Author Topic: what is man in th middle attack  (Read 8046 times)

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
what is man in th middle attack
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »

View Profile
 Email
 Personal Message (Online)

this could only happen to me! maybe i should just give up on computers!

o/s win 7 ult 32b

m/s sec ess

malwarebytes

ccleaner pro

malwbytes anti rootkit

r-kill

adware

tweaking tool pro

okay this just happened the other day. when i run malwarebytes, it goes to prescam mode, then starts over, and over and over. will not complete scan. when i try to scan a file with sec ess it says that scan cannot be run

and the best part is i got a phone call from an unknown number, but they knew my name and asked for me. when i refused to take the call, they hung up.

i googled the number and got several hits on a dial-up svc  the number is 1-712-380-1004.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i am afraid that someone is using my bandwidth

oh and btw the updated tweaking tool did download, and took my pro key!!  thank ya'll sooo much . i really hate to type and an not very good at reading instructions, then performing the actions that are suggested.

that is why i called m/s so that they could take over my p/c and i could watch...and learn of course.

believe it or not i am very capable with p/c repair, and am not afraid of regedit with instruction.

but i think that this has infitrated my network, and that is WAYYY beyond what i feel capable of doing.

after m/s worked on my desktop, all of my libraries were sent to an indian server. i just happened to find the site and got them recovered

docs, 1000's of pics, videos.  needless to say they are all on a thumbdrive now

so if ya'll are willing, i am here, for awhile until i have to feed horses.

jean

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: what is man in th middle attack
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 05:25:28 pm »
I've already answered in your other thread to run MBAM in Safe Mode to see if it finds any infections.

When you are sure your computer is clear of infection, create a system image onto external media as this is the only defence against Ransomware which is also a possibility, but to answer your question about a MITM attack, have a read through -

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/authentication_and_encryption/Understanding-Man-in-the-Middle-Attacks-ARP-Part1.html

BTW - What is m/s sec ess ?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:30:32 pm by Boggin »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 04:30:50 am »
BTW - What is m/s sec ess ?

I was wondering that too, my guess was Microsoft Security Essentials?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:33:16 am »
It's normally abbreviated to MSE but others may be used to referring to it in their own way.

I know Rick who complains regularly about Microsoft on the forum abbreviates them to MSFT whereas I'll just refer to them as MS - others I've seen use M$ which is probably a more accurate description of them :)

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:35:40 pm »
yes m$ security essentials

btw, i thought that i haf activated my pro version of tweak, but it didnt take. is my order id the first thing i type or my email?

i got the other 2 registration codes, but i dont think my order id is correct

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 01:41:24 am »
I can't remember now what I did after getting my licence key when I bought the Pro version.

How are you getting on with the MBAM scan ?

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
not very good. i ran an adware scan which did find some errors, but after i restarted ny usre profiles disappeared from my sign-on screen. i had 2 , so i ran the tweaking tool in safe mode ( it fixed the other pc ) but they are still gone. i can sign-on to one...it looks very generic, but i cant remember the password or the name to the other one. any suggestions on how to restore user profiles. i also ran a system restore and got an error message

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:57:57 am »
okay, it just happened again, everyday at @ the same time, i get a call from an "unknown number" when i answer they hang up. if i let my machine get the call,
 they hang up.  so i called the number back...latest number = 1-479-250-4000   when i call it back it goes to an old dial-up modem sound. when i googled one of the numbers it came up as a " cheap internet server "

any help with this will be greatly appreciated. i am getting VERY frustrated, and a little bit scared!!
jean

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:22 pm »
What did you use for the adware scan ?

Try your restore points in Safe Mode.

As for the phone calls, does your provider have a last number barring facility.

I was getting chewed with an automated call and my provider had a procedure I had to do which blocked those calls.

An alternative would be to ask your provider to change your phone number because of the nuisance calls.

In the UK you can also report nuisance calls.