Author Topic: takes all night to apply fixes  (Read 46908 times)

Offline qaz

• View Profile
Re: takes all night to apply fixes
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 06:19:06 am »
not sure if we are meaning the same thing when u say "repair install" .

I mean: "do u think the AOMEI system backup [or a mirror image] could be put onto the partition to replace the new installation, thus giving me a c drive again and my old os intact" . Certainly the mirror image is not "just repairs the OS in situ"

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 06:29:06 am »
A repair install is where you boot up Windows then insert the install disk and click on Install now or hit the setup.exe.

This overwrites the existing OS where it's at without affecting your personal stuff.

If the image was taken after you changed the drive letters, then no, you would end up with exactly the same.

The mirror is exactly as it was when you created it.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 08:44:53 am »
ahhh, well that sorts that then, have learned a bit, thanks. Ill try the repair install as u gave a link for just in case, then prepare to format disc etc

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 08:56:10 am »
Good luck then.

The article suggests that you back up your Drivers folders which you can find at C:\Windows\System32 and there should be three of them which you can drag & drop into an USB stick and then put them back afterwards.

Were those bcdedit commands in that article no good then ?

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:24 am »
the bcdedit commands looked a bit out of my depth and it seemed doubtful as to whether it would work . Good to know where the drivers are i was wondering

i said a few posts back that i couldn't get on with installation disc , then i thought it was just me. Now it seems to be the damn disc as i cant get to the repair options in setup . Ive been there before twice 2 days ago . MS article said its after the set time/date /country screen , but its not [anymore] 

any ideas as i'll need this onew day for sure
thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »
What exactly are you trying to do with the install disk ?

If your install disk doesn't include SP1 and you are unable to uninstall SP1 then you can't use that disk for a repair install - you can only use it for a clean install.

If you can wait a few days for the Postal Service, I can burn you a couple of Win 7 SP1 universal install disks so you'll have one spare.

These were the Pro version but by removing the eicfg file, they will now cover from Starter to Ultimate.

I assume you are using x64 bit ?

Just PM me your address.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 12:19:02 am »
I'd forgotten that if you have a valid retail key for your Ultimate then you may be able to download an ISO which may include SP1 from -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Select Save and then you can use this Windows Burner Tool to create the bootable media of your choice, but if you opt for creating a bootable USB, ensure your machine can boot from USB before the HDD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I can still send you a couple of Win 7 install disks if you want them.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 12:47:10 am »
just wrote a long post but it got lost before i could send it

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 01:00:14 am »
just saw ur latest post , unfortunately i wont be able to get that from MS, but useful to know

cant believe i lost that long msg before posting it, am very slow typer...here goes again.

was trying to do a repair install [last resort], saw what i thought was the option when i did that startup repair the other day , but maybe it was not there after all,  and i don't have sp1. Anyway right now i cant even get back to that screen for the startup repair.

thats very kind of u the offer the discs, they should be a great help. Yes 64 bit

if its useful to anyone: now Ive done another chkdsc/r the windows tweaking repairs run quickly [all night last time] and actually made some changes

thanks

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:41 am »
just saw ur latest post , unfortunately i wont be able to get that from MS, but useful to know

cant believe i lost that long msg before posting it, am very slow typer...here goes again.

was trying to do a repair install [last resort], saw what i thought was the option when i did that startup repair the other day , but maybe it was not there after all and i don't have sp1. Anyway, right now i cant even get back to that screen for the startup repair. [in case i need it in future]

thats very kind of u the offer the discs, they should be a great help. Yes 64 bit

if its useful to anyone: now Ive done another chkdsc/r the windows tweaking repairs run quickly [all night last time] and actually made some changes

thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 01:13:22 am »
To do a repair install you must first boot up Windows then insert the disk and then click on Install now or the Setup.exe in the Autoplay window.

When you boot up with an install disk, to navigate to the Recovery Environment where you will see Startup repair etc. you must click on Repair your Computer - otherwise you click on Install now for the clean install where you select Custom install.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 01:39:00 am »
ah ha...thats what i forgot doing , booting up first. no wonder i couldn't get there again

thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 01:54:40 am »
It does help :)

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 02:26:03 am »
running a thorough defrag right now . Will post results of repair install shortly

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 03:53:25 am »
followed these steps:
with windows running, put in disc, copying temp files, in my computer i click on dvd drive,where to install windows screen appears, i click system partition , installing windows is started [3 stages]

no repair options
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:25:10 am by qaz »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:48 am »
With a repair install you don't get any repair steps, not like the options you get in the Recovery Environment, it just installs over the top of the existing install.

It's called a repair install because that's all it does whereas a clean install wipes everything off, including your programs and personal stuff and installs the OS from scratch.

Do you have a valid retail product key for your Ultimate ?

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 09:05:06 am »
sorry i wasn't clear . I only mentioned steps in order to describe the screen  [it's the installing Windows screen] the one i do not want to see

i never got a retail product key when i brought the old machine

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 09:16:30 am »
Did the machine come with Ultimate installed ?

Without the product key you won't be able to do a repair or clean install.

Is there a COA sticker on the machine which has a 5x5 alphanumeric key printed on it ?

Download Belarc Advisor and that will give you a product key.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Post the full make & model of your computer and I'll see if I can find the specs for it to see what it originally came installed with.

Where did you buy the machine from ?

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:18 am »
yes it with ultimate

got key now from belarc Product key removed by Moderator for security reasons

i don't think model with help much as its an old machine purchased from some bloke :) [acer aspire]. well out of warranty. Another hard drive was fitted and several OS's apparently
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:44:34 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
That's good news, so should apply to the current OS.

When you are prompted for the key, enter it in blocks of 5 - you could also try entering that key into https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 to see if it's accepted and allows you to download the ISO.

Go back to my Reply #31 for how I said to download it and to use the Windows program from the link I've posted to create your bootable media.

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2016, 11:47:38 am »
i never am asked for a key.

at the link i got: Your license key must contain 25 letters and numbers and no special characters: ()[].-#*/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2016, 03:21:58 pm »
Lower down the page is a box for you to enter the product key and then you click on Verify.

I can't tell you what happens after that when it does accept the key, because I don't have a valid retail key and it doesn't accept an OEM sticker or vendor's generic key that you would get on an OEM pre-installed machine.

If you got the disk with the machine, I'm surprised you didn't get the product key also.

Offline CKing123

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2016, 06:53:57 pm »
Unfortunately OEM keys do not work.

Microsoft makes the Windows 7 SP1 ISO available for direct download through their site. The only catch is that you’ll need a valid product key in order to download the file–and OEM keys (like the one that came on a sticker under your laptop) won’t work.
Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

There is...another way to get the Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-official-windows-iso-files-free-microsoft/

Not sure if it is legal or not

-CKing

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 01:07:20 am »
Lower down the page is a box for you to enter the product key and then you click on Verify.

I can't tell you what happens after that when it does accept the key, because I don't have a valid retail key and it doesn't accept an OEM sticker or vendor's generic key that you would get on an OEM pre-installed machine.

If you got the disk with the machine, I'm surprised you didn't get the product key also.

yes, when i pressed verify i got : Your license key must contain 25 letters and numbers and no special characters: ()[].-#*/.

so its not accepted. but thanks for thinking of that

i agree The disc should have a key

Offline qaz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 01:27:09 am »
Unfortunately OEM keys do not work.

Microsoft makes the Windows 7 SP1 ISO available for direct download through their site. The only catch is that you’ll need a valid product key in order to download the file–and OEM keys (like the one that came on a sticker under your laptop) won’t work.
Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

There is...another way to get the Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-official-windows-iso-files-free-microsoft/

Not sure if it is legal or not

-CKing
cKing

thats very interesting, had no idea about it. had a look but cant find what the "cheat" is, [the bit i would be doing to cheat or avoid the official route] . Ive got a disc coming in the mail should rectify matters

i followed the wrong link, i see the "cheat" now. I thinks its ust a loop hole

thanks
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:14:33 am by qaz »