Author Topic: Power failure during disk defrag  (Read 5746 times)

Offline Baturite

• View Profile
Power failure during disk defrag
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:03 am »
While performing a disk defrag on a portable samsung 2TB NTFS Hard disk, I was on a boat the power just went out. Frying the BIOS battery of the laptop and causing a great deal of files on the HD to just become invalid
out of the  1,81 total space the HD gives me, I can only see 838gb, so, given that I have 181gb of free space, it therefore means that 791gb worth of files have become invalid.
I can still see them, all the folders with those 791gb are still visible, but they no longer show the regular folder icon their size is 0kb and their type is now File instead of File Folder
My antivirus softare can still access each and every file inside those folders and a HD Tune software has found no erros whatsover
so, am I right to assume that if I just have it run another disk defrag will all my folder go back to normal (accessible)?

PLLLLEASSSSSEEEE HELP

Cheers

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Power failure during disk defrag
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:09 am »
I don't have any experience of this free program but I have seen it recommended on other forums and hopefully it will help you.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 10:20:46 am »
+1 For recuva, just be sure to recover any files to a different location/ drive in order to avoid overwriting anything that is still awaiting recovery  :wink: 

Offline Baturite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:33:53 pm »
nah, ,not really
Recuva found me all deleted files (pretty helpful though) but not the FOUND (CHK) folders..

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile