Author Topic: Several Very Frustrating Vista Problems. Are there Any Tools still available ?  (Read 17616 times)

Offline VacationDreamer

• View Profile
Because this is Vista Microsoft No longer offers many of their fixit tools.  And many of Microsoft's new tools will not work with Vista such as diagcab, dism, etc.

I have tried several suggestions both in normal and safe mode with no positive results.

Unfortunately for me this is a HP laptop, so I cannot run an InPlace Upgrade without a CD and all HP programs show that everything is okay.

Problem 1)  might solve a few problems such as a few times on a reboot  from safe mode it will hang or restart.
The problem is SFC hangs with the message  "There is a System Repair Pending, which requires a restart to complete.

Read and tried several suggestions.  This is my daughters laptop and I do not want to make things worse by deleting the wrong file.

2)   No Restore Points and cannot create a restore point.  Error 0x8000FFF      Again wondered if SFC might solve this ?

3)   Windows Vista Update is Very Frustrating and Questionable.  I have seen XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10 and that is probably why Vista's Windows Update is so aggravating !

Almost every time I try Vista update it will show download available but program in use.  Reboot necessary.  Over 3 weeks I have only seen a Windows defender update listed in Update History.  But have seen files in Update History.   
I have run the Tweaking Tool several times so it might have erased previous history.

Vista does not show what files need to be downloaded.   And it does not show what files are recommended to download.
I uninstalled Microsoft Search.  I have NO option to choose it , or other downloads that might be offered.

In my search, I read where there was an alternate for Vista Windows Update that would allow selection of downloads.  But I cannot find where I saw this.  Wanted to try it ?

Thank You for your Suggestions and Help !
UncleDoug

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hmmm shoot I know for a fact this command works in 7 im not sure about vista but it should not hurt to try. dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
Let me know.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hmmm shoot I know for a fact this command works in 7 im not sure about vista but it should not hurt to try. dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
Let me know.

MS Fixits for Win 7 are also getting rare.

In Win 7 that command needs to be run from the Recovery Environment's Command Prompt.

Not having experienced Vista, I don't know if you have the Repair your Computer option in the advanced boot options.

These are usually accessed by tapping F8 as you switch on, but that key can vary with make of computer - however, booting up with a system repair disk will also get you there.

If that cmd doesn't work in Vista then try a cold boot by shutting down, remove all power sources then hold the power button in for approx. 30 secs and then try the sfc /scannow.

An alternative would be a chkdsk /f

One program that has proven successful in resolving Windows Update problems is WSUS Offline Update - it solved them for me in Win 7.

For Vista click on Legacy Products - I didn't create a separate folder and just clicked on Client as the tutorial says to.

It found and downloaded 142 system ones for me after a factory reset and after they had installed, Windows Update then had the remainder of 251 auto presented for download.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- I know that Vista has the same "Windows Update" problem as Windows 7. That's why you should read this thread as well. It applies to Win 7, but it could be helpful for Vista as well. (skip step 2 & step 3 and perhaps even step 1 ?????). I am NOT familiar with Vista. A matter of "trial and error".

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

- Do you still have a folder called "C:\Swsetup" ?? If yes, then copy that entire folder to (e.g.) a USB stick or any other backup device. It contains all the system drivers for your HP system. Then you can do a fresh re-install of Vista and install the system drivers afterwards.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
See opening post - no Vista CD to do fresh install.

Offline VacationDreamer

• View Profile
Rick

FixWin did solve one of the known problems but not the known major ones.  The problem it did correct was the recycle bin refresh.

I was hoping that someone would have a tool or tweak that could repair SFC.    It is one of the 2 primary tools that Microsoft tells you to use.  Even Tweaking Windows Repair suggests you use both tools before running it.  The same for FixWin.
Most tools I suggested for this and the other problems, are for Windows7 and newer.   I looked for reg keys to delete and did not find them.

Turn Windows Features On or Off is blank (No Features listed)

System Restore will not run   Catastrophic Failure   ( 0x8000FFF )

With minimum support from Microsoft for Vista it is really hard to tell if it is working.  Running one of the tools wipes out download history and I need to check Install history.

I see NO Options to choose from and each time I try and am literally downloading Blind not knowing what I might get.   So far it only has been Windows defender updates.    On one site a poster said he had an alternative to Windows update.   Searched so many sites for each problem do not want to even try and search again.

Hoping a tweak might be in the future for SFC.

UncleDoug

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Boot up into the advanced boot options by tapping F8 (usually depending upon make of computer) as you switch on and select Repair your Computer.

Make a note of where it locates the OS to repair as it doesn't always see it as C:

Use the dropdown to change/confirm keyboard/currency and select Command Prompt then enter the command as Julian has advised, but using the location letter if different than C:

dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

exit

Then Restart and try the sfc /scannow again in normal mode

Offline VacationDreamer

• View Profile
Boggin thanks for trying

As I said dism does not work with Vista !

The command prompt shows Administrator X:  so I presumed the directory was X.   When I ran the command I get the message
"dism is not recognized as an internal or external command."

In checking technet only windows 8 and 8.1 were supported.  Vista is NOT.
The recommendation from technet was to try earlier versions of ADK  OPK or AIK     Which makes me even more confused ?  ADK again does not work with Vista.  And the other 2 deal with installations and not sure how either would work with my problem ??

I only have 16 gig remaining, I think ADK was 10 gig.

Continued help is appreciated.

UncleDoug

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dism doesn't always work in Win 7 either.

The cmd prompt in the Recovery Environment is a x: prompt and when you make a typo in a cmd it can return as not a recognisable cmd.

However, it would seem that dism doesn't work in Vista so navigate C:\Windows\winsxs and look for pending.xml which you can right click on and select Delete.

Reboot and try the sfc /scannow again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I forgot to add this - you can free up a few GB by turning Hibernate off.

Run a command prompt as an admin and enter powercfg -h off

To turn it back on, just repeat the cmd changing off to on

Offline VacationDreamer

• View Profile
Boggin

Searched and could not find  pending.xml  in Windows/WinSxS

Will take me longer to reply and try.

Because of my limited budget I am forced to eliminate Charter Cable.   With tax has gone up to almost $60 a month for someone who is on limited social security.

I will try and keep updated by visiting the library more often.  Glad this is not a desktop.

Thank you
UncleDoug

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear about your new circumstances.

That's the only alternative that I know about to resolving the pending problem but see if a chkdsk c: /f run from the x command prompt in the Recovery Environment will unstick anything.

At the x prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" then using whichever partition letter, enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter.

That is a Pipe symbol before find and is the upper case of \
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:55:34 pm by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'd forgotten that I had the manual steps to that revertpendingactions cmd in my "toolbox".

Boot up into the advanced boot options and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt then enter these commands -

c:

fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%

Enter exit to close the cmd window then Restart and retry a sfc /scannow

If you still get the error, create a restore point as the next steps involve making changes to the registry, then go back into the Recovery Environment/Command Prompt and enter -

c:

cd C:\windows\winsxs

ren pending.xml pending.old

(While you couldn't find this file, let us know if this command completes okay or if you get any error messages).

regedit

Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - click on File - Load Hive

When that opens browse to C:\windows\system32

Locate the following folder - C:\windows\system32\config\components and click on to select.

When you are prompted for a name, type offline_components

You will now see the key offline_components - expand the + then locate and delete the following subkeys -

HKLM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallerNeedResolving

HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier

Go back to the key Offline_Components - highlight it then go to File menu and select Unload Hive

Close up the registry sections and reboot.

Run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter -

net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%

ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

That ren cmd will remove your Windows Update history but that will soon repopulate with subsequent updates.

As you will be probably be doing these steps from home, copy & paste this reply into a Notepad or Wordpad doc and then you'll be able to refer to them without having to go back on line at the library.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Rick

FixWin did solve one of the known problems but not the known major ones.  The problem it did correct was the recycle bin refresh.

I was hoping that someone would have a tool or tweak that could repair SFC.    It is one of the 2 primary tools that Microsoft tells you to use.  Even Tweaking Windows Repair suggests you use both tools before running it.  The same for FixWin.
Most tools I suggested for this and the other problems, are for Windows7 and newer.   I looked for reg keys to delete and did not find them.

Turn Windows Features On or Off is blank (No Features listed)

System Restore will not run   Catastrophic Failure   ( 0x8000FFF )

With minimum support from Microsoft for Vista it is really hard to tell if it is working.  Running one of the tools wipes out download history and I need to check Install history.

I see NO Options to choose from and each time I try and am literally downloading Blind not knowing what I might get.   So far it only has been Windows defender updates.    On one site a poster said he had an alternative to Windows update.   Searched so many sites for each problem do not want to even try and search again.

Hoping a tweak might be in the future for SFC.

UncleDoug

Please download install and try 360totalsecurity; it has several features to resolve these issues.
I think this program also has a feature to clean up all pending installs too. at this point, deleting all the old stuff seems or appears to have no harm. additionally, you could consider another program I found that checks your system online, but their is a small fee associated with it. Boggin might remember the link from the other thread I started a while ago...

At some point, SFC will stop working correctly for all older versions of MSFT systems to push us too new systems we dont need;

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Let me know.

MS Fixits for Win 7 are also getting rare.

In Win 7 that command needs to be run from the Recovery Environment's Command Prompt.

Not having experienced Vista, I don't know if you have the Repair your Computer option in the advanced boot options.

These are usually accessed by tapping F8 as you switch on, but that key can vary with make of computer - however, booting up with a system repair disk will also get you there.

If that cmd doesn't work in Vista then try a cold boot by shutting down, remove all power sources then hold the power button in for approx. 30 secs and then try the sfc /scannow.

An alternative would be a chkdsk /f

One program that has proven successful in resolving Windows Update problems is WSUS Offline Update - it solved them for me in Win 7.

For Vista click on Legacy Products - I didn't create a separate folder and just clicked on Client as the tutorial says to.

It found and downloaded 142 system ones for me after a factory reset and after they had installed, Windows Update then had the remainder of 251 auto presented for download.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Boggin; I would have a try if I knew they deleted all the win10 spyware updates, I would not till we know...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No, I don't remember the thread - but let's wait and see if my suggestions do the job rather than downloading some 3rd party program.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
I'd forgotten that I had the manual steps to that revertpendingactions cmd in my "toolbox".

Boot up into the advanced boot options and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt then enter these commands -

c:

If you still get the error, create a restore point as the next steps involve making changes to the registry, then go back into the Recovery Environment/Command Prompt and enter -

c:

(While you couldn't find this file, let us know if this command completes okay or if you get any error messages).

regedit

Locate the following folder - C:\windows\system32\config\components and click on to select.

You will now see the key offline_components - expand the + then locate and delete the following subkeys -

Go back to the key Offline_Components - highlight it then go to File menu and select Unload Hive

Close up the registry sections and reboot.

Run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter -

net stop wuauserv

cd %systemroot%

ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

That ren cmd will remove your Windows Update history but that will soon repopulate with subsequent updates.

As you will be probably be doing these steps from home, copy & paste this reply into a Notepad or Wordpad doc and then you'll be able to refer to them without having to go back on line at the library.

In Vista, it might be a hidden folder

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Going back to your Reply #15, I would think the Win 10 related ones have probably been pulled as no longer being relevant but would only get those back issue ones if you were installing all of the updates from scratch - say after a reinstall or factory reset, but for Vista, there was never a free Win 10 upgrade so that wouldn't be a problem in this case.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Seems I still have a copy of vista somewhere if he needs, can lend to him to run the ;

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

or, is it possible their is an online service needed?

hmm.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That's very generous of you - I have a Vista SP2 x64 bit ISO I can burn him a couple of disks from if he needs any.

However, until the pending is resolved, the offboot sfc won't run either.

The d: in the offboot sfc cmd that you have posted is dependent upon where Windows sees the OS.

When you boot up with an install disk, make a note of where it finds the OS to repair, but before running the cmd you can enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and you use whichever letter it gives for the partition.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
yes , but he can run a system repair hat will cleanup his system...

maybe a better solution for him?

Hey, whats that paypal object poping up now?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As you will have seen from your last link, when there's a pending repair, the offboot sfc /scannow cannot execute as I've already said.

Please read fully any links before posting as this could lead to confusion.

Wait until VacationDreamer has a chance to try out my last suggestions which have been proven to work and to post back before throwing others into the mix.

Offline VacationDreamer

• View Profile
Boggin sorry for the delay.  Guess this not my computer year.  My wife was using another daughters Toshiba laptop Windows10 upgrade and had it shut off on her.   It will need to go to a repair shop.  The laptop over heated. She leaves it on for days. and both the fans on the cooling station and in the laptop now not run. Shuts down after about 5-7 minutes.

Back to this problem.

c:

C: did not work, found that C:\Windows\System32  worked but same problem with SFC.

c:

That command worked with no error but still SFC did not work

This is where I got confused !   Ran this is Safe Mode elevated prompt for regedit and to open the folders.

regedit

When I click on the file components I am not prompted to name it.  A left click tells me the file is not associated with it for a performing action and to create an association.  A right click gives me the standard commands the rename sounds the near to what you want.   But the prompted for a name is why I am sure I did something wrong ?

The reason I hesitate is System Restore is another feature that does not work.

For some reason deleted all the net framework installations and found that updates worked and no error cannot find updates.  After all the net framework files updated I now had the update problems again.

Also deleted the 2 Sql server files  (not sure why server files were needed)  neither updated like the net framework files did.
Did not see any new problems ?

Use Secunia to check for needed updates and had problems with updating these.

Also Microsoft XML Core Services  which shows now MSXML 4.x  The new file shows 6.0   Tried but did not update
Not sure if this is important.

Secunia used to work well for me updating files but for the last year I have had problems either in updating or not showing what to do when a program is no longer supported.

Sorry for getting off track.   1st getting SFC working.
Although I think I will be sending this to my son for a reinstall.  Wish an update to Windows 7 was more reasonable.  For the price save and just buy a new laptop with 10  but that will be a while.

Thank you for your time and patience.

UncleDoug