Author Topic: Turn off Windows 10 pop up's?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Turn off Windows 10 pop up's?
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:58:25 pm »
Is there any way to turn off Windows 10 pop up which says its searching for a solution to a problem?  There is no point in this since it can never find anything, just wastes time.

This is sort of like when I plug a USB in & it says that it has a problem & should be scanned to fixed to fix errors.  If you do the scan it always comes back with no problems.

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turn off Windows 10 pop up's?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:47:59 am »
You are getting the pop up because something is wrong, so that is what you need to address.

Have you tried the USB in different ports and/or with any other USBs unplugged, as sometimes you can get a conflict.

Do you get an Unknown device in Devices and Printers ?

Under USB Controllers in Device Manager right click on USB Root Hub, select Properties and under the Power Management tab check to see if the box is checked for allow computer to turn off this device to save power - if it is then uncheck it.

In Properties you can also see if there's a driver update available or unplug the USB and uninstall the Root Hub, reboot then plug the USB back in where it should reinstall the driver - but if you get the same problem with the USB on another machine then the USB has probably gone rogue.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:18:54 pm »
As an afterthought, has Windows assigned it a drive letter ?

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »
It does assign a drive letter.  I have several USB flash drives as well as a cady that can have a SSD or regular HDD's.   As long as only 1 is plugged in it always assigns it the first available letter which is 'E'.  My 'C' drive is an SSD & contains only programs.  My data file, music, photos video is on a 2TB HDD called 'D'.  I also had a DVD burner as well as a Blu-ray burner which I assigned 'Y' & 'Z' just to get them away from the the more frequently used areas.

I should add that the portable flash drives are always called 'E'  & then I can give it a name like 32GB  or the name of the brand.  This is just so I can easily see whats plugged in.  This means that the 32GB drive will be called 'E' one time but if I was to have a second one plugged in it might be called 'F' but still called 32GB.

Maybe this causes Windows 10 64 bit to be confused.

The getting of meaningful names on the PC also applies to other devises as well.  For instance If I click on networking I see names for HDD's, printers, monitor etc that are often difficult to relate to what you though they would be called.  Is it possible to rename these devises as well?

Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:06:17 am »
I would uninstall those items and unplug them, then add one at a time to see when you start to get the pop up.

I've never heard of naming a particular drive, but I can plug two 1TB drives in and they will be listed as Drives 1 and 2 in Disk Management and assigned with letters D: and F: - my CD-ROM is always E:

My printer which has a card reader is always assigned as Z: which was assigned by Windows.

If you aren't using those other devices permanently, then just plug them in as and when required.