Author Topic: Closed out of administrator - no access to control panel or sys restore?  (Read 7730 times)

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
Probably something very simple I have overlooked. Early version of Win 10. Thankful to find your entrance to safe mode!!  Kudos for that!! :wink:   I ran all of the virus and malware apps with nothing except 2 adwares found on AVG with low concern which I deleted. Checked for root kits and all I could look for, ran the Tweaking Win Repair and found a lot in the parsing which was repaired. Restarted and ran again. One more, so repeated, got up the repair option itself and found several repairs needed, completed, rebooted, ran again, clear. Followed all the way through.  Still no resolution.

I have two accounts listed now, mine and administrator (which is new).  I had all administrative privileges naturally. Problem that showed up 2 days ago which started all the work is that I cannot get into system restore or settings of any kind. No administrative privileges available in either account or way to get to them.

Message that appears is as follows:    RESTRICTIONS
This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

I found 2 very old topics that had this message but neither remotely apply.  Anybody tell me what I seem to be missing here?  I cannot get into system restore, control panel or much that can help me.  Seems to me I saw this with someone else before and it was a missing driver? But my memory is not that good.  Thanks for any help, TJ

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Closed out of administrator - no access to control panel or sys restore?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
Have you tried the restore points in Safe Mode if they are enabled ?

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:15:45 pm »
I am able to get into the safe mode, but most apps still respond the same way.  Let me in to sys properties so I was hoping I could get in the back door, but no luck there either.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:26:05 am »
Are you able to access a Command Prompt (Admin) in Safe Mode ?

If you can, see what a sfc /scannow has to report.

If that reports it is unable to repair all files then enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This can appear to hang at 20% but will complete then run another sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains.

Are you able to download a Win 10 ISO and create a bootable disk or USB to perform a repair install ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You could also use this to directly upgrade your Win 10 as the Media Creation Tool (MCT) has been updated to the latest version.

It will do this without affecting your personal stuff or any programs you have installed, but is best done with your AV program disabled.

You will need to do this in normal mode, but I think you will be able to download and create bootable media in Safe Mode with Networking.

To perform the repair install, you will need to boot up then install the disk or USB and then double click on the device or click on the setup.exe.

As you will be reinstalling Win 10, I think it should sort your problem.

Offline crazy4years

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »
sfc says Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.  I ran sfc earlier thru the Tweaking Win 10 Repair and it pulled up one item and fixed it, ran it a second time and all was good, also ran the disk scan and no bad sectors. Now to continue . . .

Deployment Image Servicing and Mgmt tool says operation completed successfully. Still not able to get to control panel so will go with the
re-install. I have no idea.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:15:23 pm by crazy4years, Reason: To include other step in the answer. »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 01:15:29 am »
This may be academic now if you've gone with the reinstall, but do you remember what you were doing immediately prior to having this problem - had you download anything for example or had any Windows Updates installed ?

Are you able to check the update history ?

As for a missing driver, can you get into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for any yellow alerts or red crosses ?

Offline pnh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
I've purchased and run the Tweaking softare and so far cannot open power options nor can I open control panel.  Can't quite see the benefit of this, I'm running Win 7 64 bit, or a subset thereof.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 03:46:15 pm »
I've purchased and run the Tweaking softare and so far cannot open power options nor can I open control panel.  Can't quite see the benefit of this, I'm running Win 7 64 bit, or a subset thereof.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but can you open your own thread in the Tweaking.Com Help and Support section and give us some more details as to why you ran the Windows Repair program.

If you use the program to boot back into Safe Mode, use Option 5 to restore the registry to see if that resolves the immediate problems you have posted.