Author Topic: W 10_Device Manager shows issue with "Coprocessor" Hardware Identify  (Read 7539 times)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
W 10, smooth upgrade from W 7. well almost. Device Manager shows issue as Other Device with "Coprocessor". Ran Tweaking Hardware Identify and see its flagged as
NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller,NVIDIA,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0753&CC_0B4000. So right click & get the driver, ran it, briefly got a Nvidia Image then no change, same with the 2nd detect: NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller,NVIDIA,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0753&CC_0B40, reboot and issue still there.
MB is GF8100VM-M5 with an AMD Radeon HD 4800 graphic card. i tried reinstalling the chipset driver that came with the  GF8100VM-M5, nada.
The pc is stable and fast & the Nvidia Nforce Networking controller is ok. So no symptoms but I'm curious. (Bios set to "Initial Display PCI)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:14:15 am by mrwoof »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: W 10_Device Manager shows issue with "Coprocessor" Hardware Identify
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:30 am »
I wouldn't have thought that an AMD GPU would have a Nvidia Controller.

Windows may have installed it in error during the upgrade.

Click on the Start button - Settings - Update & Security - Windows update - Advanced options - View your update history.

Did you create a full system image before upgrading from Win 7 or you can use the revert option if you haven't removed Windows.old.

I would advise creating a full system image of what you have now - on different media if using an external HDD then do the upgrade again.

While the free upgrade to the general public has expired, MS have extended the upgrade for those using Assistive Technologies - whatever they are and as long as you say you are, you can use the Upgrade now button to do a fresh upgrade.

MS don't check to see if you are, but I suspect this could be a ruse to get more people onto Win 10 who may have missed the deadline - could be wrong though as I'm sure MS aren't as devious as that :)

You can read the full article at http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/29/you-can-still-grab-a-free-windows-10-upgrade-after-july-29-2016/

Clicking on launched hyperlink in the article will get you the upgrade now page - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

If you Upgrade now over the existing Win 10 install, you will not be able to use Win 10's revert to the previous OS.

Not sure how you upgraded but if you used https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 I think you can still use the MCT to create a Win 10 bootable USB or disk - not sure if the Upgrade now will still work on that page though.

MS have said they will update the MCT after the 2nd Aug. update so newer bootable media can be created.

I used https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool to create a bootable disk, but this program also gives you the choice of disk or USB

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:27:57 am by Boggin »

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 07:34:36 am »
Thanks for the prompt reply. I suspect the coprocessor relates to the disabled Nvidia on board graphics. However, I'l wait till the 2nd Aug update and see what its payload is before I decide my next move. Still dont understand the function of a coprocessor !

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:51:48 am »
If Windows has sensed something on your computer and that something is missing, it will usually give you the bits through Windows Update.

Google seems to be a bit topsy-turvy as to why you should have a Nvidia Coprocessor with AMD graphics - unless I'm not asking the right question :)

I think it would be prudent to create a full system image before the 2nd Aug. update given MS's performance with Windows updates, even though this one is supposed to be the daddy of them all for the final release.

To do that in Win 10 - right click on Start - Control Panel - System and Security/Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and you will see the familiar Create a system image.

Another method is to go All Control Panel Items - File History and in the lower left corner click on System Image Backup which will give you the same page.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 08:50:43 am »
http://www.techspot.com/news/65766-microsoft-make-cortana-mandatory-anniversary-update.html
So users must now agree to give cortana unmitigated access to their PC if they want to use basic functions like search?
hmmm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:58:52 am by mrwoof »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:35 am »
At the moment like you, I'm Cortana.. is where you would type whichever program you want to open, but you can do that by clicking on All apps and scrolling down to whatever and click on it.

I have Google as my default search provider but have used Bing in the past and there was little difference.

If I have any problems after the update, I'll have another read of the article you have linked - I have seen it on another forum - but can't remember which one :)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:46:11 am »
off topic I know though Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a tool that will attempt to curtail Windows 10 from sending data back to Microsoft. Created by the developers of Spybot Search and Destroy.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:57:06 am »
There are also quite a few others - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+i+stop+win+10%27s+spying