Author Topic: Disaster windows repair, all digital signatures "unknown" including Microsoft  (Read 6024 times)

Offline AndreasH

• View Profile
Hi all,

I'd been having a problem with windows updates not working automatically and thought to try windows repair from tweaking.com
I am on Windows 10 home 64bit Version 1607 build 14393.82

What a disaster. I first tried full electrical shutdown. No problem.
I then ran windows repair for windows update only (all other options unchecked) after a registry backup.
Ran fine. However, now all applications come up as "Unknown publisher".
Reverted to backed up registry.
No change.

I now have no access to device manager or almost any application without security control or not at all.
E.g. Device Manager: please see attached screenshot.

This program is a disaster, it would seem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you use the program to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

Run another sfc /scannow to see to see if it still reports corruption.

If it does then download SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html which will produce its own report which you can copy & paste into the reply box.

To determine if it is a corrupt profile should you still have corruption, run this command to enable the hidden admin account -

net user administrator /active:yes

exit

then reboot.

This will put an Admin icon onto the desktop which you log in with to see things work normally then.

To disable the admin account when done, change :yes to :no in the command as this account shouldn't be used as normal.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
My program didnt do that. The repair windows updates doesnt touch the user access control. It simply resets windows updates and thats it.

You restored the registry and you still have the problem, then that means the problem wasint in the registry or anything the program did as you restored the registry to before the repairs.

Have you checked your system for any infections? Try adwcleaner and malwarebytes anti rootkit.

Shane