Author Topic: WR aio 3.9.4 - rebooting to Safe Mode displays a constricted view  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking on Samsung RV515 with Windows 7 Home Premium via button in WR AIO and then running WA AIO shows a constricted program window that doesn't easily allow clicking on the appropriate buttons - see attached screen print.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: WR aio 3.9.4 - rebooting to Safe Mode displays a constricted view
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:46:13 am »
That looks like a video driver issue. The program is specifically supposed to run the correct size in safe more, but I can see unusual spacing.  Do you know what driver version you are running?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:16:39 am »
Thanks for your input. I did think that I'd read a comment from Shane that the program was set up to produce a usable window size in Safe Mode.  I was using WR AIO to run some pre-repair checks on a friend's Samsung laptop and as everything seems to be running OK now I've passed it back. I'll get a look at the machine again in a few days and see if there's a video driver update for it, and install it if so - I'll report back then.
Iain

Offline Roger...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:09:53 pm »
NVidia driver v368.39.  This driver was originally installed June-6-2016, and it was the solution to the May driver release that installed a 16-bit driver.  May driver and the July driver package installed a 16-bit driver that generated an error message after the desktop appeared following a reboot from off. 

Faulty driver July package was automatically installed in July, but it was removed a few days ago so the current driver package could be rolled back to their previous driver.  This June driver seemed to work well, but I never tried Tweaking Pro with the June release prior to July package removal and reinstallation of the June release.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 01:25:48 am »
UPDATE, I recently installed version 3.9.5 on my own Lenovo G560 laptop which has onboard Intel (R) HD graphics, ran WR AIO, hit the reboot in Safe Mode button within the program, then ran WR after rebooting into Safe Mode and got the same distorted display I saw on my friend's machine . If I minimise the window and then restore the window by clicking on the minimised button, the program window displays correctly. If I close WR AIO and restart, the window is again constricted, while minimising and restoring displays it correctly! The error occurs whatever the display resolution in safe mode.

You may be able to see on the first constricted program window that there are is at least one, possibly two, unreadable message windows behind the program window. I believe one may display "An error occurred while trying to delete the specified data element" but no more was visible - I saw this partially hidden text once when I was trying to replicate the problem. Whether or not this is relevant, I don't know

No big deal, as I can now get the correct display with a couple of mouse clicks, but something odd seems to be going on.........
Iain

Offline Roger...

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 09:37:37 am »
A couple of days ago, my continuing failure with my network port issue forced a new installation of Windows 7 onto the computer using the latest release of Tweaking All In one.  Tweaking's latest version now shows a truncated main dialog in Safe Mode. 

With a fresh Windows 7 Pro installation, and NVidia’s June and later latest GTX display driver repair installed, the Safe Mode screen showed the same truncated main control screen.  However, when the process reaches the Fix-It phase, the All-in-One screen display is perfect.  Before the NVidia driver was installed, the Windows default driver from the fresh installation showed the same Safe Mode display issue.  NVidia’s repaired July update driver was working as expected, but it didn’t change the Safe Mode display problem.

This safe more All-in-One truncated display issue is new.  It hadn't happened with previous All-in-One versions.

A fresh install was needed because I couldn't keep the internet connection stable no matter how many times I tried to repair the installation.  All software, which wasn't many, that had been installed since the network port problem first appeared was removed.  New network drivers were installed many times.  Other motherboard drivers were installed many times.  Removing the NVidia process from the installation still showed the same network issues.  Running All-in-One many times didn't help the networking failure that would be fine for a while, but then it would disable the port.  Trying to enable the port again would lockup the computer.  Rebooting would get the port working again.  Downloading large data files would fail part way through forcing the downloads to a laptop and a USB transfer.