Author Topic: Inconsistent Start up and other problems  (Read 5983 times)

Offline MajorWheat

• View Profile
Inconsistent Start up and other problems
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:41:21 pm »
Firstly, I am on Windows 7 64-bit, on a tower I built myself a few months ago.

Alright on to whats going on, yesterday there was a quick power outage which caused my tower to shut off suddenly during a War Thunder match but after words it refused to start up properly even going as far as blue screening a couple of times, with the cause being inconsistent one time it might say IRQL not less than or equal and the next memory management. And for some reason when I tried to use start up repair it would stop detecting my keyboard and mouse. Eventually it seemed to work out the bug on its own and booted just fine but I discovered that now my windows firewall was disabled and wouldn't turn on giving an 0x8007042c error and that it wouldn't connect to networks properly and in the network and sharing center instead of the usual network map it said unknown and dependency group could not be started. So I spent a  few hours looking for fixes and eventually stumbled upon the windows repair tool, rebooted the computer into safe mode and went to run the repair tools... Which almost instantly bluescreened the computer citing a registry error and when it restarted it blue screened again giving a cache manager error, after that it still wouldn't start normally but only reset to a choice between starting normally or startup repair. Rebooting in safe mode worked but when I tried booting normally after that nearly got to the login screen but hung up on a black screen with a mouse pointer which after reseting that lead to a cache manager blue screen.

Sorry for the wall of text. The first attachment is the last minidump it gave me, and the second is an error that came up while it was sitting on a black screen right before it would normally allow you to log in.

Thanks for any help or even just a suggestion of which direction I should look in.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistent Start up and other problems
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »
Power outages can cause a variety of hardware problems.

First to check would be your RAM - I assume you have more than one stick installed ?

Try booting with just each stick to see if there's any improvement - you could also try the sticks in the other slots - say if you are using 1 & 3 then try 2 or 4.

In Safe Mode are you able to run a chkdsk /f to see what that reports.

With a desktop machine when it won't boot up you would generally remove the HDD and any peripherals such as the keyboard and mouse where you should at least get the splash screen then add one back at a time to see if it deteriorates.

Offline MajorWheat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:24:11 pm »
I left it unplugged for a few hours as I took it to a friends and it booted up normally no problem first try at his house. I'll run check disk and see what it it says and see if it gives any problems with subsequent boots. Windows Firewall is still disabled and the wireless dependency groups still aren't properly starting and refuse to be started by me, citing "Error 5: Access Is Denied"

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 01:33:26 am »
Leaving the machine switched off for a few hours is the equivalent of removing the power source and holding the power button in for about 30 sec and then pressing it again 3 - 5 times and is known as a cold boot.

This will drain the memory and capacitors and can sometimes work when a machine fails to reboot.

You can use this article to reinstate the Extensible Authorization Protocol, BFE and Windows Firewall -

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/236709-services-restore-default-services-windows-7-a.html

You can find the Native WiFi Filter, NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol and the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play drivers where they could have a yellow alert next to them.

Some of those you can right click on and select Uninstall then Action/Scan for hardware changes or reboot to reinstate them, but create a restore point first before trying this should they not auto reinstate.

You may have to start BFE and then Windows Firewall but if you still have this error -

Windows could not start Windows Firewall on local Computer. See event log, if non-windows services contact vendor. Error code 5.

Download and save to Desktop then launch this key, click YES

Shared Access http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/vista/SharedAccess.reg and give full control permission to this key by going Start - type regedit - press enter and navigate

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess

Right click on it and select Permissions

Click on Add and type

Everyone and select Full control

You should be able to start Windows Firewall now.

You may also be missing security center, Windows Defender, BITS and Windows Update services

You can get Windows Defender, BITS and the Windows Update service from the linked article, but download Security center -wscsvc from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/wscsvc.reg

Save this to the Desktop then launch it and click YES when you get an UAC prompt.

Offline MajorWheat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:15 pm »
I followed your instructions but for some reason the BFE was still refusing to start citing error five. Also in the device manager I looked at everything and the only thing that showed an error flag was Microsoft ISATAP driver number two. So I tried the windows repair utility again and it worked like a charm this time and everything is back to normal. The ISATAP driver still has a caution icon on it but the BFE and windows firewall are working properly now and so are my network connections

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:09:50 am »
That alert on the ISATAP may have been from when you were unable to connect as Windows will create another in an attempt to connect when it has problems - which is why you get incremented ISATAP adapters.

As long as you have the original, you can right click on the incremented one and select Uninstall.