Author Topic: 1st Post - Windows 10 Anniversay Update and subsequent automatic updates  (Read 13921 times)

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Hello,

3.9.9 Pro fails to shutdown upon completion while in SafeMode. Force a Power Down and reboot but things are awry. Years proficient, I'm here mostly to report and ask how to help anaylyze the issue, what logs, if any I can provide, etc.

Give me a break and know I have a new IBM T430 and simple network (not that I'm not capable of building a nice one out but old age has gotten the best of me.) LOL

Take it away and hit me with your best shot then we'll attempt to deal with my ability to access my Wireless Gateway with the remote admin but not resolve any URLs otherwise. Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I always ask Shane to look into any Windows Repair program problems and have emailed him with a link to your thread - but I don't understand the relevance of your thread title to what  you have posted.

I'm not expecting a reply from Shane until after the weekend so in the meantime, tell me some more about your Default Gateway etc.

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Boggin - Thanks for the reply. Old habit: Placing current Windows config in the subject title. That's all.

My AT&T Pace 5268AC Wireless Gateway is able to be reached by the lone, errant computer than cannot resolve URLs. Funny thing, I noticed an update to Adobe's Flash program and allowed it to install itself which performed flawlessly without issues but all three of my browsers fail with the error code:ERR_SSL_FALLBACK_BEYOND_MINIMUM_VERSION: TLS 1.0 connections are no longer considered secure. To securely transmit data, the server must support TLS 1.2.

I can resolve the wireless gateway's remote administration page for changing its software settings there at 192.168.1.254, so i'm left wondering if this issue has anything to do with the failing or Windows-Repair failing as it did or if it a totally altogether unrelated issue occurring because of installing my Kaspersky Internet Security software about which I have yet to learn. Hope this helps.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Inability to resolve URLs is usually a DNS, winsock or SSL problem.

It can also be because of add-ons in IE, so running IE without add-ons is another trouble shooting step if the following don't resolve.

To run IE without add-ons go Start - type run and press enter then in the run box type iexplore -extoff and press enter.

Hit the home page button to browse normally and restarting IE will boot it back up with add-ons.

To change the DNS servers go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on the adapter you are using and select Properties.

I usually uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) in there but click on (TCP/IPv4) - select Properties then click on the lower radio button to Use the following DNS server addresses.

In the top row of boxes enter 8.8.8.8 then 8.8.4.4 in the lower row - check the box to Validate settings upon close - OK - Close and that will active the troubleshooter which should return no problems found.

Those are Google's DNS servers which I use instead of my ISP's.

Right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) - accept the UAC and enter -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

and then see if it still fails to resolve URLs.

As for the TLS issue, IE is now default set to use TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and any SSL boxes should be unchecked.

To check this, in IE click on the Tools cog and select Internet options then under the Advanced tab scroll down to the Security section.

While you are in Internet options click on the Content tab then click on Clear SSL state.

Usually to determine if any 3rd party programs are interfering, such as an AV program, would be to boot up into Safe Mode where they aren't loaded, but your WR program problem is occurring in Safe Mode, so it won't be because of Kaspersky.

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Hmm, you are onto something in that I'm composing email in my Yandex browser from within Safe Mode. So that's a start. Nothing else worked. Maybe we can continue troubleshooting my tweaked opsys configuration if you please. Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is the machine still unable to resolve URLs after executing those commands or running IE without add-ons ?

When something works in Safe Mode but not normal mode, a clean boot is the next step.

To perform a clean boot, go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Startup tab hit Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If Kaspersky is listed among those items, it may reinstate itself when you hit Apply.

If that is the case but resolves then you know it isn't Kaspersky, but to eliminate it as a cause, you would need to disable it in its settings.

If disabling all under Startup resolves then you need to enable just one item at a time until the problem reoccurs.

If it's still a no go then under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services before hitting Disable all etc.

It is essential that you check that box before hitting Disable all.

If that resolves then do the same with the services until the problem reoccurs.

To restore the normal boot, click the radio button for Normal startup.

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Well, sad to say I obviously have a niggle in the opsys because when I last restarted from Safe Mode, the system hung and I had to Power Off. Funny thing, I launched my Yandex browser and the only page that loaded was this message to which I am now replying.  :confused:
So, I'm off to see the Wizard with the Startup procedure you advised. This is what shows to be loaded:

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Is the machine still unable to resolve URLs after executing those commands or running IE without add-ons ?

When something works in Safe Mode but not normal mode, a clean boot is the next step.

To perform a clean boot, go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Startup tab hit Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If Kaspersky is listed among those items, it may reinstate itself when you hit Apply.

If that is the case but resolves then you know it isn't Kaspersky, but to eliminate it as a cause, you would need to disable it in its settings.

If disabling all under Startup resolves then you need to enable just one item at a time until the problem reoccurs.

If it's still a no go then under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services before hitting Disable all etc.

It is essential that you check that box before hitting Disable all.

If that resolves then do the same with the services until the problem reoccurs.

To restore the normal boot, click the radio button for Normal startup.

Well, isn't this curious. The tweaking.com site loads without incident which allows me to reply thusly. The disabling of the Startup "applications" did nothing for any other URLs but the tweaking.com site. There was NO "Disable All" on that page so I had to manually disable each individually.
I'm enclosing a screenshot of the "Services" tab where you will see similarly there is no "Disable All" option for selection nor is there either a "Hide All Microsoft Services" option as well.
I've never seen anything like this at all and I do appreciate your kind assistance and hand holding.
Shucks! Now my PrtSc function isn't working. Arrgh!

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Suppin' happened!  :undecided:

I'm back to resolving URLs again. Ha! Don't know specifically what I did but I'm still working with msconfig to re-enable everything I disabled. Keep ya posted.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Then I just wasted my time typing what I was going to post :)

I assume you have now found what I described under the Services tab in msconfig ?

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
Re: 1st Post - Windows 10 Anniversay Update and subsequent automatic updates
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
Yep, I was looking at the services tab on the task manager where I had disable those entries, which btw are not apparently the cause of my issue.

I've got a load of services (where I should have been looking and am now working there) that I need to re-enable and not quite sure how to go about it other than one at a time but that's a bit tedious and will take me a while to accomplish. So, I left to working in this disabled fashion while I look for the service(s) that are afflicting me.

That confounded hang on restart (Safe and Regular Mode[at times]) is always in the back of my mind since I had to recover from a failed install of the Anniversary Update I performed here a while back. Leaves me with the sinking feeling there may be something related to that which is complicating matters for me underneath the hood. I'll hobble along until I finally opt for the 2016 MacBook Pro (tricked to the nines) that I'm wanting to get when the price and time is right.

I can say you've been a wonderful resource for me to accomplish tasks I'm already familiar with but these things happen so rarely to me that I'm hard pressed to remember the sequence in which I need to attempt to recover. Also, how's the initial issue I first posted here coming along with Shane?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 04:21:34 pm »
No reply yet but I wouldn't expect one over the weekend.

Do you still have the original problem and what are you checking for now that you are able to get to the URLs, which is what the clean boot was for ?

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »
Let me reflect, mentally masticate and get some other work done. I'll be back soon.  :artist:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:57 am »
I must apologise for the miss info on the startup items.

I'd forgotten that you were using Win 10 and I'd just recently given those instructions to two others who were using Win 7 on another forum and that was still on my mind.

How are you getting on with eliminating the services ?

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 10:22:51 am »
No worries mate.  :wink:
The services are worrying me because there are so MANY of them to re-enable one at a time. Tedious! But I'll take it one at a time I suppose. I'll keep you appraised as to what I see and if, or not, I encounter issues. Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »
Okay - With the services, Microsoft suggest enabling half at a time but if a problematic one is found to be in that group, then you have to disable them again to find which one.

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »
Bought a new 1TB SSD for the box and am switching out the old HDD for this new piece of equipment.  :artist:

Bought two 8GB sticks of RAM and ditchin' the old. In with the new! LOL Since the IBM warranty just expired, I had a few bucks and went a bit wild. :)

Anyway, this is one for sure fire way to eliminate any questions and I can copy over important stuff as needed. I told ya I''d keep ya posted.  :sarcastic:

Wish me luck.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
It's possible that the Anniversary Update could have caused your problems so you may be taking them with you when you transfer to the SSD, but time will tell.

Offline chuckenheimer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »
Not gonna do it. Isn't prudent. (Dana Carvey's voice imitating George W.)

Fresh install with an Anniversary Update installed on a fresh Win10 install. That'll do it. I can then use my technical gear to get what I need from the storage areas on that hard drive and it'll soon be sitting in an external enclosure. My Mama didn't raise no fool. LOL

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »
Best of luck then :)