Author Topic: Connecting computer to TV via HDMI  (Read 6562 times)

Offline wghamilton

• View Profile
Connecting computer to TV via HDMI
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:32:11 am »
I have not been able to connect my Dell XPS laptop to the TV using HDMI cable since upgrading from Win7 to Win10.

After posting the above, I decided to ReStart the computer with the HDMI cable attached.  I now get video on the TV but no sound.  When I click on Sound and Playback devices; I see the message AMD HDMI Output Not Plugged In.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:02:55 pm by wghamilton »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting computer to TV via HDMI
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 01:44:24 pm »
Sorry, can't help you with that.

I can't check this out because the laptop that I've upgraded to Win 10 doesn't have a HDMI socket whereas another that does have the socket isn't Win 10 compatible, so will be staying at Win 7.

I did buy a HDMI cable for that laptop but have never gotten around to hooking it up.

You could try to see if it's a Codec problem by using K-Lite Codec pack - https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

However, if the set up previously used Windows Media Center, that is no longer a part of Win 10 and users have been substituting VLC for that.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:21 pm »
I got a 32" Sanyo much cheaper than a monitor to use for that, as was hdmi ready. Connected them and had video without audio for a time till I discovered a blip somewhere that the hdmi cable will not carry sound in this particular application. Add a sound cord, 2 to 1, 2 from the laptop out to one at the TV and then use the generic Windows high def audio driver as your sound option and should work like a charm. 

Offline wghamilton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:43:45 am »
Thank you.  That should be a clever work around.  The HDMI was fully functional in Windows 7.  My problem started with Windows 10.