in memory and is not preserved when the corresponding registry hive is unloaded. For HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, this occurs when the OS is shut down. The RegSaveKey function does not save volatile registry keys. This flag is ignored for keys that already exist.

Then the API call (What erunt uses and what my fallback uses)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724917%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

And right at the top

Applications that back up or restore system state including system files and registry hives should use the Volume Shadow Copy Service instead of the registry functions.

So I used both lol

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile