Author Topic: Former open and save file dialog hangs (Windows 7)  (Read 5046 times)

Offline peverbeek

• View Profile
Former open and save file dialog hangs (Windows 7)
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:33:57 am »
The open/save file dialog on my Windows 7 is stuck in an endless loop. It's the former dialog of Windows XP and earlier. The new open/save dialog of Windows Vista and onwards is running ok. For example, this dialog is used by IrfanView and Reason 5. Fortunately most of my software is using the new dialog or a dialog of their own.

Running the dialog makes the amount of memory increase up to a computer crash. Using Process Monitor I've detected that the dialog software is repeating the step of retrieving the shell icons over and over again (This icons show the type of files). I've looked at shell extensions which may cause problems but I don't understand what causes the problem. I've checked my system on virusses, etc.

Thanks.

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Former open and save file dialog hangs (Windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:38:47 am »
There's a valid chance the problem is a shell extension that is no longer used or broken.

This video will help you look for that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scrv2mrXkyA

Offline peverbeek

• View Profile
Re: Former open and save file dialog hangs (Windows 7)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:31:54 am »
Thanks for the tip, jpm.

By disabling all shell extensions of the third party software, leaving only Microsoft, the problem still remains. Probably one of the Microsoft shell extensions is the problem but which one? And because the new open/save dialog is working fine and the old one isn't, it's difficult to understand what's going on.