Author Topic: Clean installed Windows 10. 2 major issues persist. 1.Freezing. 2.PC shuts down  (Read 12653 times)

Offline minun

• View Profile
I do not want to type down wrong assumptions. Please ask questions and I will answer to the best of my abilities. I hope we can trouble-shoot this.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:44:56 am by minun »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Freezing and shutting down could relate to overheating problems.

Are you using a desktop pc or laptop - with a desktop pc the BIOS can have the temperatures but not so with a laptop.

Offline minun

• View Profile
Freezing and shutting down could relate to overheating problems.

Are you using a desktop pc or laptop - with a desktop pc the BIOS can have the temperatures but not so with a laptop.

Desktop PC.

How do I find out if it is a over-heating issue?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:16:33 am by minun »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If you can boot up into the BIOS it should display them in some part of it.

While you are in the BIOS also check the voltages as a failing PSU can also cause problems.

The 3.3, 5 and 12v should be within Plus/Minus 5% of their value.

There is a program that you can download, but if it's freezing and shutting down, then that will be a no go.

If the fans are going full bore, that will be a definite clue, depending upon how long the machine runs for before it shuts down.

The program is the free Version of HWMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hit the SETUP • ENGLISH button down on the left.

Opening up the case to see how much dust etc. is in there can also be a tell-tale and giving it a good clean out could resolve if there is a build up.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:15:20 am by Boggin »

Offline minun

• View Profile
Does these look okay to you?

http://imgur.com/a/Z0AiY

The 3.3, 5 and 12 are indeed plus/minus %5 of their value.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:32:19 am by minun »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Your voltages look fine but I'm a little puzzled that it shows two AMD Radeon R9 200 graphics cards where one is working and the other doesn't appear to be.

Offline minun

• View Profile
Your voltages look fine but I'm a little puzzled that it shows two AMD Radeon R9 200 graphics cards where one is working and the other doesn't appear to be.

My card is the 295x2, so it is technically 2 GPUs in one.

Do you think the GPU could be the problem? How would I know for certain?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It could be where the other bit only kicks in with more intense graphic requirements.

You could take the card out and gently clean the pins with an eraser or cotton buds and spirit.

Run Furmark for about 20mins to stress the graphics and watch the temps - I'm not sure if you will also be able to have HWMonitor running at the same time to see if the other one does kick in.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Offline minun

• View Profile
It could be where the other bit only kicks in with more intense graphic requirements.

You could take the card out and gently clean the pins with an eraser or cotton buds and spirit.

Run Furmark for about 20mins to stress the graphics and watch the temps - I'm not sure if you will also be able to have HWMonitor running at the same time to see if the other one does kick in.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

My computer shuts down just by trying to open a game or watching a youtube video, I think it'll turn off ASAP if I stress test, going to RMA both PSU and GPU.

I have a questions, my power supply cables are 6 years old, do they usually wear out?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, cables can deteriorate.

Have you opened up the case to see if there is a build up of fluff etc. because that definitely sounds like overheating.

Offline minun

• View Profile
Yes, cables can deteriorate.

Have you opened up the case to see if there is a build up of fluff etc. because that definitely sounds like overheating.

I have open case, no fluff, I can't tell whats overheating because everything is still cool when it shuts down.

My logic is that the GPU is trying to draw power and the PSU is no longer supplying it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Download the free version of HWMonitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hit the SETUP • ENGLISH button down on the left.

This will show your voltages and temps, but I'm not sure how accurate the voltages will be that it displays as on two different forums, users have reported them low and in one case, they still reported as low even after a more powerful PSU had been fitted.

However, you should be able to check the voltages in the BIOS - you may even be able to check the temps in there.

The voltages should be within Plus/Minus 5% of their value.

To eliminate the GPU, boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if it still shuts down.

This will use the on board VGA and isolate the GPU.

Offline minun

• View Profile
Temperatures are good.

3 5 and 12 are within 5%

thanks for the suggestion, I will do that, if it doesn't shut down I can assume its the PSU? and if it freezes, what does that say?

Offline minun

• View Profile
I successfully was able to operate in safe mode for a feel hours compared to my computer shutting down within half hr or less in normal.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That would tend to suggest that it is the GPU but other drivers aren't loaded in that mode either, one of them being the audio drivers.

You could update those and take out the graphics card and gently clean the pins before you condemn the card.

This can be done with an eraser or cotton buds and isopropanol.

If you hadn't downloaded anything prior to this happening then I think we can assume it's nothing in your Startup menu, but I think you should try and eliminate an infection.

In Safe Mode with Networking run the ESET Free Online Scanner - https://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Check the two boxes for PuPs and PuMs then click on Advanced and check those boxes, although it will be optional if you want to exclude Archives and Proxy.

Offline minun

• View Profile
I have a antivirus in place already.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No antivirus is 100% effective although Norton Security has done a good job of keeping me safe, but if you are happy that you are infection free, try the rest of what I've suggested in my Reply #14.

Offline minun

• View Profile

Check the two boxes for PuPs and PuMs then click on Advanced and check those boxes, although it will be optional if you want to exclude Archives and Proxy.

^ I don't know what this means.

I already have RMA in place for my PSU and GPU, they upgraded my AX1200 to AX1200i and XFX will being checking my gpu when they receive it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
From memory when you run the ESET Free Online Scanner there are two boxes to check for PuPs and there's an Advanced button to select other options to include in the scan.

So have you already sent those items back and awaiting replacements ?

Offline minun

• View Profile
From memory when you run the ESET Free Online Scanner there are two boxes to check for PuPs and there's an Advanced button to select other options to include in the scan.

So have you already sent those items back and awaiting replacements ?

I have a PSU on the way, I will send them both back on the 12th since it is cheaper to ship from the states. I will update after my hardware change is completed in 2 weeks.