Author Topic: HD replacement  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
HD replacement
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:33:27 pm »
Hi everybody!

I must replace my laptop's hard drive because it is not possible to boot with it anymore.
So, I remembered an advice I got some time ago from Shane, I bought a Samsung SSD ( they are cheaper now). As I had a previous Macrium Reflect image from my C: partition, being this the first time this situation is happening to me, I replaced the hard drive, and tried to boot from the Macrium Linux CD; however  the new drive was not detected.
So, which is the best way to get this done?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: HD replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:09:56 am »
The new drive will not show up in the Macrium Reflect recovery environment explorer because it is not formatted or partitioned, however you should still be able to work through the recovery wizard to get your existing image onto your new drive. I have only used the Windows PE recovery, but I guess the linux version works in the same way.

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:31 am »
Thanks Samson for your reply.

Indeed I was afraid something could go wrong, and as so I didn't even plug the image USB in the computer; I was just trying to see if my new empty disk was noticed. After booting I waited for the wizard and as there was not any sign of the SSD I cancelled the operation.
So, do you mean that, going one step further, the drive would be detected and the operation would be allowed?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:49 pm »
Yup, exactly as you have said. I've only used the Win PE recovery media method, and that is how it worked for me (reinstalling an image to a new HDD, not an SSD though).

I'm still using Macrium Reflect v5, It works well enough for me, so I have n't updated to v6 yet.

Here is a guide for v5, probably very similar for v6 if you are using that. It is pretty comprehensive, covers most issues and includes video guides, good luck  :wink:

http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50079.aspx

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »
Can you access a partition editor and create an ntfs partition?
Julian

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:08:00 am »
Thanks Samson and Julian

Well, it worked, in spite of my Macrium being v4!
Going one step further, the wizard showed the new drive when he was asking to choose one to write the image on, and I got the job done!
Now, could you give me some advice?: my OS is Vista, I'm not intending to change to another Windows for now; as, how it's said, Vista is not prepared to use the trimming SSD function, what should I do to overcome this and get the best from my new drive?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:02:54 am »
Good job  :smiley:

You may want to take a look at Samsung SSD Magician.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_ssd_magician.html

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:48:20 pm »
Thank you Samson.
It seems that Magician does the trimming when I ask it to; and it can do it whenever the OS is idle.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:50:04 am »
Glad to hear you are sorted  :smiley:

Maybe time to update Macrium Reflect? Take a new image. If you are into speed, then Windows PE rescue media on a spare small USB flash drive boots a whole bunch quicker than the CD rescue media  :wink:  and it is easy to do using the Macrium Rescue media wizard.