Author Topic: Windows Update problems especially with Taskbar  (Read 12836 times)

Offline pandy

• View Profile
Windows Update problems especially with Taskbar
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
Ever since the last windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago, I have several problems. I ran your windows repair twice but it didn't fix the problems. What happens, anything that is in the taskbar, such as open webpages or files that I'm working on, will not come back up. When I click on them, they flicker. After a few minutes it stops but comes back. Another problem is the back arrows on all browsers doesn't work. There are a few other annoying things. I tried restore points, didn't help. Microsoft told me to reinstall windows 10, didn't help. Nothing has worked.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update problems especially with Taskbar
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:09:45 pm »
Does this still happen in a clean boot or in Safe Mode with Networking ?

You will need to use an Ethernet connection for Internet connectivity in Safe Mode with Networking as wireless doesn't work.

For the clean boot, right click on the Task Bar or Start and select Task Manager and disable all items under the Startup tab.

To do the same with non-MS services you will need to go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Services tab check the box to Hide all MS services - and this is a must before hitting the Disable all button - Apply - OK - Restart.

To revert to a normal start up with Services, go back into msconfig and under the General tab check the radio button for Normal startup - Apply - OK - Restart.

How many browsers are you using ?

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »
I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a try, thanks. I have used Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, and E. They all have the same issues. Another thing that happens, when I download, it won't always let me download the file where I want to, and where I usually downloaded. I have to either put it on the desktop or to downloads. It also affected attachments to emails. If I attach a file from the desktop and click Save, nothing happens. I have to double click on the file and then it pops into the email. Strange.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »
When I downloaded the Win 10 ISO to create the bootable disk, I found it had downloaded it to my Documents folder even though the downloads are set to go into my Downloads folder.

As a repair install hasn't fixed things, I'm not sure the following commands run from a Command prompt (Admin) will do anything, but if nothing changes either in a clean boot or Safe Mode with Networking, then give these a try -

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

This one will tell you if the volume is repairable.

If it says it is then enter these -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This one appears to hang at 20% but will complete.

Follow that with sfc /scannow to see if any corruption is reported.

Enter exit to close the cmd window and restart, or enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate restart.

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:36 pm »
I tried sfc /scannow and that didn't work. When I type in the dism checkhealth you suggested it didn't recognize it. I typed it in command prompt as administer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:59:51 pm »
Copy & paste it to the Command Prompt (Admin) as you may have made a typo.

For clarification, there is a space before each forward slash.

What did the sfc /scannow report ?

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 04:19:26 am »
scan now showed no errors

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:22:07 am »
the checkhealth said no component store corruption detected

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:27 am »
I'm not sure what else to suggest for this - occasionally when I have multiple tabs open, normally they would pop up for me to select just by hovering over the task bar, but there are times when I have to click on the task bar to bring them up.

This has only happened since upgrading to Win 10.

There's a program I've occasionally used to fix browsers and that is Anvi Browser Repair Tool which may fix the back arrow problem, but click on the icon in the left pane to edit what you want it to repair for each browser.

There's also another program I've used and that is Avast Browser Cleanup - but not so far on Win 10.

Having the same problem on all browsers would suggest it is more to do with Win 10 rather than the browsers, but you could give them a try if resetting the browsers to default doesn't resolve.

On checking, the Anvi Browser Repair Tool says it only does up to Win 8 so may not work in Win 10 but I've included the link.

http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/browser-cleanup

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:19:35 am »
I just tried scannow again and this time it said that windows resource protection found corrupt files and fixed them. We'll see what happens. I also ran the browser repair. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:07 am »
Wonder why the sfc came back clean the first time ???

Don't forget to give us an update.

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:44:48 am »
I will.

Offline CKing123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »

Hi

Since SFC reported corrupt files, I suggest that you run it again and attach the CBS log (CBS log is extremely volatile, and the contents of SFC scan by now will already be gone:

SFC Scan
1. Right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
2. When command prompt opens, Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Right-click > Paste) the following command into it, then press Enter
Code: [Select]
sfc /scannow3. Once it finishes, copy and paste the following into the command-prompt window and press Enter.
Code: [Select]
copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"4. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Right-click on this file and choose Send To...Compressed (zipped folder). Please upload this zipped file CBS.zip to this thread
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

-CKing

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 03:47:57 am »
Thanks for the help. I'm still having the same problems, taskbar and back arrows on browsers not functioning properly, and some other things. Here is the zip file, attached.

Offline CKing123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 07:00:56 am »
I looked at your logs, and all I see is the Powershell shortcut being repaired from time to time.
What happens, anything that is in the taskbar, such as open webpages or files that I'm working on, will not come back up. When I click on them, they flicker
So, does the taskbar disappear, or the icons on the taskbar? And when it happens again, can you press print screen and unless you have open documents or something that has personal information, attach the screenshot

-CKing

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:06:17 am »
No, the taskbar doesn't disappear. What happens, if I'm using more than one document or file, and several webpages, when I go to bring them back up from the taskbar they just flash and won't open. It's odd because it comes and goes. It was doing it this morning for a while and then stopped. Very odd. This morning for instance I had two word pages open and when I tried to switch from one to the other they wouldn't come up from the taskbar. I went downstairs to have breakfast, came back up and they were working. It's been like that for a few weeks, started immediately after the last windows update. And the back arrows on all browsers don't work, but it's the same thing, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It's also changed the way I download. Sometimes it won't let me download to desktop, for instance, but that's all inconsistent.

Offline CKing123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 07:08:07 am »
started immediately after the last windows update
So, a bug in the update. Uninstall the last cumulative update, and hide it using this tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/3073930

-CKing

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 03:40:12 am »
I uninstalled the last windows update, that didn't fix the problems. I searched and people said to type this in powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

and then delete the TileDataLayer folder but it won't let me delete the folder.

Funny, I've restored to an earlier point reinstalled windows, delete the update, nothing worked. Taskbar functions correctly for a while and then it won't let me open any webpage or file that's open, and same with back arrow on browsers, works for a while and then stops working.

Offline pandy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »

One of the Google searches I did worked, fixed the Taskbar problem I was having, which was that I couldn't upon up any files or webpages from the taskbar. I copied and pasted the instructions I followed below. Basically deleted the TileDataLayer folder, which I tried deleting from c drive but it wouldn't delete, using these instructions, it worked. Now I just have to get the back arrow working again on the browsers.

1. Go to Cortana / Search - enter PowerShell in the search box:
2. Then right click on Power Shell and press "Run as administrator":
4. Open the next folder:
C:/Users/YOURusername/AppData/Local/

5. Press [Windows Key] + R, (Run Command), type services.msc and hit ENTER:
Search for tiledatamodelsvc (Tile Data model server) , right-click and click [Stop].
Now you should delete the TileDataLayer folder entirely.
If you can't delete the folder at once: Press again [Stop] again and again. Until you will completely delete this folder TileDataLayer.
Restart your PC.