Author Topic: Stuck at 'Main Form Initialize, Loading Controls... 5%  (Read 10671 times)

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
Stuck at 'Main Form Initialize, Loading Controls... 5%
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:49:08 am »
Hi
I have tried the portable and install versions of the repair utility but everytime I run the application, it checks the files which is fine but then it gets stuck on 'Stuck at 'Main Form Initialize, Loading Controls... 5%'
Has anyone had this issue or know of a solution?
Running on Win 10 64 bit, I have tried in normal mode and safe mode.
Thanks
Richard

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck at 'Main Form Initialize, Loading Controls... 5%
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:30:47 am »
Normally I would have suggested a reinstall but as it happens with both versions then perhaps Event Viewer may have something associated for the hang.

You could also open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and follow that with a sfc /scannow to see what they report.

What is your reason for running WR ?

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:33:43 pm »
Normally I would have suggested a reinstall but as it happens with both versions then perhaps Event Viewer may have something associated for the hang.

You could also open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and follow that with a sfc /scannow to see what they report.

What is your reason for running WR ?

I'll give that a try and let you know the results.

Reason for running WR is to fix a problem with no internet on a laptop. The BFE service wasnt running and neither was the Diagnostic policy service. I fixed these by changing the registry permissions but the windows firewall service still wont start.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:12 pm »
Can you go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers and check that the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver doesn't have a yellow alert next to it any other yellow alerts throughout Device Manager.

A work around to the Firewall not starting is to install a 3rd party antivirus program that has its own firewall which will auto disable the Windows one.

As you are unable to get online with this particular machine, if you have another (as you haven't said what you are using to post), you could select Save and transfer it across with an USB stick.

Panda Free is getting recommended more these days because it uses the cloud so it doesn't have a heavy footprint.

http://filehippo.com/download_panda_free_antivirus/

I assume you have scanned your computer for infections as they can disable firewalls.

The free version of MBAM is a robust scanner and is worth running a scan with that.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
Can you tell me which version of windows repair you are using?
Julian

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:45:57 pm »
Can you go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers and check that the Windows Firewall Authorization Driver doesn't have a yellow alert next to it any other yellow alerts throughout Device Manager.

A work around to the Firewall not starting is to install a 3rd party antivirus program that has its own firewall which will auto disable the Windows one.

As you are unable to get online with this particular machine, if you have another (as you haven't said what you are using to post), you could select Save and transfer it across with an USB stick.

Panda Free is getting recommended more these days because it uses the cloud so it doesn't have a heavy footprint.

http://filehippo.com/download_panda_free_antivirus/

I assume you have scanned your computer for infections as they can disable firewalls.

The free version of MBAM is a robust scanner and is worth running a scan with that.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

I tried installing panda but it needs online access to install even after downloading the installer on a diff pc, I'll try a diff firewall program too.

I've run scans of anti-rootkit, etc and they have cleaned but still no firewall service.

I was hoping that WR would replace the registry keys and permissions for me.

I cant see a Windows Firewall Authorization driver in device manager even with show hidden devices ticked. I can see two Base System Devices with an exclamation mark though, not sure what these are.

Thanks

Richard

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:46:45 pm »
Can you tell me which version of windows repair you are using?

I've tried 3.9.3 and 3.9.4, both with the same result.

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 01:40:03 am »
The Windows Firewall Authorization Driver should be the last item in Non-Plug and Play Drivers which is why you need to go View/Show hidden devices to view them.

If it's still missing then give this a try after creating a restore point - http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/mpsdrv/

Can you post a pic of those Base System Devices with the alerts ?

Quite often when something is missing in Device Manager, you can get listings for Unknown Driver which will go when the affected item's driver has been installed.

I don't have anything like that listed in my Win 7 but if you right click on them and select Properties then under the Details tab, use the dropdown to select Hardware Ids then right click on the highlighted driver - select Copy then Paste it into the Reply box.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:42:51 am by Boggin »

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 04:08:45 am »
The Windows Firewall Authorization Driver should be the last item in Non-Plug and Play Drivers which is why you need to go View/Show hidden devices to view them.

If it's still missing then give this a try after creating a restore point - http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/mpsdrv/

Can you post a pic of those Base System Devices with the alerts ?

Quite often when something is missing in Device Manager, you can get listings for Unknown Driver which will go when the affected item's driver has been installed.

I don't have anything like that listed in my Win 7 but if you right click on them and select Properties then under the Details tab, use the dropdown to select Hardware Ids then right click on the highlighted driver - select Copy then Paste it into the Reply box.
Thanks for the help so far, the chap who's laptop it is has just told me to pull off his documents and re-format and re-install the OS, so I am going to do that as I have spent too long on it already !

Kind regards

Richard

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 06:50:34 am »
One of my nieces has asked me to have a look at her laptop (this one) which is running Win 10 and it doesn't appear to have a Non-Plug and Play Drivers section in Device Manager - must be a Win 7 or lower thing.

Did you download that batch file to see if it helped with the firewall problem ?

Offline dickuk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:21 am »
One of my nieces has asked me to have a look at her laptop (this one) which is running Win 10 and it doesn't appear to have a Non-Plug and Play Drivers section in Device Manager - must be a Win 7 or lower thing.

Did you download that batch file to see if it helped with the firewall problem ?

Yes I tried the batch file but no luck :-(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 07:23:40 am »
Ah well - looks like you still have some work to do :)

Sorry I haven't been able to help.