Author Topic: Remote Desktop IP Monitor Blocker  (Read 11679 times)

Offline kkay

• View Profile
Remote Desktop IP Monitor Blocker
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:16:53 am »
Shane I've had this program for some time.  As far as I know it is working, and I've never seen an IP address pop up, which I guess is a very good thing.  For the 2nd time lately, the program closed, and I didn't do it, or know when it was closed.  I don't know if it is a bug, or what.  I am running Win10 with all updates done.  No av or malware that I'm aware of, and did scans today, it showed nothing.  Any ideas on this, or have you heard this happening at all? 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Desktop IP Monitor Blocker
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:41:12 am »
While I'm not aware of the program you are referring to or its function, does it still close down in Safe Mode with Networking and have you downloaded anything recently ?

This could also be because of a glitch conflict with your antivirus program.

I'll need some more details before I can pass this onto Shane.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:51 am »
I can't think of anything I've downloaded recently that may cause this.  I have not tried to close it in safe mode with networking.  I guess you mean while connected to the internet.  You can exit and close the program without doing that.  Since I have Win10 I haven't used safe mode yet.  I did do a Windows update manually via the catalog.  (just one)  I use ESET NOD 32 antivirus.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:42 am »
Antivirus programs can become quite protective when it comes to anything Internet related and booting up into Safe Mode with Networking will isolate 3rd party AV programs.

This mode will also isolate all other start up items and is a standard procedure to check when things don't work as they should in normal mode.

Remember to Ethernet connect for that mode as Win 10 disables wireless.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:02:41 am »
I am hardwired to the modem.  I always use this method these days.  I have shut off wireless connections entirely when I got Win10. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:40 am »
You don't need to as from Win 8.# when you wired up, wireless is auto disabled.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:31:34 am »
I unplug the ethernet cord here and there.  I also unplug the modem some lately at night.  I've noticed with the ethernet cord pulled, the activity light on the modem can still go kinda crazy.  So I didn't want to take chances.  I have been pulling the power cord too, before bed...most of the time. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:25 am »
Your router is permanently broadcasting a wireless signal whether you have your machine connected to it or not or have it switched on.

The wireless light flashing is normal and nothing to worry about.

It's best to keep your router switched on as your ISP's Line Management may see that as an unstable connection and increase the SNRM which will result in a slower sync speed, although an overnight switch off is usually acceptable, although it can depend upon the Line Management.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:22 am »
All I have is a modem.  So you mean it is best to keep it plugged in all the time?  When I am going to be away from the keyboard for over 30 minutes, I usually pull the ethernet cord.  I started doing that as one day a message popped up when I was by the door.  I could've sworn it was in red.  When I went to see what it was, it disappeared.  I looked at notifications, and saw nothing.  I tried to look at event viewer, but saw nothing. So that worried me. With all these hackers, I try to be as safe as possible.  I used to have a firewall that would tell you who who was hitting your firewall.  A lot of them were coming from China.  Now I guess it is from all over. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
So you can only connect by Ethernet ?

I had a router that was constantly under attack from various IP addresses from its log but the router's firewall kept them at bay.

The alert may have been something that ESET had blocked.

Does ESET have a history log of what it has blocked that you can check ?

Is the program behaving as it should in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 03:04:02 pm »
Yes, I can only use a wired modem.  This is a desktop.  When my firewall was being hit before, I had Zone Alarm.  It actually became annoying with so many alerts.  It was almost always Chinese ip addresses too.  Then I went to Comodo.  I liked it for a long time, and then I quit using it.  It became too difficult for me to use.  I've had other firewalls in the past too.  I loved Online Armor, but it wouldn't work with my Win8 computer.  So I quit using it.  (I had the paid version back then)  I had set up the Win8/8.1 computer to do safe mode, but haven't tried it with this computer in Win10. 

I saw nothing in ESET logs that would explain this at all.  The last time the Remote Desktop IP Monitor Blocker closed was several days ago.  It may be days before it happens again.  The program closed sometime yesterday, but I didn't notice it until late last night.  When I can I will try the computer in safe mode for a little while, but doubt if I will see the Tweaking RDIMB program close that way.  It gives no warning, and I see no message.  Just one minute it is there, and then it's not. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »
Can you explain how that program works ?

I was under the impression that the program should be running all of the time and not shutting down.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »
It shouldn't be shutting down on it's own, or anything else.  It should run at start-up, and not ever shut off, unless I exit and close the program myself.  That is why I posted the thread.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »
I didn't realise this was one of Shane's programs.

Seeing if it shuts down on its own or not in Safe Mode with Networking can point to something conflicting installed on your computer.

If it doesn't shut down then you will need to perform a clean boot.

You would do this by first by disabling all of the items under Startup in Task Manager and if it still shuts down, then go Start - type msconfig and under the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services then Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If that resolves then re-enable two or three services at a time to see how the program performs after the reboot, but as it's only intermittent then its shut down may coincide with a particular task.

If those steps are too indeterminate to diagnose, I'll ask Shane if he has any idea why it should be shutting down just now and again.

Offline kkay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 04:18:54 pm »
Thank you.  I will try that when I can.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:21 pm »
I've emailed Shane for any suggestions, but not sure when I'll get a reply.