Author Topic: Drive seen as RAW (SOLVED)  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Drive seen as RAW (SOLVED)
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
Hi All, last December one of my external USB hdds must have been affected when a power cut last year zapped my desktop computer. I bought a new one, W10, last month and today I decided to connect the external USB HDDs that had been connected to the zapped one and found that one of them had altered to a RAW state. I can see it in Disk Management but clicking on the icon in This PC results it saying the drive needs formatting to be able to use it. I don't want to do this as I need to access the data on it. I Googled to find an answer and came across a free version of EaseUS Data Recovery that apparently will process 2 GB of data. I think there must be about 1.5 GB or so on the drive and wonder if anyone has actually used the free version and found it to work. Your input will be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:58:58 pm by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Drive seen as RAW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:06 pm »
Hi, as1953,
                    Did you try check for errors in pen drive. If the format is corrupted, then it will try to fix things.
Once i had removed the pendrive without safe removal. Then it says it has to be formatted. I just tried check errors. It ran and fixed the error. The next time i could read the date inside.
                       If it could not be done, there is no otherway except formatting it. Any software has to access to see the files.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 02:13:14 am »
Hello jraju, this is a 2 TB external USB HDD that has been made RAW due to a power cut turning off the computer. The drive is seen in Disk Management as being healthy but in a RAW state. EaseUS have a program that they say can save the data and they do a free version that can save a maximum of 2 TB. I have a couple of empty drives that can accommodate the files if the program works. I was just wondering if anyone has used the program successfully.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »
Hi, It is not the size. If the format is corrupted in any file in the pendrive you will be shown as RAW format.
So, what is wrong if you check for errors option. It has done good for me when the same thing happened to me.
                       Otherwise, i do not think any other help would mess up the things. Ease recovery are programs for different purpose.
                          That is what i think so,
                            Did you try, the check errors . I had a 8gb pendrive, having so much video audio application. Sudden powercut, though having ups, closed the computer abruptly. The error could not be located in the whole pendrive.
                              i was also alerted , that i must do the error checking. After checking, a success message popped up and my files are restored.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Drive seen as RAW (SOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:00:22 pm »
Done it.